Lotus E20 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

Re: Lotus E20 Renault

This classic type of exhaust used by Lotus takes less power from engine.Some people talked at the start of the winter testings how remowing blown exhausts gives engines more power - about 15-20 horse power.I understand it is important for engine to have uninterupted flow of exhaust gases.It helps the engine to "brath", and flow of exhaust gases is easily released and it is faster.They are big team now.We have seen that this guys can act strange sometimes when it comes to strategy, but I think they know what are they doing with the exhaust.But, I would like to see Lotus E20 with beam wing exhaust vs Lotus E20 with (example) McLaren or Sauber style exhaust.I think that E20 with beam wing exhaust is more powerful.

One more thing.Grosjean tested both days, Kimi did no testing.I hope this will not make problem for Kimi in therms of settuping the car.We know what happened at Ferrari these days.
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.
http://f1bias.com/2012/04/05/truth-abou ... nder-2008/

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

MarkedOne8 wrote:This classic type of exhaust used by Lotus takes less power from engine.Some people talked at the start of the winter testings how remowing blown exhausts gives engines more power - about 15-20 horse power.I understand it is important for engine to have uninterupted flow of exhaust gases.It helps the engine to "brath", and flow of exhaust gases is easily released and it is faster.They are big team now.We have seen that this guys can act strange sometimes when it comes to strategy, but I think they know what are they doing with the exhaust.But, I would like to see Lotus E20 with beam wing exhaust vs Lotus E20 with (example) McLaren or Sauber style exhaust.I think that E20 with beam wing exhaust is more powerful.

One more thing.Grosjean tested both days, Kimi did no testing.I hope this will not make problem for Kimi in therms of settuping the car.We know what happened at Ferrari these days.
15-20hp was from the crazy exhaust which went along the whole floor and out through a nozzle with all sorts of hot and cold blowing techniques. The difference in the E20 exhaust and a McLaren for example would be barely anything and perhaps the McLaren would be even better.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

MarkedOne8 wrote:Some people talked at the start of the winter testings how remowing blown exhausts gives engines more power - about 15-20 horse power...
Unfortunately not the right people, like the Renault dyno operator. We have no clue what the power difference would be.

Brian

madly
madly

Two words team often repeats about E20.
Predictability - it's predictable, setup is faster and they could get immediately more or less but satisfactory results on wide range of tracks.
Drive-ability - it's easy to drive, driver could push up to the limits. I think it's less sensitive to throttle than EBD solutions, traction is traditionally in Enstone cars good.

This year's Pirellis are very sensitive and have small operating window. 3 days of testing - team decide mainly concentrate on testing different setup options - traction, suspension, understanding tyres. Good use of Pirellis give much more this year than throttle sensitive EBD with bigger DF.

marcush.
marcush.

Not That long ago Ferrari-Rory Byrne dropped the blown difusser idea and introduced the periscope exhaust on the F2000 methinks due to downforce fluctuations with closed throttle.

Back then the loss in downforce was lamented butit offered some scope for more (peak?)engine power as the exhaust could be significantly shorter.....
10 years on Newey was INVENTING blown difussers...

godlameroso

In Newey's defense, engine control tech has advanced a lot in the last 10 years. Remember electronics are subject to Moore's law. Even if f1 doesn't follow the same curve it still benefits from it especially simulation and CFD analysis.
Saishū kōnā

Huntresa
Huntresa

Gridlock

Interesting stuff, not that they're using Windshear particularly (that was announced a few weeks ago iirc?) but that..
“Our principal aim at Mugello was to answer some fundamental questions regarding the suspension layout for the car. By this I don’t just mean a spring or a roll bar, but comparing one complete suspension architecture to another to establish whether we’re on the right path with the layout of our car. We were able to answer the questions that had been bugging us for a while and we are able to find some improved configurations for the car.”

The early fruits from the wind tunnel tests, will be bolted on for the first time during Spanish GP practice, “Barcelona will see the first tranche of the Windshear upgrades, accompanied by a selection of new parts stemming from our normal tunnel development programme. The package will include revised versions of the front and rear drums, the front wing and the floor. None of these parts were used in Mugello.”
No surprise with the FW, they redesigned that every lap for the last 2 years I think, but emphasis on brake components (i.e. unregulated aero opportunities). Given the fiddly little differences between having a fence here or a vortex generator there at the small scales of brake duct/floor interaction, maybe this is something Ferrari will be doing soon and that Lotus have a lead in?

As for a "complete suspension architecture" how dramatically different would the 2 configurations be? More Lotus sneaky-beaky suspension in evidence?

Huntresa
Huntresa

Might be internal stuff for the different suspensions, as we have heard before this season that they have done alot of stuff with the internal aero and internal parts overall.

Neno
Neno

Huntresa wrote:Might be internal stuff for the different suspensions, as we have heard before this season that they have done alot of stuff with the internal aero and internal parts overall.
lotus from beginning of the season, even before winter testing, was working on there suspension. i dont know why, but from all teams, only lotus, and possibly ferrari tried find they advantage in this area. all other teams focused specifly on theres exaust solution. ferrari was trying find how to quickly heat up tires, but it seems that lotus is focused how to find some others performances. from 2006 lotus (then renault) find with mass dampers, performances. i dont expect from lotus to find same advantage like in those years, but this team slowly but in right direction learning from own philosphy how and where find better perfomances.

PlatinumZealot

Renault has stuck to their inboard exhausts and compact sidepods, but claim to have gained speed over the tests.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

MIKEY_!

New floor wasn't it?

madly
madly

Scarbs Twitter: Lotus gearbox, note how slim most of the case is, but how the case widens to mate with the engine

Richard
Richard

Thanks for the many reports about engine RPM, they are now in the RPM thread ...

:arrow: viewtopic.php?p=341032#p341032

Blackout

Looks like new brake ducts a la Williams with no external intakes, just thin intakes between the tires and the lateral vertical fairings

Or maybe they haven't mounted the ducts yet...