What would you add to F1technical?

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Shrieker

Re: What would you add to F1technical?

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:An ignore button mods?
Odd that you gave me a link to the logout button when I asked for the very same thing. Maybe you should practise what you preach ? A little consistency of character would do no-one any harm.

As to what I'd like to see in the forum. A spoiler option for posts would be nice as I stated on the other topic.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Shrieker wrote:
JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:An ignore button mods?
Odd that you gave me a link to the logout button when I asked for the very same thing. Maybe you should practise what you preach ? A little consistency of character would do no-one any harm.
Refresh my memory will you?

And can you use the PM function if your going to question someone's character on a forum?
More could have been done.
David Purley

Giblet

SPOILER ALERT: f1 sites will be spoilers.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Giblet wrote:SPOILER ALERT: f1 sites will be spoilers.
expand gibbo! :D
More could have been done.
David Purley

Pup
Pup

Hey, at least Tomba isn't sending out emails anymore with the results in the subject line. :wink:

Here's an idea that would improve this forum a hundred fold: add "fanboy" to the naughty words list.

gridwalker

PLEASE can we have a specific forum area for the home-grown cars & Formula Sketch entrants? Preferably configured so that the posts DON'T appear on the home page "latest posts" block.

There are now LOADS of separate threads for these hypothetical cars, which started off as a pleasant novelty but now it almost feels like this place has become the unofficial Formula Sketch forum. As a case in point, there were 5 threads relating to one car and two relating to another on the site front page only moments ago ...

I was amazed by the quality of Wesley123's work when he first started posting up his designs, but the wave of subsequent designers has been of variable quality : although I applaud their efforts, I don't think that it is what this site is meant to be about.

Any thoughts?
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

WhiteBlue

gridwalker wrote:PLEASE can we have a specific forum area for the home-grown cars & Formula Sketch entrants?
That would be a welcome relief!! Please get all of this into the place where automotive technology and others are posted.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Giblet

It's already coming. There is going to be an engineering projects section or something of a similar name. As most people here know, the site is being retooled and tested by Tomba.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

TheRMVR

I have said this already before but I think changes to the comment pages would be beneficial.

At the moment pages are filled with comments, with a maximum of 20 comments I believe, then a new page opens with the next comment untill it fills up again etc. etc.

It would be a lot better and less frustrating to keep all 20 comments on a page. So a new comment basically pushes any comments over 20 to a new page instead of filling a page. That way you'll aways see the newest comments on the 'first' page.

I was surprised F1technical didnt use this method as I see it pretty much on most forums.

Pup
Pup

User Control Panel/Board Preferences/Display Options/Post Order Direction/Descending

:wink:

Caito

I'd like if there's a way to know when someone quotes you. When some threads advance at a fast rate it's difficult to follow all the posts. Maybe you posted someone and you got a replied which you never got to see.
Come back 747, we miss you!!

F1snake

If at all practical/legally possible, I'd love to see a 'For sale/Wanted section' exclusively for F1 related items. Very useful for memorabilia hunters and car builders alike. To avoid non-serious adverts, why not charge a small fee pr. sales add? I'd rather see this brilliant web-site benefit instead of Ebay and others.

elFranZ

This may sound a little useless or nerdy:
suppose you are reading the last page of a large topic, and then you need to find a post written a month ago.
You already have many ways, there's a clever search button, the goto page link, but you know, people are in love with with their mice, or worst, they're on iPad :)
So, what about replacing the suspension points in the numbered page list with, say, a fast forward/backward (>>, <<) links, skipping to +/-10, or even less pages? Now the only possible "jump" is +/-3 pages.
That could be helpful for the casual reader, I think.

manchild

I was thinking that news about sponsorship deals like - "profitable company X" becomes sponsor of "profitable team Y" should result in "X & Y pay for such commercial news on f1technical".

Why should they get any free advertising? I know that almost every news brings readers, but such news are pure marketing, nothing but promotion of companies and their products, and therefore I think they should pay for it, especially having in mind number of site visitors on this site.

Steven
Owner

elFranZ wrote:This may sound a little useless or nerdy:
suppose you are reading the last page of a large topic, and then you need to find a post written a month ago.
You already have many ways, there's a clever search button, the goto page link, but you know, people are in love with with their mice, or worst, they're on iPad :)
So, what about replacing the suspension points in the numbered page list with, say, a fast forward/backward (>>, <<) links, skipping to +/-10, or even less pages? Now the only possible "jump" is +/-3 pages.
That could be helpful for the casual reader, I think.
By clicking on the link "Page xx of xx", you will get a popup, allowing you to enter the page nr you want to go to immediately. I think that covers what you need?