Traction control

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
chris_w

Traction control

Can anyone confirm the situation this year with regard to tc and other driver aids?

My understanding was that they were banned as of the beginning of this season (after being postponed last year) so are the cars we see testing now running without tc etc?

Here's hoping...

Chris

KJ
KJ

TC has NOT been banned.

Fully automatic shifting has been banned, so now the drivers have to do their own shifting.

Launch Control has also been banned, so drivers have to do manual starts now.

- KJ

Steven
Owner

hi chris! welcome here

from what I know, traction control wil not be banned, however launch control will be. Not 100% sure however

Thanks!

Hmmm, shame tc hasn't gone but steps in the right direction. Surprised that auto shifting's gone, can't make that much difference as shifting gears isn't exactly the art form it used to be...

Chris

bernif2003

I think that the TC is banned under 100 km/h... but im not sure at all.
It is a very dificult system to keep under regulations by FIA.... and I dont know what will we the final solution. For example, is posible to build a TC system wich you can't hear that it is actuating, and you wolud never know that this car is using it.
But the launch control and automatic gearboxes are totaly banned for 2004.
This week at barcelona tests, Juan Pablo Montoya was testing the manual startings with his willams. He was starting at 10500-11500 rpm, for I could see at his dispaly.

Scuderia_Russ

You're right,it can't be used up to 60 m.p.h.
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

rodlamas

The fact is that Adrian Newey has mentioned that it is possible to hide the Launch Control with the use of the Traction Control.

In my mind this is not so difficult to do. Having TC not been banned you just have to use the pit limiter button.

You just must use a first gear that at 100 km/h has the ideal rpm´s for starting.

Then you stop at the grid put it into neutral and engage the P.L.S.

Engage first gear and hold it into de clutch. When the reds lgo out just release the clutch and then afterwards release the P.L.S.

Got it?
"I only race to finisht first, because the second is the first looser" Ayrton Senna

Irvingthien

Interesting to see why traction control wasn't banned as well. The motor racing i used to know is to see which is the best driver in the world, not the driver who has the best cars.

bernif2003

The most of people wants to see a F1 without TC, but it is very dificult to control and bann by FIA. The teams have 30 enginers working for this system, while FIA have only 2 or 3.... so it's imposible to bann.

rodlamas

There´s no way you can ban such things.

As the guy said, there are much more engineers at the teams than at FIA, so banning TC is virtaully impossible.

But LC is clearly something that makes all the "starting procedures" automatic, i.e., engaging first gear, pressing the clutch, selecting the correct revs etc. You just press a button and then it just does all for you.

But as I mentioned before, it´s possible to hide LC inside TC. Let´s just see how is going to try to do it and whos is not.

Probably if Ferrari develop such a thing, everyone is going to copy and it´ll be OK. But if Reanult, Mclaren, Williams or BAR do it, of course it´s going to be banned.

This is hoe the FIA operates since the bellyrium affair in late 2000.
"I only race to finisht first, because the second is the first looser" Ayrton Senna

[quote="rodlamas"]
Probably if Ferrari develop such a thing, everyone is going to copy and it´ll be OK. But if Reanult, Mclaren, Williams or BAR do it, of course it´s going to be banned.
[quote]

??? Interesting,cynical but ultimately wrong!

Andi76

Re:

rodlamas wrote:
07 Feb 2004, 13:54
The fact is that Adrian Newey has mentioned that it is possible to hide the Launch Control with the use of the Traction Control.

In my mind this is not so difficult to do. Having TC not been banned you just have to use the pit limiter button.

You just must use a first gear that at 100 km/h has the ideal rpm´s for starting.

Then you stop at the grid put it into neutral and engage the P.L.S.

Engage first gear and hold it into de clutch. When the reds lgo out just release the clutch and then afterwards release the P.L.S.

Got it?
I know i answear to something posted almost 20 years ago, but i just want to make sure that if someone reads it, he did not get wrong informations.

It was not possible in 2004 to just use the pit limiter button, because if you did that the fuel filler flap opened and everybody would had seen this "trick".