Old F1 regulations

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
N12ck

Re: Old F1 regulations

machin wrote:Even designing a car to the 2004 rules, knowing what we know now, would be interesting.... like a 2008 car with even less restrictions....

It would make an interestig modelling project for someone....????
That would be awesome to do, F-ducts, DDD's, EBD's, williams rear end, sidepod winglets, ferrari nose hole, its endless what you could do with 2004 rules!
Budding F1 Engineer

machin

I don't think those regulations (1994) are anywhere near like the real '94 ones.

Way too much stuff missing.
I'm not so sure... I think the rules were simply much "lighter" back then... what do you think is missing?
Can't believe there is nothing limiting the front of the car for the 1994 rules. The whole car can be 100cm high, apart from behind the RWCL which has to be 95cm
That's right, and that's why at monaco there were such oddities as:-

and

COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

Tozza Mazza

There's nowt, that I can find, which restricts diffuser height, although I may have just missed it!

I wanna do a '94 car so bad now, just gotta get my hands on the survival cell dimensions from that season.

machin

I think that's right... you had the flat bottom rule up to the front edge of the complete rear wheel assembly and then aft of that the only things limiting the cars back then were: Physics and the technical knowledge on the subject...

There's only so much angle you can achieve in the diffuser before separation occurs (double and slotted diffusers weren't invented yet!), and there's only a finite length over which you could have a diffuser according to the overhang rules, so the diffuser height was limited...

undoubtedly going back now to these rules the teams would exploit diffusers way more than was done back then... but that's just indicative of how aerodynamic knowledge/capabililty has moved on...
Last edited by machin on 07 Feb 2012, 22:15, edited 2 times in total.

machin

Tozza Mazza wrote: just gotta get my hands on the survival cell dimensions from that season.
I don't think the rules gave survival cell dimensions back then... there's simply the rule on cockpit internal cross-sectional area....
can't find the drawings to go with the regs anywhere?
I can't see any reference to drawings in the text? I simply don't think there were any drawings; the rules were all in the text!

Tozza Mazza

F1 needs to go back to a more open regulation, such as this, at least it'll kill the ugly noses, and lead to different looking cars!

Article 13.1 references the cockpit entry template in drawing 5...

Without it the car can't be made...

machin

I'm sure you could scale off this and get it close enough.... (Maximum width or width of bodywork would do):-

jordangp

I was gonna then do 2004.... still no images. Oldest regs I can actually use are 2006.

gold333

Pingguest wrote:The 1994 technical regulations, as they were until after that year's San Marino Grand Prix.
http://www.jomenvisst.de/fia/1994Techni ... ations.htm
Thanks, but those are just the 1994 regs. I meant the planned changes or roadmap for the F1 regs drafted in 1993 (covering the 1994-1998 years I believe). Before Imola happened. I forgot it now but they had a name back then. The FIA went someplace in 1993 and drafted them.
F1 car width now 2.0m (same as 1993-1997). Lets go crazy and bring the 2.2m cars back (<1992).

gold333

ajprice wrote:On another forum there was a 'what if' question of what F1 cars would look like now using 70's regulations (early days of the wings and downforce) with modern materials (carbon etc.) and designers (eg Newey and co). Newey did the Gran Turismo X2010 as a 'no rules' car, so a 'different rules' car would be interesting.
Really? wow, do you know which forum/thread?
F1 car width now 2.0m (same as 1993-1997). Lets go crazy and bring the 2.2m cars back (<1992).

matt21

gold333 wrote:
ajprice wrote:On another forum there was a 'what if' question of what F1 cars would look like now using 70's regulations (early days of the wings and downforce) with modern materials (carbon etc.) and designers (eg Newey and co). Newey did the Gran Turismo X2010 as a 'no rules' car, so a 'different rules' car would be interesting.
Really? wow, do you know which forum/thread?
I would be interested too.

Does anybody know a ressource where I can find regulations of the late 70´s, early 80´s.
In special from 78 through to 83.

Thanks!