My F1 simulator McLaren MP4-23 project - Repozess

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
repozess

My F1 simulator McLaren MP4-23 project - Repozess

Greetings all,

Newbie here (first post)...i noticed many talented people making cool projects here...I want to share with you all my ongoing project...I`m designing a replica McLaren MP4-23 full scale simulator...needless to say it will take a while to complete...although progress is being made on a daily basis...

I started with the steering wheel modeled after the MP4-26 version car
also completed the tires, skid block and Enkei Rims...I used as reference the 2009 FIA regulations and also specs from the actual car...have about 250 pictures and a couple blueprints that i used as visual references...

First Pics !

Last edited by mx_tifoso on 25 May 2012, 04:45, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added name to title
Repozess

ajdavison2

Re: My F1 simulator McLaren MP4-23 project

Will be following this with great interest! Are you talking about making a full working sim? I assume you are going to need bucket loads of software and code written, also how will you know if it is realistic, unless you have someone with f1 experience? Have you made any physical items or components yet?

N12ck

There are a few issues, using the 2009 regulations is the wrong thing to do, there was a huge rule change between 2008 and 2009 with mp4-23 being a 2008 car the 2009 regulations will be meaningless to this car,

but great project!!
:D
Nick
Budding F1 Engineer

repozess

You are right about the rule changes N12ck, although in my case, the rules and regulations don`t really apply simply because my intent to design and build the Mp4-23 is for personal use alone for the moment (i just like the way it looks :D ). thxs for the feedback !
Repozess

N12ck

repozess wrote:You are right about the rule changes N12ck, although in my case, the rules and regulations don`t really apply simply because my intent to design and build the Mp4-23 is for personal use alone for the moment (i just like the way it looks :D ). thxs for the feedback !
I would suggest using the 08 regulations to help your project, it will make it much more accurate, which will make it look nicer :D
Budding F1 Engineer

repozess

ajdavison2 wrote:Will be following this with great interest! Are you talking about making a full working sim? I assume you are going to need bucket loads of software and code written, also how will you know if it is realistic, unless you have someone with f1 experience? Have you made any physical items or components yet?
Yes ajdavision, the goal is a full working sim...as for the software part i have a friend who is very skilled working on the programming part...i must admit, i am debating either to just use an existing package such as rfactor or develop a custom software...remember, it is a long term project...as i go along i will decide !

My vision of realism and the way i`ll know...is to design the individual parts as accurately as i can based on all the specs and pics that i have so far...once complete i want my model to resemble the real thing to the '' T ''.

No physical parts have yet been made...nor do i have someone with F1 Experience...i welcome anyone though...
For now, its modeling time...that`s the fun part :)

It`s not like i didn`t try to contact McLaren and ask for detailed blueprints( call me crazy...i know :D ) but it doesn`t hurt to try..
As i go along i will render images of my parts...

Thxs for your interest !
Repozess

repozess

N12ck wrote:
repozess wrote:You are right about the rule changes N12ck, although in my case, the rules and regulations don`t really apply simply because my intent to design and build the Mp4-23 is for personal use alone for the moment (i just like the way it looks :D ). thxs for the feedback !
I would suggest using the 08 regulations to help your project, it will make it much more accurate, which will make it look nicer :D
I agree !
Repozess

ajdavison2

Out of curiosity where are you based? There are a lot of member of this forum with a varied range of experience that could help, maybe if some of us lived within a reasonable distance it might help, I for instance am building the 1:8 deagostini MP4-23, which might be of some help to you, it is extremely detailed. I was going to put a blog up on this forum charting my building progress but I'm useless at uploaded photos and videos.. :/

repozess

ajdavison2 wrote:Out of curiosity where are you based? There are a lot of member of this forum with a varied range of experience that could help, maybe if some of us lived within a reasonable distance it might help, I for instance am building the 1:8 deagostini MP4-23, which might be of some help to you, it is extremely detailed. I was going to put a blog up on this forum charting my building progress but I'm useless at uploaded photos and videos.. :/
I`m in central Canada, Manitoba...yourself ? i thought of subscribing to Deagostini...i have not heard good things about them regarding their customer service or timely deliveries....always delays...and so on...i`ve read horror stories but don't know anyone personally who subscribed...i am interested though in anyone who is willing to share hi res pics of the car of certain parts i`m missing. You should put up the blog...no one is useless...just try maybe a different approach !
Repozess

repozess

More updates...just finished modeling the toggle switches and push buttons for the steering wheel front face plate.
Also finished the Enkei Front and Rear Rim... ( little preview....no fancy rendering yet )

Repozess

ajdavison2

repozess wrote:
ajdavison2 wrote:Out of curiosity where are you based? There are a lot of member of this forum with a varied range of experience that could help, maybe if some of us lived within a reasonable distance it might help, I for instance am building the 1:8 deagostini MP4-23, which might be of some help to you, it is extremely detailed. I was going to put a blog up on this forum charting my building progress but I'm useless at uploaded photos and videos.. :/
I`m in central Canada, Manitoba...yourself ? i thought of subscribing to Deagostini...i have not heard good things about them regarding their customer service or timely deliveries....always delays...and so on...i`ve read horror stories but don't know anyone personally who subscribed...i am interested though in anyone who is willing to share hi res pics of the car of certain parts i`m missing. You should put up the blog...no one is useless...just try maybe a different approach !
Ahh, I'm in newcastle, UK lol... I'm quite a way through the build atm, got all for corners totally done, suspension, brakes, wheels steering linkage etc, engine, gearbox, both wings, airbox and some internal stuff, full floor and underbody, most of the seat, cockpit and the chassis. and I think that about covers it. I've never had any problems with them, this is the second collectable series I have bought and both have went smoothly for me.

EDIT: the above post reminded me I also have the internal steering mech (movable!) and steering wheel.

repozess

ajdavison2 wrote:
repozess wrote:
Ahh, I'm in newcastle, UK lol... I'm quite a way through the build atm, got all for corners totally done, suspension, brakes, wheels steering linkage etc, engine, gearbox, both wings, airbox and some internal stuff, full floor and underbody, most of the seat, cockpit and the chassis. and I think that about covers it. I've never had any problems with them, this is the second collectable series I have bought and both have went smoothly for me.

EDIT: the above post reminded me I also have the internal steering mech (movable!) and steering wheel.

That is great stuff :D ...would love to see what you have done thus far...i am interested in the build for myself as it would be ideal for me to complete my sim project...having all the detailed internal and external parts would be the icing on the cake for me...i especially want the steering mechanism and pedal unit. How far along in your build is left to do ? i assume for a complete build it takes about 12 months from first issue to the last...or am i wrong ?
Repozess

ajdavison2

Re: My F1 simulator McLaren MP4-23 project - Repozess

I'll put some photos up when I find a spare hour or so, I think its about 20 months for the complete build, i've got the thing dry assembled atm and I have to say it looks very impressive, I messed up the damper unit a little bit, and some of the gluing isn't as neat as I'd like.. but apart from that I love it! I'll start a thread maybe after monaco.

repozess

ajdavison2 wrote:I'll put some photos up when I find a spare hour or so, I think its about 20 months for the complete build, i've got the thing dry assembled atm and I have to say it looks very impressive, I messed up the damper unit a little bit, and some of the gluing isn't as neat as I'd like.. but apart from that I love it! I'll start a thread maybe after monaco.
I`m sure it is impressive...i want one more and more :D !!!
looking forward to those pics...I will follow with interest as well...
As for me my steering wheel will take a couple of days (hopefully) to fully complete...then the column, linkage, gears, pedals cockpit, etc... sounds chaotic but all is in order !
Repozess

ajdavison2

Well I can get pictures of all of that stuff on my model at least, not sure how the real thing is, eventually I'll have all of the internals that you see when a nose is removed.