What would you add to F1technical?

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Steven
Owner

Re: What would you add to F1technical?

Just created!
:arrow: https://plus.google.com/118360792725792251248

Nothing there yet, as google's API's don't support writing data to google+, hence it all updates will be manual work :(
But then again, all facebook updates on the f1technical page are done manually as well.

Caito

I'd like to have notifications on what happens with the reported post.

Every time I can I report a post(of course, if it seems unsuitable) and I don't know if it's evenr read. I think they're, but some feedback would be nice.
Come back 747, we miss you!!

yace

it would interesting to install the "thumb" script to allow us to resize a picture
ImageImageImage

mx_tifoso

Caito, there is a field that says "further information", there you can specify that you would like to be updated with the action taken, in addition to the "notify me" button right above it.

Every single report is read, but they are dealt with as deemed most important by us. If it's to move a post then it's done asap because that doesn't take much time, but if that post was responded to by many members then it takes more consideration because it might have a deeper effect. And sometimes we have to communicate between us and that might take some time if our schedules don't align. USA, Canada, Belgium! :)
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

strad

thinks he's the hall monitor?? :lol:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

JohnsonsEvilTwin

An ignore button mods?

Save alot of work for you guys, and keep threads from spilling over.
More could have been done.
David Purley

hollus

I know there is a new layuot coming, I don't know whether it has the flexibility to do something like what I propose below.

We just are having the usual flood of new users during the testing season. While that is probably a good thing and 20-30 of them like likely become valuable regulars, right now there is just a lot of people that post as they see fit. They are new, and they don't know the usual etiquette over here. Like for example trying to stick to the car in the car threads. Many are probably not aware that there is such rule, and less that there are parallel team threads and testing threads, etc.
In particular the forum guide, read before posting thread; is probably invisible for most new users.
A separate but related issue is how many people only read the last page of a subject before posting, understandable in some fast moving threads.

So what I propose is to make such etiquette rules visible in the current page at all times. Right now there are 15 posts per page. Either the first one of those 15, or a header visible immediately before the first, could remind everyone of the rules pertaining that particular thread. Something along the lines of:
"This is a thread about car xxx. Please post only about the car. Posts about driver performance should go in other threads, posts about testing times should go in the testing thread (maybe link to it). Please do not re-post pictures that are in the post immediately above yours".
Rivals, not enemies.

Pierce89

Live timing!!! Live timing!!! Live timing!!!

Also the development blog might need a new creator to get it going again. (I don't know who does it currently and its not a cut on them,it's just that the development blog is what caused me to sign up in the first place. It was awesome in 2008
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Steven
Owner

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:An ignore button mods?

How is that going to save us any work?
Pierce89 wrote:Live timing!!! Live timing!!! Live timing!!!
Also the development blog might need a new creator to get it going again. (I don't know who does it currently and its not a cut on them,it's just that the development blog is what caused me to sign up in the first place. It was awesome in 2008
I'm afraid live timing is not on the card at the moment, but it's likely a in-site chat will be introduced, to prevent race-threads being abused and because nobody seems to like IRC anymore ;)

Secondly, the devblog is done by myself, and always has been. Work is going on to revive it of course, but unfortunately I have only two hands :|

Onch

Tomba wrote:

Perhaps I am turning into a sad cnut :( , but recently a couple of people on here make me wish there was an 'ignore poster' function too...

Not sure how much work that could save the mods, but would certainly make the threads about testing and cars much more readable/enjoyable.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Tomba wrote:

For example have a look at the testing thread. One particular poster(no names) feels the need to engage his keyboard before his brain.
When you look at what is written 98% of the time by this particular poster you cannot help feel the need for ...... #-o !

There have been innumerable responses over the last 2 months to this particular posters comments, the vast majority negative. I would hazard a guess a couple of warnings may have been issued or even considered along the way.

With an ignore function, you can simply continue using the site oblivious to any comments they make. Indeed you could further utilise this function by ignoring any post that quotes said users posts. Thereby increasing the postive experience of F1Technical.
Call it auto censorship in the absence of manual censorship. :D

End result, saves you time.
David Purley

Richard

Hi Onch & JET

If there are posts or threads that run off topic then please do use the "Report Post" button. It'll mean we can advise people that they are straying off topic.

That'll save us work in the long run as people learn better behaviour ... or get warnings & bans.

Reporting is good, and each one helps contribute to keeping the forum technical. Ignoring will brush things under the carpet which isn't really a sustainable plan.

Also as a new mod, I find the reported posts really help judge the mood of what people like and want to see on here.

Richard

Onch

I guess JET and I have the same poster(s) in mind...
Thing is that what they post is not necessarily out of topic or abusive or whatever. Nothing which according to me would require hitting the 'report' button, but nothing useful or informative either.

Now perhaps some people do find their contributions interesting, and I respect that. So the 'ignore' functionality would just make my reading more confortable, without impacting what other users might find good about F1Technical.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Onch wrote:I guess JET and I have the same poster(s) in mind...
Thing is that what they post is not necessarily out of topic or abusive or whatever. Nothing which according to me would require hitting the 'report' button, but nothing useful or informative either.

Now perhaps some people do find their contributions interesting, and I respect that. So the 'ignore' functionality would just make my reading more confortable, without impacting what other users might find good about F1Technical.
+1
David Purley

bhall

I scanned through a few pages of this thread and didn't necessarily see any related suggestions, so...

How about a section, thread, or threads devoted to a comprehensive list of updates as they are applied to each car? It would differ from the development blog in that it would be an inventory only with no real explanations. Just something nice and concise so readers wouldn't have to swim through endless chatter in the individual car threads to find updated information. It would also make navigating threads for explanations easier, because the reader would have a better idea of what he/she is looking for. Only one person would be required to list new items for each car, but they could, of course, be informed of changes by anyone.

It would look something like:

Caterham CT01:

Front wing, as of (date)
Rear wing, as of (date)
Exhaust layout, as of (date)
...and so on and so forth.

EDIT: This could also help with certain threads being hijacked for several pages at a time when someone swears they see the next revolution in F1 design in what's really an odd reflection, shadow or other optical illusion.

And I also think that terms a bit more peripheral to F1, but otherwise just as important, would be a great addition to the glossary. Terms like lift, drag, boundary layer, Coanda effect, etc, etc. The science behind F1 is very important here.