Should we add an F1 teams forum section?

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.

Yes
88%
No
13%

Total votes: 56

SiLo

Would it be wise to add another section along with Cars and Races? A section called Teams? Just to arrange stuff a bit better instead of finding things about teams in the general section?

Just a thought as lots of team threads are appearing now :)
Felipe Baby!

kris

Re: Adding another section to the forum?

SiLo wrote:Would it be wise to add another section along with Cars and Races? A section called Teams? Just to arrange stuff a bit better instead of finding things about teams in the general section?

Just a thought as lots of team threads are appearing now :)
+1

Steven
Owner

Re: Adding another section to the forum?

We're discussed that suggestions among moderators a while ago alreay, but one of the arguments against was the question as to what would then be discussed in the general chat forum.

Still, it might be a good idea, but we're not entirely sure yet...

Richard

Re: Should we add an F1 teams forum section?

Personally, I agree with this.

I think that some people come into the forum wanting to read or post about a team. They see the option of “General” or “Cars”, so they go to cars thinking that “General” is for generic conversations. If they saw “Cars” and “Teams” sub-forums side by side then it would highlight the unique philosophy of this site, ie we see a car as a piece of engineering separate from the teams.

beelsebob

I'm not sure what technical aspects there really are to discuss about the teams. Would this not dilute the forum somewhat?

volarchico

But beelsebob, the forum is already diluted with all sorts of "team talk" mixed into the car threads. Hopefully making an official section for it will keep things more organized and make the moderators' lives easier...

beelsebob

volarchico wrote:But beelsebob, the forum is already diluted with all sorts of "team talk" mixed into the car threads. Hopefully making an official section for it will keep things more organized and make the moderators' lives easier...
A fair point, maybe it would help distill the dilution out.

Gridlock

There's significant overlap - if you consider a discussion about wind tunnel, CFD capabilities, personnel on the tech team, engine supply deals, etc etc, all of which come up in the Cars threads, these are finitely technical but can also be very team-aligned.

So Cars covers tech/engineering of the individual steeds, Teams covers the above as well as flexiwings, ellipse-based philosophies asymmetry, General Chat gets nice things like the RA07 and BAR build threads as well as the moderator-moved stuff from Cars and Teams fora.

Just requires that you are as clear about the purpose of the team threads as you are about the car ones, and that you decide whether you archive annually or aim to have an encyclopaedic thread covering e.g. McLaren since MP4/1 days, Red Bull RB1 onwards, Jordan get a separate thread to Force India, etc.

raymondu999

Gridlock wrote:There's significant overlap - if you consider a discussion about wind tunnel, CFD capabilities, personnel on the tech team, engine supply deals, etc etc, all of which come up in the Cars threads, these are finitely technical but can also be very team-aligned.
I like Richard's distinction in this case. "If it's not on the car (or never been, or prospectively could be on it) it doesn't belong in the thread."
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

MIKEY_!

It will reduce clutter on the forum some more, that can only be a good thing.

Crabbia

I think its a good idea and i'd welcome it from a structure point of view but my concern is the team threads could become hives of fanboyism. I have been guilty of this myself, team arguments are rarely subjective and the politics behind them can cause people to get a little hot under the collar.

on the counterpoint it could remove fanboyism from the more technical car threads as many have said.

On the lack of content in General Chat, i think it may be an issue off season that the general chat might quiet down but during the season there will be plenty of miscellaneous issues to discuss.

on the whole I'm for it.
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...

horse

I would also welcome this idea, and I do not believe it would dilute the technical nature of the site. At points there are technical issues regarding the teams themselves (processes, simulation) that do not directly relate to the car, but are interesting to discuss and having a dedicated thread for this sort of discussion would then "free" the car threads.

I'm all for it. Hopefully it will mean that the moderators can spend less time "cleaning" the car threads also.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

Henning

I think it's a brilliant idea. It will help keep the forum structured. There is plenty of other banter to keep the general forum busy.

If it doesn't work, the threads can always be moved back into the general section.

It does however suggest that a drivers forum should also be created. I think this also a welcome addition.

Steven
Owner

The teams subforum will be created this weekend.