A suggestion and some doubts/clarification.

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Caito

A suggestion and some doubts/clarification.

Hi guys.

I'll start with a suggestion that I though would be useful.

I tend to report what I believe is "a lot" of posts. Since mods can't see them all, I just "point" them to the ones that could be more important.

In some the outcome is really obvious, such as in spam threads, but in others, it's not. Such as some off topics, deviations, agressions, etc. I tick the "notify me" button when I report, but all I get is "your report has been dealth with".
The problem I have with that is that I don't know the outcome of the post I reported. So maybe I'm constantly reporting things which shouldn't.

I'm not a mod, but I can help mods do their work. Maybe if I knew what you do to the post I reported I can be in the same line as the mods.

As is, I don't know if they're just "oh no Caito reported this again, which is perfectly alright".

Suggestion made, the next doubt is about the direction that the forum is taking.

Lately I believe the forum has become increasingly non-technical. There's a General Chat, but it's still inside a page called F1technical.

The question would be, is this being done on purpose? Is it the forum moving to a less technical direction? As I see it there are lots of threads that would add absolutely nothing since they're just opinions, present no facts, etc. Of course not all posts should be strictly technical and full of facts, but I believe that if you don't learn something out of every thread, then it's useless.

Also, some of the newer threads rely just on opinion and make lot's of users angry. To add, there are some new guys which just seem to post for no reason, for fanboyism, etc.

When I started reading this forum(long before I became a user) mods use to say "that kind of threads is not allowed here, post it in autosport", or similar stuff.

All in all(vettel favourite line in press conference), what's the direction of the forum, and what are the guidelines of what is accepted/prohibited in terms of topics. Not just talking about "insulting is not allowed", but.. threads which rely on personal opinion, not allowed, etc.
Come back 747, we miss you!!

manchild

Re: A suggestion and some doubts/clarification.

Same problem increases over the years as FIA bans any technical diversity. There are no technical novelties to discuss, apart occasional details or members ideas.

Just take a look at photos from 5 years ago and those in previous couple of years. In 2006. for instance, Renault published high-res 3D CAD X-ray drawing of their car at the time it was launched! Now we can't see even the rear suspension on back-markers. The internal elements have aero cover, and even with nose and engine cover removed, nothing can be seen and therefore discussed here.

Not to mention that we have identical engines, with Mercedes, Renault and Ferrari beginning to take over almost complete field. It has become a sensation if a team makes some minor aperture.

Speaking in long term, the forum suffers same way the F1 as sport does. Fans oriented to technical side are loosing interest for following the sport, political decisions are regular like clockwork - each and every season starts with protest about legality, than FIA drags WMSC decision til mid-season or by the end of the season, to decide not truthfully, but based on standings, depending how it will affect the TV ratings, manufacturer's decision about remaining in F1, track owners profit etc.

F1 needs return of diversity of technology or it will level up with figure skating - a sport that exists, can be followed, but has no charisma, thrill and edge such as F1 as top motorsport category used to bring up for decades.

When it matters technology ban, this looks more like slow torture leading to death, than a therapy in the times of crisis leading to recovery. I've often said - if they are unable to revive F1 as mind-blowing, stunning sport as it used to be, than they should better finish it off with some dignity.

Fans don't want identical engines, identical suspension, identical gearboxes, tyres, rims... and if future of F1 is in what MoSSley drawn with his cost-cutting uniformity, than it should be said out-loud, because there are people who still remember old days, and hope for comeback of thrilling F1. If that won't happen, if 2014 turbos will be succeeded by hydrogen or electric powered cars, than let us know, to close the chapter and let new generations enjoy it, if causes any thrill for them at all.

Belatti

manchild wrote: Speaking in long term, the forum suffers same way the F1 as sport does. Fans oriented to technical side are loosing interest for following the sport...
That
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

bhall

Even as an egregious offender when it comes to non-technical banter, I believe, as manchild has suggested, that the forum is just a reflection of the current state of Formula One. We're in the fourth year of a largely consistent and highly restrictive formula that's naturally led to a widespread convergence of similar solutions amongst the teams. If the discussions here were of a purely technical nature and dealt only with things worth talking about, I don't know that any of the car threads would be longer than 5-10 pages, and the discussions would likely be centered around ducts and packaging of bodywork to the exclusion of pretty much everything else.

That's just the way it is these days. Things will start to change as we get closer to the 2014 overhaul, but I think "the good ol' days" of substantial variation within the paddock are gone. Cost-cutting won that battle.

So we'll just keep talking about whatever there is to talk about.

(I find the USGP thread thoroughly entertaining.)

Pierce89

As a former carpenter and current engineering student(never to late),I feel like I have as much interest as anyone in the technical side of F1.However, since 2009 week to week changes have become much less noticable, meaning, much less TECHNICAL things to discuss. So, IDK about others but this is the only F1 forum I use plus I'm a sarcastic cynical arse(too much F1 I guess), so I have a tendency to make GROSS OVERSTATEMENTS in purely humorous manner. This used to be understood and accepted around here. These days, however, it's constant arguments with fans of any driver you make a joke about, shortly followed by a new batch of warnings. But, Hell, Where else am I gonna go?
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

tok-tokkie

Caito wrote:

Lately I believe the forum has become increasingly non-technical.

Also, some of the newer threads rely just on opinion and make lot's of users angry. To add, there are some new guys which just seem to post for no reason, for fanboyism, etc.

When I started reading this forum(long before I became a user) mods use to say "that kind of threads is not allowed here, post it in autosport", or similar stuff.

I am fed up with havibg to wade through all that opinion stuff. Quite a lot of it is terribly uninformed & technically wrong yet it is now posted on this site and discussed.

N12ck

I think the people with their own cars should have their own section, as there are that many that I think they should have their own and it would declutter the aero section, General chat should be about facts and teams and news about teams rather than opinions,
Budding F1 Engineer

Steven
Owner

N12ck wrote:I think the people with their own cars should have their own section, as there are that many that I think they should have their own and it would declutter the aero section, General chat should be about facts and teams and news about teams rather than opinions,
A new engineering subforum will be introduced at the same time as the site update. Just a little bit more patience... ;)