Poll: Should we have a "Formula One Drivers" section?

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.

Should we add "Formula One Drivers" as another subforum?

Absolutely!! Brilliant Idea!!
48%
Ok that idea just sucked.
52%

Total votes: 52

ISLAMATRON

Re: Poll: Should we have a "Formula One Drivers" section?

Ok, so divide that thread into sections for each driver.

mx_tifoso

Ok, no. :wink: . I'll reopen the Hamilton thread, but some of the immature people get too personal and ruin it for everyone else. Aside from that I don't have a major problem with those threads.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

ISLAMATRON wrote:Where are we to discuss the technical aspect of driving/drivers such as the report today that 67kg Hamilton can generate over 100kg of braking force... even though it came from a tabloid looking online journal?

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/177 ... ake-dancer
Tabloid looking? You're not wrong. The Daily / Sunday Express used to be considered one of the better papers but it is now the butt of jokes by topical comedians. Basically, the stereotype is that the daily express reader is scared of everything! :lol:

flynfrog

ISLAMATRON wrote:Where are we to discuss the technical aspect of driving/drivers such as the report today that 67kg Hamilton can generate over 100kg of braking force... even though it came from a tabloid looking online journal?

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/177 ... ake-dancer
www.hamiltonsackriders.com/legs

DaveKillens

The forum admins have been doing a great job in trying to separate fact from fiction, and I would like to see much less fanboy action in here.

For example, there is a current topic about Hamilton's braking prowess. Hey, I'll be the first to jump up and say that he's probably the most exciting and talented driver in Formula One. But how can I make any kind of logical argument when I do not have access to telemetry? We are all guessing about how and when he brakes, but the truth lies in the telemetry. Not in the television camera.

All Formula One drivers are amazing, the best of the best, no BS. They are very talented people, doing an incredible job, considering the pressure and competition. Even the guy who qualifies last is doing something that most of us mortals can only dream of doing.

Being human, each driver posesses different strengths and weaknesses, and it would be nice to discuss these drivers without devolving into the usual fanboy exercise that is built on emotion, rather than logic. But IMHO, any discussion about drivers does not belong in this forum, the prime direction should be about the technical aspects of this great sport.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

timbo

Re: will red bull be 1st and second after the first corner ?

+10000
And why we do not have a fanboi fightclub section already?

zgred

Re: will red bull be 1st and second after the first corner ?

In a sense we have it here due to the fanboi like spread thread disease. For some time it was under control in 'The "Fanboy Ying Yang" thread' but now we have complete outbreak. So it is just a question of the terminology. Should "Formula One > General chat" be maintained or should it be changed to "Fanboi fightclub section"?
Maybe we can still have some technical related threads in "Off topic chat"?

raymondu999

I'd just like to bring this idea back up. Lately we're seeing a lot of "driver" discussion threads where it's mostly shrines of hero worship or devil castigation. We've also seen threads of how Team X is shortchanging their drivers etc. For lack of a better place sometimes these go into the car threads.

If we made a Drivers/Teams section, I think that it would clearly separate the different discussions; and those of us who don't wish to participate in such banter can just leave it be. Right now sometimes we have to dig through pages upon pages of driver and team discussion in the car threads.

Pretty please?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

banibhusan

I somehow agree with you Ray. Before the 2012 car launch, there were strict rules that no ying-yang will be allowed in the car threads, rather only technical stuff related to the car. But since the launch, its been an outbreak. I don't see the team thread anymore where we should ideally be discussing all these stuff. All irrelevant and pointless stuff are being put into the car threads now, and no matter how strict the rules are, people somehow forget to comply to them.

My take on this is, there should be a separate section for Teams/Drivers discussion. And all irrelevant posts should be moved to that section, so that the car thread remains clean.

raymondu999

Since 2012? Since late 2010 and 2011, really.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

banibhusan

If you say so dude. :)

I was not that active then. Since the beginning of 2012 I started following it more often.

Webber

I've just signed up after lurking since Jan 2008 to make this point.

This forum was fantastic: car threads dominated by pictures of developments and individuals' interpretations of those pictures.

Now, there is too much rhetoric and white noise. Raymondu999, for instance, posts prolifically in seemingly most threads, and rarely contributes anything technical. I am at the point of scrolling past his or her posts.

Sadly, if this trend continues, we will have lost this fantastic and high-value resource.

raymondu999

Tomba wrote:Threads are fine, but I see no reason to create a seperate (sub)forum for driver discussions. As mx_tifosi said, driver fans (but also team fans) cause most of the bickering around here. It is enough work already to try to limit that ;)

@donskar: No reason to quote the post above yours, even when you're replying (check the updated forum rules, spread the word)

Conslusion: No driver forum any time soon :mrgreen:
In a way it would still be better IMO. Some people don't want to hear talk about drivers given its touchy nature with "fanboyism." Opening up an F1 drivers section would effectively separate those posts from the rest of the posts - and those who don't like participating in said discussions would just avoid the formula one drivers subforum.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Dragonfly

No.
The value of this place is its technical aspect. Fanboyism must be discouraged.
I am somewhat worried by what I think is a tendency of new members registering and bringing quarrel rather than technical insight and discussion.
Drivers are a bit off- topic here. And should stay like that.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

Belatti

Webber wrote: Now, there is too much rhetoric and white noise. Raymondu999, for instance, posts prolifically in seemingly most threads, and rarely contributes anything technical. I am at the point of scrolling past his or her posts.

Sadly, if this trend continues, we will have lost this fantastic and high-value resource.
+1

And Im too breaking the "attack the post and not the poster" rule here, but its that you just cant attack 8000 posts... Its like my little nephew getting in my way and asking thousands of questions every time Im doing something at home: terribly annoying, but you just cant get rude because there is nothing he is doing wrong other than a terrible excess of curiosity.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna