F1Technical updated. What's new?

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Richard

Re: F1Technical updated. What's new?

I've just noticed there is no visible flag in the header when a PM has arrived.

Steven
Owner

richard_leeds wrote:I've just noticed there is no visible flag in the header when a PM has arrived.
Indeed, it's something on the todo list, I didn't get it done in time for the go-live.

Plan is to change the icon next to your username in the header, so that you're aware that something is going on.
Additionally, your reputation will also be displayed in the popup menu soon.

xDama

New changes look good, but I have one general comment and it's the font. When you look at the forum index for example, the paragraphs underneath the forumcategories looks quite wide and it feels like there's too much space between all the individual letters. I don't know if it's because of the font, or the font settings, but it doesn't read the fluent like with the previous version.

I have the same feeling when you enter a subforum, for example Formula One Cars. There's so much space underneath the text & title, that it gives an unnatural feeling if you try to 'screen' all the titles.

Beside all that, great effort and especially the home-page looks very tidy, great job!
"I race to win, and if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver." - Ayrton Senna

Richard

The post titles are now shown but they were not before. I think it is a bit distracting to see the title repeated 15 times per page. It also gets confusing when a post has been moved from another thread and the old title remains.

Can we hide the post titles as before?

Dragonfly

I think hiding the titles is for the better.
About background - at work I can distinguish the quote background but post background variation is practically not visible.
While writing I noticed the light blue ribbon with the options below the editor window. Now this is a clearly distinguishable color.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

Steven
Owner

Apart from the first, post titles are gone now.
More small updates to come...
xDama wrote:New changes look good, but I have one general comment and it's the font. When you look at the forum index for example, the paragraphs underneath the forumcategories looks quite wide and it feels like there's too much space between all the individual letters. I don't know if it's because of the font, or the font settings, but it doesn't read the fluent like with the previous version...
You know, the font you're talking about is the one that was left unchanged. It's Verdana, just like it was before.
The font displaying posts, news content and article texts is new.

Dragonfly

I also had a note about the font. More precisely - font size. On a 19 inch display it's tiny unless special setup is made in the browser. Letters are smaller than those in the signatures. One step larger would be better IMHO.
Other forums I visit have what I think is the right font size. F1Technical text is tinier.
Spa 2012

bhall

I'm sold. The new reputation/rating/whatever thing makes it quite obvious what's worth following and what's not.

(It also makes it clear that I should perhaps shut up for a while and just read.)

Dragonfly

Font size is perfect now =D>
Spa 2012

Richard

I think the signature font could do with being significantly smaller than the main text.

mx_tifoso

Agreed Richard, but at least that is a quick fix via the UCP. I've changed my font to a smaller one since the forum update.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Forza

Great job on the new look. I would also add that the new reputation system will save lots of time because you should spend less time checking if source is reliable.

Steven
Owner

A fix will be made to slightly reduce the signature font size. It does indeed not make sense to have it larger than the post itself. I will also slightly darken the darkest of the post backgrounds to increase the alternating different a bit. Not much though, as going too dark is not to my liking.

Additionally, the "related topics" list that gets displayed below the posts will be updated as well, as that is still the old layout. I'm working on that, I expect go-live before Sunday.
bhallg2k wrote:I'm sold. The new reputation/rating/whatever thing makes it quite obvious what's worth following and what's not.
If all works fine, next on the agenda is to implement an algorithm to keep the most valuable threads longer on top, rather than sort based on the last postdate only.

Richard

The “last post” column on pages that list threads (ie the forum page or the “new posts” page) is too narrow, the “am” or “pm” part of the time spills onto an extra line when the time is in double digits (ie after 10am or 10 pm).

Looking at it a bit more, the column is easily wide enough but it appears to have a very generous left and right margin - that could be reduced?

Steven
Owner

richard_leeds wrote:The “last post” column on pages that list threads (ie the forum page or the “new posts” page) is too narrow, the “am” or “pm” part of the time spills onto an extra line when the time is in double digits (ie after 10am or 10 pm).

Looking at it a bit more, the column is easily wide enough but it appears to have a very generous left and right margin - that could be reduced?
Noticed, will be fixed this weekend!