Are we seeing a Vettel era?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Are we?

Yes
39%
No
61%

Total votes: 140

raymondu999

Re: Are we seeing a Vettel era?

I'm not saying Vettel is now the alpha and omega of drivers - but he's definitely a stronger driver now than he was in 2010.

RB7ate9 - why are you highlighting Silverstone 2011 in particular? I get what you're saying though - unless Webber takes points away from the other contenders Vettel wouldn't be able to get the title on his own in that sense.

Well the ideal scenario for a team would be a top of the line driver - and a teammate who is consistently 1 tenth slower. Or less. I'm not talking of sometimes being a tenth faster and sometimes 2 tenths slower - I'm talking 1 tenth across the board - that way he'll always be finishing 1 slot down from the top driver :mrgreen:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

RB7ate9

I was merely continuing off of Hail22's example, though I can start my own thesis of how pivotal Webber's role as Vettel's teammate and how not having him close by brought the few Vettel losses of 2011, citing China '11 and Canada '11 in particular. I think my diatribe would be a little off topic!

As for the ideal scenario: oh, if only it were easy to do! I'm sure the team principles would be BEYOND ecstatic!

raymondu999

Let's face it - that's a better scenario than having a Massa-Alonso situation or a Button-Hamilton situation.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

RB7ate9

raymondu999 wrote:Let's face it - that's a better scenario than having a Massa-Alonso situation or a Button-Hamilton situation.
Absolutely. If one gets down to brass tacks, a Vettel era can be guaranteed based on on the rest of the team dynamic as much as the performance of the car and his personal driving skills. If there is an established understanding within the team, every aspect of the race can be focused on keeping the other teams behind and the top driver in front.

Although I highly doubt Vettel would actually do this, actually seeing a "Vettel Era" would mean that he could make almost any team a winning team. This doesn't mean that he could go to, say HRT, and they'd pull a Brawn/Benneton, but a meaningful team such as Mercedes or Lotus/Renault. Being able to bring his talents, his style, and his determination to a team and create a winning combination is the mark of an Era. Just as much as Senna was able to go from Lotus to Mclaren, Schumacher from Benneton to Ferrari. Vettel has some of that with his transfer from Toro Rosso to Red Bull, but the future is still unwritten.

Hmm...Vettel/Rosberg...with Schumacher still as consultant. I'd like to see that happen...

raymondu999

I get what you're saying. I meant though a stretch of a few years where he was winning everything; rather than Vettel winning willy nilly whatever his machinery; and being able to bring any team out of the doldrums. To be honest I'd love to see Vettel do that after he's had a good run at RBR - maybe 3/4 titles (which let's face it - it's not exactly an unlikely proposition)
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

RB7ate9

I get what you're saying, as well, and I agree.

Perhaps if Vettel gets bored, he'll move to a back team like Virigin/HRT, just for kicks and the challenge (perhaps bringing an equally bored Newey)?

CHT
CHT

raymondu999 wrote:I'm not saying Vettel is now the alpha and omega of drivers - but he's definitely a stronger driver now than he was in 2010.
I think 2010 is a year that really transform Vettel from a boy into a man. The highlight will be how well he handled the pressure at Abu Dhabi 2010, when
both Webber, Alonso and to some extend the Ferrari team lost it.

raymondu999

Pressure's an amazing thing - so amazing you can make a case for it happening in opposite situations. While I agree that he had the pressure to HAVE to win the race in a "come on. You can't make any mistakes, you have to give us qualifying laps for the whole race" way, but on the other hand, he had nothing to lose - and so he could just let loose and throw caution to the wind. I think Vettel 2.0 came to the fore in Monza 2010 to be honest. After his shocker of a Belgian Grand Prix in 2010.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

RB7ate9

I would have to agree with you, again, Raymond.

Belgium was the last mistake that Vettel made being petulant that really ruined the rest of the race. If one looks at the rest of the career, any mistakes that he made did the minimal damage or was out of his control. The thing that perhaps makes everyone else the most angry is that Vettel, apart from his age or any inherent and natural talent, has a steadfast dedication to learning from his mistakes to improve.

The biggest concern to all the drivers that go into the paddock, I reckon, is that they all know that Vettel can break out the grit of Webber (Brazil '11), the insanity of Hamilton (Monza '11), the tenacity of Alonso (Monaco '11), the cunning of Schumacher Suzuka '11), and the smoothness of Button (Nearly every darn race '11) when the situation calls for. If he can keep it going, and continue to adapt and learn, then we'll have the Vettel Era.

raymondu999

Dear God you make him sound like Captain Marvel :lol:

Anyone remember Captain Marvel? :P He had: "the wisdom of Solomon; the strength of Hercules; the stamina of Atlas; the power of Zeus; the courage of Achilles; and the speed of Mercury"
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

marcush.

it´s a matter of RB or where he chooses to drive in the coming years.Career planning is more important than talent methinks.Can RB stay in front? how far does loyalty go for Seb?

bhall

RB7ate9 wrote:Hmm...Vettel/Rosberg...with Schumacher still as consultant. I'd like to see that happen...
I'm pretty sure that would violate a treaty of some sort. :wink:

Jeffsvilleusa

I like the concept of what defines a driver's era as the being the ability to switch teams and take momentum with you such as Senna or Schumacher, but did this ever really happen, or did it just seem to happen? When a driver is in a dog of a car, no amount of inspiration can reverse this.

I am tempted to say Newey should get most of the credit, but Vettel did put Webber in the shade last year...

Anyhow my prediction is Red Bull and Vettel will remain untouchable this year also. Of course I hope I'm wrong, but Newey is a clever fellow and he seems to have this current Formula pegged. And he always seems to be just one step ahead. While Ferrari were busy switching to pullrods, Red Bull were putting an inlet in the nose!
Box! Box!

RB7ate9

raymondu999 wrote:Dear God you make him sound like Captain Marvel :lol:

Anyone remember Captain Marvel? :P He had: "the wisdom of Solomon; the strength of Hercules; the stamina of Atlas; the power of Zeus; the courage of Achilles; and the speed of Mercury"
At the rate Vettel has been improving, I wouldn't rule it out. Isn't that a mark of a great driver? One that can adapt themselves to take the best of everyone else and apply it when needed? 8)

RB7ate9

marcush. wrote:it´s a matter of RB or where he chooses to drive in the coming years.Career planning is more important than talent methinks.Can RB stay in front? how far does loyalty go for Seb?
Very true. Which is why the thread is labled "Vettel Era". Can Vettel continue his winning streak without Red Bull and/or Newey? The answer remains elusive!