Force India VJM05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
horse

Re: Force India VJM05

It's interesting that the nose of the FI is a little more rounded at the sides than the Caterham or the Ferrari. I wonder what they were thinking there?

"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

dren

Very tight sides with a sizeable undercut! If the exhaust blowing does happen to be a noticeable performance increase this year, I expect that to hurt FI. Other than that, I think they may have taken a good step forward.
Honda!

dren

horse wrote:It's interesting that the nose of the FI is a little more rounded at the sides than the Caterham or the Ferrari. I wonder what they were thinking there?
That might be because they have the camera mounted to the front.
Honda!

auto saibot

first of all, i really hoped for a platypus style nose on vjm05, was bored of the same nose and front wing design for the last 2 years.
But the car is damn radical as whole! :o once again they have shown courage to go for fresh and non-conservative design philosophy.
it looks like a mclaren and ferrari beater, in looks at least (definitely a ferrari beater :D ), and in performance, i hope it can lift force india above the upper mid-field. its going to be a really exciting f1 season.

ESPImperium

horse wrote:It's interesting that the nose of the FI is a little more rounded at the sides than the Caterham or the Ferrari. I wonder what they were thinking there?

Also note the roll hoop supports as well.

auto saibot

noticed now the front wing pillars, seem to be working similar to mp4-26 to provide flexing at high speeds

NonNewtonic

The exhaust looks almost identical to the one on MGP W01 before they intrduce the blown diffuser

madly

This car looks very sculpted and tight. I expect FI could fight for bigger points this season. Good job done!

If you brighten CT-01 render you will see how more fat is Caterham's sidepods near the floor. It's day and night...

shelly

being fat by the floor could be a choice. Iirc RB7 was the fattest there in 2011
twitter: @armchair_aero

FrukostScones

Brilliant looking car! It is more SWB than the others I think.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

neilbah

Front wing is interesting, the way the middle plane attaches to the inside, is this a 2 element wing turned into a 3 with a slot like Mercedes used? Very red bull shape to to the main elements.

Forza

The downside of nose and cockpit look similar to what RB had in previous years. However the uppers side of the nose is rounded too and it reminds me of what w01 had.
Last edited by Forza on 03 Feb 2012, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.

Mchamilton

neilbah wrote:Front wing is interesting, the way the middle plane attaches to the inside, is this a 2 element wing turned into a 3 with a slot like Mercedes used? Very red bull shape to to the main elements.
you'll find that is how red bull have been doing their front wing since i think the RB5, ferrari adopted it with their new wing design half way through last year

mx_tifoso

Is that an indent on the black surface at the end of the engine cover?

Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Tozza Mazza

Wooo, a feature from my own design, and one of my own ideas on this car!

Camera is now the very tip of the nose, and the nose is designed around this. Happy this is on the car, as it's something I thought about in July time :D