Quasiturbine

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
NickT

Quasiturbine

I was just looking for some information about another topic and found this, very interesting engine

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/quasiturbine.htm
Last edited by NickT on 25 May 2006, 21:33, edited 1 time in total.
NickT

Ciro Pabón

Yes, it is, I totally agree. There has been mentioned before, a little here and a lot here.

I was thinking that none of these posts mention that the main problem are the lateral seals, not the carriage seals, so I take the opportunity to say it.

Also, the posts say that there is nothing more unbeatable as a piston engine. I cede the floor to Mr. Saint-Hilaire, visible head of the Quebec family that, legendarily, designed the engine on their free time, with this purpose in mind, in a summer vacation:

"... the sinusoidal crankshaft has actually been a major obstacle to the development of modern optimized engines. In contrast, the Quasiturbine design allows us to shape in time the volume pulse in the combustion chamber, which is something that a piston or Wankel engine simply can't do. This really optimizes the thermodynamic efficiency for the Quasiturbine combustion-cycle."

You really have to love those crazy french-canadians (Go Jacques!).

I would only add: "Eat that, Ferrari!" :wink:

I noticed that Mr. Saint-Hilaire doesn't mention the six-stroke engine, with its adjustable chamber volume (by joining the piston to the crankshaft with a cam instead of a rod), mentioned on the posts I gave, so maybe Ferrari will have the last laugh.

I'd like to mention also that there have been recent developments:

* the Université de la Concorde acquired one in April

* there are crazy ideas in forums about using quasiturbines inside of the wheels.

As you can imagine, I loved that one because it seems impractical at first sight! I loved even more when somebody pointed out it has been tried in 1920, with classical rotary engines.

* there is an association (with the longest page I have ever seen in the Internet, and a photo of a really weird, pure breed Canadian, quasiturbine family car).

* and there is a site that will drown you in technical info.

* I left this one for the end: there is a white paper that goes by the unforgettable name of (I am not making this up!):

"Quantum Parallel: The Saint-Hilaire “Quasiturbine” As The Basis For a Simultaneous Paradigm Shift In Vehicle Propulsion Systems. An entry into the “Post Piston Engine Era” for Optimum Efficiency and Environmental Benefits"

that you can find here.

Which reminds me of the old joke of the mathematician, the physic and the engineer.... that I will tell only if asked.
Ciro

dumrick

Ciro Pabón wrote:Which reminds me of the old joke of the mathematician, the physic and the engineer.... that I will tell only if asked.
Pleeaasseee!!! :D

Very interesting concept, by the way. Must look deeper at it later.

NickT

Go on Ciro , tell the joke :?
NickT

Ciro Pabón

NickT wrote:Go on Ciro , tell the joke :?
This is the one I was thinking about: the Zeno's paradox.

The following question was made to a mathematician, a physicist and an engineer:

- All the college boys are at one side of the football field. All the college girls are at the other side. Every 5 seconds, they travel half the distance that separate them. When will they meet?

The mathematician answers immediately: "Never"
The physicist answers, after thinking a little: "In an infinite time"
The engineer takes his calculator and after a while declares: "In 60 seconds they will be close enough for any practical purpose..."

Then you have the one about a priest, a lawyer and an engineer.... :wink:
Ciro

NickT

:lol: excellent :lol:

Now the next one
NickT

Ciro Pabón

NickT wrote::lol: excellent :lol:

Now the next one
One day a priest, a lawyer and an engineer went to be guillotined.

The priest's head is placed over the sinister wooden block. The executioner pulls the rope to release the guillotine mechanism and.... the blade, stuck, doesn't fall. The priest starts to yell: "Miracle! Miracle!". The guards release him. After all they were believers...

Is the lawyer turn. Again, the executioner pulls the rope... nothing. The lawyer starts to talk about the "inconstitutionality of two executions for the same crime". The guards release him. After all, they did not want to argue with a lawyer...

Finally, the engineer's head is placed over the blood drenched, dark wood block. The executioner pulls the rope.... and it fails for the third time. The engineer turn his head, look up to the blade and exclaims:

"Wait I minute! I think I see where the problem is!"
Ciro

ackzsel

That one did it! :D