Tales from the moderating garage

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
strad

Re: Tales from the moderating garage

Richard has jumped in with both feet, but so far it's acceptable
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

donskar

If anything, I'd like to see the Mods be MORE active. IMHO, we could do without the endless back-and-forth when two posters heatedly speculate over a technical point, or especially when two hero-worshippers argue that driver X is far superior to driver Y. That sort of yes-he-is, no-he-isn't thread ought to be driven off into PMs. (And, in case you're wondering, I support the Mods completely, even though they have often whacked me about the head and shoulders with their dreaded purses.)
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

bhall

bhallg2k wrote:
waynes wrote:this team are a joke.
What else could you possibly expect from the people who did this?

(To be fair, Marussia's president and F1 technical director rose to Russian prominence as a "comic actor" and former member of Russia's '80s answer to the Beatles, Secret. Perestroika indeed.)
Ok, so exactly which part of that is more off-topic than these other gems found in the Marussia thread?
__________ wrote:Looks highly professional :lol:
__________ wrote:Now we know that flow-viz application takes two personnel. One to paint and the other to stare grumpily at their handiwork.
__________ wrote:
__________ wrote:Now we know that flow-viz application takes two personnel. One to paint and the other to stare grumpily at their handiwork.
I hear Adrian Newey has devised a system where you duct the flo-vis straight into the brush to energise the flow, very smart thinking on his part.
__________ wrote:What area is it you work in [...]?
__________ wrote:
__________ wrote:
__________ wrote:Marussia has failed crash test again. Will not make it to the second Barcelona test. Embarrasing.
Sauce?
Alice Cooper
The moderation here is becoming schizophrenic.

Richard

Not schizophrenic, but focussing on threads that get reported.

Thanks for highlighting those posts, but it would be more useful if you used the report button that is on every post.

bhall

I didn't realize that I had offended someone's sensibilities when I commented on the overall quality of Marussia's work with a little jab at the hideousness of the object they call a B2. And, naturally, I never assumed for a second that a very brief, but entirely accurate, biographical overview of one of Marussia's principle figures would cause any sort of consternation among readers.

I guess people simply don't know how to ignore things anymore.

Richard

I started this thread to prompt conversation about what people would like to see. I've found it encouraging, and I've had good feedback in PMs as well.

I wouldn't want to flood the thread with reporting particular posts or discussion of specific actions.

If anyone sees a post that is off topic or generally inappropriate, then please do click on the "Report this post button".

If you have a question about a specific moderator action, then send a PM to "Moderators". I've only been doing this for 10 days, but found a quick PM chat and explanation results in a thank you. It is good to talk.

xpensive

donskar wrote:If anything, I'd like to see the Mods be MORE active. IMHO, we could do without the endless back-and-forth when two posters heatedly speculate over a technical point, or especially when two hero-worshippers argue that driver X is far superior to driver Y. That sort of yes-he-is, no-he-isn't thread ought to be driven off into PMs. (And, in case you're wondering, I support the Mods completely, even though they have often whacked me about the head and shoulders with their dreaded purses.)
Couldn't agree more with that, don.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

strad

I think our boy Richard has gone off the deep end with his Moderator powers. When he deletes little jokes that are there to lighten a thread that is getting argumentative and in no way are offensive. Way too much Way too serious Way out of hand!
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

bhall

Yeah, I know I'm a prime offender in that category, but I don't think it's ever really interrupted the conversational flow of a thread. (Of course, I might be wrong about that, too.)

My view is that as long as a thread maintains such a flow, nothing else, save for something just truly out of line, really matters.

xpensive

strad wrote:I think our boy Richard has gone off the deep end with his Moderator powers. When he deletes little jokes that are there to lighten a thread that is getting argumentative and in no way are offensive. Way too much Way too serious Way out of hand!
Au contraire, I think richard is indeed what this forum needs in terms of active moderation.

Besides, if I was him I would have given you a board warning for referring to him as "our boy"
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

strad

:lol: :lol:
Sir Stirling Moss

Steven
Owner

Strad, technical threads do not need lightening up. They should be factual. Other driver is not wanted, not in aero, mech or car specific threads.

bhall

[I was manstruating.]
Last edited by bhall on 15 Mar 2012, 02:10, edited 1 time in total.

cossie

if ya really do not have a thick skin ,or not open to ideas outside your realm stay away, sometimes asking others uncomfortable questions are just part of the process here #-o #-o :roll: :!: :!:

bhall

[Nothing to see here.]
Last edited by bhall on 15 Mar 2012, 02:10, edited 1 time in total.