What happened to the forum? > SPAM

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
markc

Re: What happened to the forum? > SPAM

Pup wrote:...if that's a mac thing or what...
yes it is, and yes it does make it easy to spot :)

wesley123

markc wrote:
wesley123 wrote: This is just great. got some more info on it?
Pierce89 wrote: Yes, please elaborate on this, as i've not noticed. Sounds pretty effed up.
Hi both, the hidden image in this case didn't come from f1tech, but a link I followed to a news story regarding Bernie and CVC. So far the hidden images here have been constrained to pixel trackers.

My AV is however now refusing to allow me to see images from uploadpic.org, believing them to be dodgy. They're presented to the browser in the form of .php?imageguid which could be used to inject malicious code.

I also reported one of those posts to the mods, but I was informed that the link was indeed an image and on-topic :oops: But then I couldn't tell thanks to AV being overzealous!!

Kind regards,
MarkC
About the .php part, a lot of image hosting sites use this to present their webpage together with the image, so nothing dodgy here.

Could you also please pm me such a post(in

Code: Select all

tags so it will show the [img] tag), I would like to know more and possibly test it out on a Virtual Machine.

Also if the mods didnt handle it because the post is on topic but the image is actually malicious then that is one step to far if you ask me.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

markc

post wasn't malicious as far as I can tell, my AV is now rather highly strung. Probably embarrassed that it let a piece of scareware in!!

I'll dig for some data for you and PM regarding testing.

Pup
Pup

For the hidden image files, just do a forum search for "infoocean" and you'll get all the relevant posts. Don't know about the upload.org pics.

Steven
Owner

FYI: infoocean was added to the spamwords list 2 days ago, while several spamposts have been erased.

wesley123

Well Tomba we have one again, I have reported it btw.

It links to infoocean too.

[quote="Judith27"][img]http://www.infoocean.info/avatar3.jpg[/img]PGs are mostly a tube so its easier to use them as a stressed member.[/quote]
It was posted here viewtopic.php?p=332189&f=4#p332189

I noted it was there because my bowser shortly showed there was a image there(the picture you'd get with a broken image).

Giblet

Thanks! I was unaware of how the images were hidden, but I see it now. Buried in an empty quote.

By judith27. It was nice knowing you.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

strad

This comes up from time to time..
Isabel412 wrote:ImageThe coil pack is a press fit on top of the plugs and the heat shield holds that in place.
Is it one also???
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

raymondu999

Pup wrote:The posts themselves are all vaguely on topic, but are really just fluff.
They're just copies of sentences previously mentioned in the thread I think - not more than that.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

wesley123

strad wrote:This comes up from time to time..

[quote="Isabel412"][img]http://www.infoocean.info/avatar3.jpg[/img]The coil pack is a press fit on top of the plugs and the heat shield holds that in place.[/quote]
Is it one also???
Please, use code tags to quote these posts, by that the image doesnt gets placed, so any form of malware doesnt get executed.

Pup
Pup

Dennis15 is our latest, it seems, using 'dingsme.info' for the hidden image instead of infoocean.

So does anyone know what these hidden images do?

raymondu999

Not sure myself to be honest. I'm surprised you even see broken images Pup - I'm on a Mac myself and nothing shows up - just words.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

wesley123

That means the image is drawn. It is just a image of 1 pixel with malicious code. What it does;
It seems to go after Cookies like for hotmail, came across a picture once and suddenly my hotmail started sending spam. Now not much will happen since these domains are added to the blocklist

bhall

What can be done on the user side of things to prevent the execution of malicious codes on our machines? Rather, is there anything to be done other than the routine security/anti-virus/anti-spyware measures most people already take?

markc

If you use firefox install noscript addon - this will prevent scripts from running on sites, this would have prevented my issue, so I now use it :)

Prevent cookie use by default and then enable it for the sites you need to use it on.

There are other options like hosts files which direct traffic to 127.0.0.1 which is the computer equivalent of home (or your own computer if you will). You'd have to mainain this file and if it gets too large it can slow the pc down - not an issue on mac or linux.