New member - Bought an RA107

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
bizadfar

Re: New member - Bought an RA107

Hail22 wrote:We have gone backwards watch 2014, time to swap to V8 Supercars the Nissan returns >.>

Such a shame i love innovation, if only they allowed a teams use any engine but running on the maximum race load of fuel and let all the teams decide which Formula can manage the task at hand...could easily make a v10 unit with the amount of fuel they run for a full race...
You say that as if cotf programme is innovation ... ? =D> Nissan, Holden, Ford are just badges... not innovators.

V10 has 2 more cylinders and 2 more injectors. The only way you will make do with the same fuel load is to reduce IDC or run leaner. Ie kill power and/or reliability. Why bother with the extra weight, heat, scavenging, and packaging? (yea I know the V8s are mandated to a minimum weight of which was higher than V10s in the past).

JayeOFarrell

What a way to enter the world of single seater! Massively impressed :) The first thing I worked on was a Formula Renault so I am naturally very jealous.
“Be clearly aware of the stars and infinity on high. Then life seems almost enchanted after all.”
― Vincent van Gogh

F1snake

I'll have to second that, Muskrat. Many thanks for posting the links here, wrcsti, I have actually seen the programme before, but I very much enjoyed watching it again. I think Steve Sutcliffe did very well. I'm not sure I would have been so confident first time out in an unfamiliar GP car.....

There's a similar one here from OZ, albeit with the RA108:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3q6gYwHKyI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHqBNg-uGYs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhLVHbFpvhU

davidb

F1snake wrote:The car was used testing in Barcelona November and Jerez December 2007, and I know Andreas Zuber and Luca Filippi did some of the driving. I dont know which other drivers were involved with testing, but very likely the ones you mention.
First post, so hi!

I was lucky enough to be a guest of Honda at the Barcelona test in November 2007, so I guess it was your car that was there? I attended on the Wednesday, Button and Filippi were the two drivers that day. I've got a few pics, although not many online - if you'd like them let me know (most are detail shots, plus I'd only recently got my camera at that point so the quality isn't amazing...)!

Button detail by david_b, on Flickr

Honda nosecone by david_b, on Flickr

Honda nose exposed by david_b, on Flickr

Detail of Honda rear by david_b, on Flickr

Button in the garage by david_b, on Flickr

F1snake

Hi to you davidb,

and welcome to the F1technical forum. That is helluva nice way you introduce youself to this thread! Your photos are stunning, great to see rare shots like these. What a treat to be invited to the Barcelona test by Honda!

Very nice to see your detailed shots. Just look at that steering rack housing! That is one amazing piece of work. One can't see that much of it in the pic, but I've been told that the housing is the most intricate and complicated piece of work the Honda machine shop ever did. That rack housing is vastly superior to what's fitted to the car now. Alastair Gibson showed me one of these housings, a priced possesion, that he wouldn't part with for anything. Annoyingly!

Also interesting to see the 'Spec-R' wing flap was used on the rear wing (fitted between the end-plate protrusions, in front of the up-rights)as it was hardly used during the race season. I recently got hold of a 'Spec-R' flap, unfortunately too late to try it out in the recent wind tunnel test we did.

Thanks again davidb, much appreciated.

Pierce89

Even the some of the least heralded f1 cars have such elegant engineering in the front wings
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

davidb

F1snake wrote:Hi to you davidb,

and welcome to the F1technical forum. That is helluva nice way you introduce youself to this thread! Your photos are stunning, great to see rare shots like these. What a treat to be invited to the Barcelona test by Honda!
Cheers :) It was an awesome day out, I used to go to Silverstone to watch the testing but it's a bit different to be in the garage with the team :) This was the test where Schumacher came out of retirement to drive the Ferrari again, so it got quite a bit of media attention.
Very nice to see your detailed shots. Just look at that steering rack housing! That is one amazing piece of work. One can't see that much of it in the pic, but I've been told that the housing is the most intricate and complicated piece of work the Honda machine shop ever did. That rack housing is vastly superior to what's fitted to the car now. Alastair Gibson showed me one of these housings, a priced possesion, that he wouldn't part with for anything. Annoyingly!

Also interesting to see the 'Spec-R' wing flap was used on the rear wing (fitted between the end-plate protrusions, in front of the up-rights)as it was hardly used during the race season. I recently got hold of a 'Spec-R' flap, unfortunately too late to try it out in the recent wind tunnel test we did.
The housing is exquisite isn't it, beautiful bit of engineering. Shame it's not on the car still, can imagine it wouldn't be something you'd want to have to replace though!

I've dug out a few more pictures of the Honda, enjoy!

This was taken at lunchtime, a familiar name at the top of the timesheets!

F1snake

Thanks David - the photos are really great. Btw, that little 'Barcelona' sticker in the cockpit is still there. Amazing to see how big and wide the car looks in all white.
I wonder why the chimneys are half covered? Is it perhaps to compensate for the cool November air tempetature or has it anything to do with aero?

We just been invited to take part in a live TV programme with Sir Sterling Moss, who's going to talk about cars and gear from his time racing versus todays racing machines and equipment. I say we, but its actually just the car and a few props like a modern race suit and F1 helmet which we are also lending the show. So if you have time, why not join the nations housewifes and tune into a bit of daytime TV on Monday (20th Feb) 3 pm on ITV1. Its a chap called Alan Titscmarsh who's show it is. Its only one slot in the show, and probaly won't last that long, but hopefully they will show some nice shots of the car. The lady who contacted us from ITV, was quite taken aback when I said I'd never heard of it, but then, we dont have a TV. Hopefully I might be able to get a photo of the car with Sir Sterling. That would be a nice little momentum to have.

Muskrat

don't have a TV!!

Actually that sound cool - I only watch recorded (or download :)) stuff, anything else is just junk and adverts.

You live in a shed with the Car.....!?

F1snake

Muskrat,

The car lives a life of luxury in its own cosseted habitat (See incl. photo!), where as 'shed' is a close desription of my own living quarters, allthough dog house/parts store might be more accurate!

With risk of lowering the tone, here is a short, but light hearted ITV feature. RA107 meets Sterling & Louise: http://www.itv.com/itvplayer/video/?Filter=308253 Go to 17:00 minuttes in to find it. Available to UK ISP's for the next few weeks.

elmerfud

Nice to see the car converted back to roller again, you must well on your way with cad work and reverse engineering to confidently reassemble the car.

Muskrat

F1 Snake - http://www.crash.net/f1/vote/38/10/vote ... _ever.html

You might want to make a pithy reply on CRASH thread.

i.e. HOW VERY DARE YOU............ I own that car :)

F1snake

Thanks for the link, Muskrat.

I am relieved to see that they are referring to the RA108 and not the RA107! I am obviously biased, but I do think the '07 Honda is better looking than the '08. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as they say......However, I prefer the '08 livery to the full earthcar job. I have never much cared for the '08's 'sawtooth' edged barge boards and the dumbo's doesn't do a whole lot for the car's appearance either, other than adding a certain cartoonish charm.

To be fair, there are aesthetic pro's & cons to both cars, but they are certainly built to an incredibly high standard, and the sheer beauty of the engineering is simply breath taking. I've uploaded a few more photos from the car's recent ITV appearance: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fan6s/sets ... 100987532/ They are not very technical, but do show the car of nicely.

To balance the above with something slightly more technical, I'll uploade a couple of photos of some nice bits I've recently aquired.

This is a steering column done to Rubens specifications, which is slightly longer than the one used by JB. I was lucky enough to find both RB & JB spec columns to add the the spare package.

Below is a linear potentiometer which is used to measure damper movement, I was able to buy a full set for the car. I believe these were made by Pickering Instruments for Force India.

This is an infrared temperature sensor. Its placed in the floor, just in front of the rear wheels. This will enable real time tyre temperature readings. The sensors can also be used for brake temperature readings, and luckily, I found enough of them to cover both brakes and tyres.