Caterham joins the Paydriver bandwagon, Petrov in for Trulli

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Mr.S

Caterham joins the Paydriver bandwagon, Petrov in for Trulli

Vitaly Petrov will race with the Caterham team during the 2012 season, taking Jarno Trulli's place at the squad, it was confirmed on Friday.

The Russian had been linked with the outfit for several weeks despite the veteran Italian having a contract with the team he had raced for since the 2010 season.

Petrov was left without a racing drive after Renault - now Lotus - signed Kimi Raikkonen and Romain Grosjean for the 2012 season.

The 27-year-old from Vyborg, Russia, will partner Heikki Kovalainen at Caterham.

"This is a very exciting day for me," said Petrov. "I would like to thank Tony, Kamarudin Meranun and SM Nasarudin for giving me the chance to join a team that made its F1 debut at the same time as me, and has grown from one of the new teams to a serious force for future honours.

"The passion and spirit that Tony and the whole team have to keep moving forwards is infectious, and I am honoured to be able to join them and play my part in helping the team mount a serious challenge to the teams ahead in 2012 and for many seasons to come.

"I have been training hard all winter and am ready to get back into the cockpit and go to work. From what I have seen already, our new car is another good step forward from 2011 and now I cannot wait to see how it feels when we get to Barcelona. I would also like to take this chance to thank all my fans and partners for their support and their patience."

Petrov made his Formula 1 debut with Renault in 2010 after finishing runner-up to Nico Hulkenberg in the GP2 Series the previous year.

He has scored 64 points, including a podium finish at the season-opening Australian Grand Prix last year.

Trulli, 37, is left without a Formula 1 drive for the first time since he made his grand prix debut with Minardi in 1997.

"I want to take this chance to thank Tony, Kamarudin, SM Nasarudin, Riad, Mike and everyone in the team for the two seasons we had together," said Trulli.

"From zero we built up and established a solid F1 team. I'm really proud to have been part of it. I understand the decision the team has made and I want to wish to the whole team the very best of luck for the season ahead."

Team boss Tony Fernandes said the decision to replace Trulli had not been an easy one.

"It was not an easy decision to bring Vitaly in to replace Jarno, but it was one we made to ensure that we give fresh impetus across the whole team and with a realistic eye on the global economic market," he said.

"Jarno has an incredible natural talent behind the wheel, and his winning record and longevity in the sport will bear testament to that talent in the Formula 1 annals forever, but now it is time to open a new chapter in our team's story, and Vitaly is the right person to help us do that."

It will be the first time since 1970 than an Italian driver is not on the grid for the start of a Formula 1 season.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97552
Last edited by Steven on 18 Feb 2012, 19:13, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed typos in title

Shrieker

Re: Carteham joins the Pav Driver Bandwagon,Petrov in for Tr

Why am I not surprised.

I wish they'd have been more honest with Trulli though. He had only been testing the new car last week...
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

bhall

I'm not so oblivious to reality that I don't understand the rationale behind pay drivers. That said, I am starting to become very annoyed by them.

stringy

Shrieker wrote:Why am I not surprised.

I wish they'd have been more honest with Trulli though. He had only been testing the new car last week...
Yeah, shame about the way it was done. Can't say that I'm going to miss Trulli but I'm not exactly blown away by Petrov. Will be good to see what he can do this year though.

Richard

The definition of a pay driver is hard to pin down. A lot of drivers (most?) bring personal sponsorship to the team they drive for.

Pay drivers have been in F1 from the very beginning, so its not new or bad, just sad for Trulli to have been led on a merry dance.

Mr.S

"It was not an easy decision to bring Vitaly in to replace Jarno, but it was one we made to ensure that we give fresh impetus across the whole team and with a realistic eye on the global economic market," he said.

Says it all. The issue is that Pay Drivers these days dont have the talent. This is Vitaly's 3rd season like Bruno & they still have not 100% convinced of their talent.

I mean even Alonso has HUGE sponsorship but look at his talent & look at Vitaly's.

ParanoiD

when I read the news I was figuratively "WHOOOAAA" "WTH,poor Trulli, he tested the car last week"

Well, the power of money. Which (developing) team doesn't want money?
Whether it is Trulli or Petrov, it doesnt make any difference for them.

just my $0.02
Ay Carumba!

FW17

Every driver in lower ranks such as GP2, F2, F3000, FR3.5 are there because of the money they bring and not because of the talent.

Why should F1 be any different?

RB and JT should have packed and gone home long back but they kept sticking around in smaller teams, should have known their time

JT - Got kicked out of Renault in 2004 for the last corner embaresment to Renault at their home track, surprised that he lasted this long when others have not.

PNSD

Given the way Jarno has fared in the last few seasons against Heikki it would be wrong to assume money is the only issue here.

Jarno was not quick enough.

That said, Petrov wasn't quick enough to keep his drive, but look at Heikki; He was lost against Lewis, he had no idea what hit him! He was broken. Knocked on the door of this team, and now highly regarded with the team bosses (wasn't he almost driver of the year in 2010, and 2011??).

Petrov showed flashes of speed last year, but it went with the development of the car!! Petrov has the capability of being quicker than he was last year, and the year before.. Trulli lost that idea a while ago. He's had a good career, a Monaco winner and by the sounds of it he has bowed out gracefully.

Pay driver? Sure, but you can be sure he wont be any slower.

A13EX_f

as said before the term "pay drivers" isn't quite correct every driver will have their own personal sponsors that advertise on the car and pay the team and the driver a fee.
The difference between drivers like alonso button etc are they have earnt their sponsors by being good drivers where as drivers like maldonado and petrov they have earnt their sponsors by the fact they were born in oil rich countries and it suits the advertisers to have a local face.
In the past the big companies would have just gone out ans sponsored a team but nowadays the sponsors expect much more back in return such as personal appearances and the rights to use that driver in adverts etc. take santander for example they sponsor mclaren and ferrari and in return use lewis and jenson in tv adverts in the uk and no doubt use alonso and massa in other european countries like spain / italy.

stefan_

I think this is a good move for Caterham. Petrov can be consistent and can make a good team with Heikki. New guys unfortunately have to put money on the table like a guarantee if you like, because nobody says "Oh OK, you did good in GP2, have a seat and we don't mind if you lose your head and crash the car in the walls". Small teams can't afford to lose money like that and you can't say that every new driver is a paying driver either. If the drivers prove themselves than the sponsors will come to them.

Drivers like Trulli and Barrichello (wich I have a huge respect for) need to be realistic and to know when to back off. If you feel quick that doesn't mean you really are.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

dren

I would not be surprised if Trulli had been told all along this was going to happen, it just depended on Petrov's sponsors getting the money together.
Honda!

PlatinumZealot

Formula 1 is really a harsh place.

There is no sentiments - just raw equations and numbers. And cash is a heavy part of those equations.

I feel sad for Trulli that they didn't at least give him a clue after all his hard work and contribution over the years. Now that the car seems up to speed it would have been good to see Trulli on his way out after a few points.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

manchild

I wonder if Caterham will end up on xpensive's list because of this.

BTW, it is good to see aged and unmotivated drivers like Trulli go. All he was ever good at was qualifying in Monaco. Rest of his career was completely pale.

raymondu999

richard_leeds wrote:The definition of a pay driver is hard to pin down.
I define it as "a driver who would not have been hired had he not brought along money."

Alonso brings Santander cash. But would Ferrari have hired him anyways even without that? I daresay yes.
Last edited by raymondu999 on 18 Feb 2012, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法