F1Technical updated. What's new?

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Steven
Owner

Re: F1Technical updated. What's new?

jamesb wrote:A) I think the splitting of each post needs to be worked on. I think even just a faint "border-bottom" would work
B) When I signed up, I had a lil click around on the userCP menus, and on Private Messages I got a warning:
i) "NO_AUTH_SEND_MESSAGE_MIN_POSTS" - I understand that's probably a function telling me I'm not authorised to PM until I've met a certain level of posts
A) Is the color difference unclear? Or are the posts not dark enough to see the white seperator?
B) NO_AUTH_SEND_MESSAGE_MIN_POSTS now replaced with a decent English message :)

jamesb

Tomba wrote:
jamesb wrote:A) I think the splitting of each post needs to be worked on. I think even just a faint "border-bottom" would work
B) When I signed up, I had a lil click around on the userCP menus, and on Private Messages I got a warning:
i) "NO_AUTH_SEND_MESSAGE_MIN_POSTS" - I understand that's probably a function telling me I'm not authorised to PM until I've met a certain level of posts
A) Is the color difference unclear? Or are the posts not dark enough to see the white seperator?
B) NO_AUTH_SEND_MESSAGE_MIN_POSTS now replaced with a decent English message :)
Looking over it again, I think the colour difference is now quite clear. When I originally posted, I was using a laptop in quite a bright room during the day, and so the colour was being washed out somewhat.

Cheers for sorting the PM error message issue.

James

Paul

Brightness and contrast settings of the monitor affect that in a big way. I know with my settings the current change of gradient between posts is just perfect for me.

djos

Liking the new upgrades how on earth are we supposed to get a ranking higher than 0 when we are all (bar mods) stuck on 0 in he first place? Bit of of a chicken and egg scenario! :?
"In downforce we trust"

mx_tifoso

Djos,

Tomba will enable the voting privileges soon. I suggest that no one worry about the voting situation, he has is it worked out. Just wait for further announcements.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

djos

mx_tifoso wrote:Djos,

Tomba will enable the voting privileges soon. I suggest that no one worry about the voting situation, he has is it worked out. Just wait for further announcements.
No worries. 8)
"In downforce we trust"

Dragonfly

I haven't been much here with the new layout but one thing I noticed immediately is that default post font size is smaller, smaller than the font size in users' signatures. Also a more clear separator between actual post and the signature would only contribute to readability.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

Steven
Owner

djos wrote:Liking the new upgrades how on earth are we supposed to get a ranking higher than 0 when we are all (bar mods) stuck on 0 in he first place? Bit of of a chicken and egg scenario! :?
That's actually quite easy. You post something interesting, on topic and perhaps even technical, and then you hope the mods or someone with a rep>0 votes your post up... (there's currently 20 or so people like that)

Richard

Tomba wrote:A) Is the color difference unclear? Or are the posts not dark enough to see the white separator?
I'd prefer a slightly darker background to the posts so the white separator is more obvious. Also, are the posts alternating in shade light/dark/light/dark or is that my imagination?

Sawtooth-spike

Loving the changes. The Page looks so good. When you think back to the old days of the site you can see how far it has come! Nice work Steve!

The speed to great, its nice to go to a forum and be able to navigate around at speed.

Must admit the forum colours are a little close on my screen set-up. Its not quite as easy to see where 1 post ends and the other begins. Maybe increasing the darkness may help, or adding a few pixels to the gap?
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

Paul

I will again suggest you experiment with your monitor contrast settings, unless they are already calibrated to other more important task you are doing on your computer of course.

strad

That is the only complaint I would have..the change in color from one post to the next IMO should be more clearly defined.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Dragonfly

I've changed the background color from RGB(240,240,240) to (235,235,235). The problem is that very bright nuances (high RGB values) are not displayed and distinguished well by standard TFT displays. This I guess would raise the question about quotes background. IMO some bright color different from gray shade will be suitable. Bright blue for example.
Spa 2012

Richard

Thanks Dragonfly, I prefer that. Then there is no need for the white bar.

Dragonfly

You're welcome.
I am on my laptop now but will see tomorrow the changes on my work displays where they are tuned as much as possible to represent near real colors for design and pre-press work.
On the laptop individual post fields are well enough distinguishable.
Spa 2012