F1Technical updated. What's new?

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Richard

Re: F1Technical updated. What's new?

Strad - You are reading what you want rather than what is being said.

Anyone with an upvote can then up vote others, it will end up as an organic self determining system. Obviously this has to start off with an initial seeding and that seeding is probably too small at the moment. Once it gets to certain size then it'll organically spread.

By the way, Tomba was the only person who could award the intial upvotes - me, Giblet and MX don't have upvotes, we are in the same boat as you. So the current small number of upvotes is not about control, just the practicalities of one person having a lot of his plate getting the new site live.

Give it a little time to get working.

Richard

strad wrote:Well I have had a PM waiting in my inbox and without any form of notification it could have been there for a year. :roll:
Have you never had email notifications for your PMs? I set up my account to send me an email when a PM arrives. That worked on both the old and new sites. The old site had a little flag in the header.

Did you not see Tomba's post that he'll try to fix the flag on this new site? :arrow: viewtopic.php?p=346033#p346033
Last edited by Richard on 25 May 2012, 09:31, edited 1 time in total.

raymondu999

strad wrote:I think this way it give a preferential leg up to selected individuals...but hey if you think that's fair.
You're always free to look for fairness elsewhere :wink:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

JohnsonsEvilTwin

raymondu999 wrote:
strad wrote:I think this way it give a preferential leg up to selected individuals...but hey if you think that's fair.
Whats wrong with questioning a new system? It's certainly not perfect, and I have spoken to a couple of members(active and inactive) who think its actually alienating some posters.

Strad has a point.
More could have been done.
David Purley

Richard

We just need patience. Once the seeding has spread most people will have points and will be voting. Then we can see how it is working.

... or are you saying that the whole concept of upvoting is flawed? This isn't a bolt from the blue, its been widely discussed and requested. Lets see how it works.
Last edited by Richard on 25 May 2012, 10:16, edited 1 time in total.

raymondu999

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:
Whats wrong with questioning a new system? It's certainly not perfect, and I have spoken to a couple of members(active and inactive) who think its actually alienating some posters.

Strad has a point.
Nothing's wrong with questioning a new system. But at the same time, you have to realise too that the system is the way it is for a reason - I'm sure Tomba has very good reasons why he has made it as such.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Of course Tomba has his reasons, why change for the hell of it?

@Richard
It's an upside down pyramid voting system. In the end, it will be pretty much the same as if everyone had a vote from the start....in time.
My gripe is that it does not lead to anything different. Witness the Mercedes team thread for example, that was conducted in a non technical fashion, usurping statistics in favour of opinion. This is unqualified in my view, that's not to denigrate another's opinion.
Yet people with votes waded in with it too, blurring the actual raison d'etre of the site ethos, and its new voting system.
David Purley

Richard

raymondu999 wrote:Nothing's wrong with questioning a new system. But at the same time, you have to realise too that the system is the way it is for a reason - I'm sure Tomba has very good reasons why he has made it as such.
Tomba dipped into a few threads and picked 42 posts to get it started so he can see how it is working. Those 42 people are free to highlight other good technical posts.

As for the system design, the idea is that only people with existing votes can vote for others. This is simply a device to avoid new people coming in and voting lots of plus points for their favoured side of a fanboi driver argument.

The main complaint that I see on here is that Tomba started small to see how it works. We've all done that in our work, especially the engineers. We do a little proof of concept off to one side and see if it works. Tomba did that last month on a test site. The next step is to introduce the idea to a project on a small scale to see if works in the real world, that's what is happening now on here. Once everything is shown to be OK, it is then launched on a bigger scale, that'll happen soon.

Put it another way, everyone would be really annoyed if the voting was launched on a massive scale and it turned out to be a mess so that Tomb had to switch it off. Most of all Tomba, because he'd have wasted a lot of his free time for nothing, and then have to spend even more time retracting the system.

gridwalker

Like any system, it has the capacity for abuse. We just have to have faith that the majority of sensible users will outweigh any petty infighting.

I am interested to see that someone has voted for me, but I can't find the post that has been voted for. Is there any way of finding all of your comments that have received votes? It would be nice to have a filter to see all of the posts that have affected your reputation :)

On an unrelated note : Has anyone noticed that posts by moderators use the full width of the posting area, but regular members have their post content wrapped to around 70% width?

I know this isn't a really big deal, but it looks like it causes clipping issues with quoted pictures. I quoted a picture from a previous post to discuss a background feature and the detail I wanted to describe had been cropped out of the image (see MP4-27 thread).

I'm pretty sure that this can be tweaked from within the CMS, so could someone with developer access take a quick look at it? The CMS that I use has usergroup-specific CSS settings that can be applied to forum posts, so I would assume that this is something similar.
Last edited by gridwalker on 25 May 2012, 11:37, edited 1 time in total.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

Richard

Sorry to let you down gridwalker, but you don't have any votes yet. That zero under your name is your number of votes.

Have a look at amouzouris's profile. Can you see a link saying "View user’s reputation changes"?

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=11338

gridwalker

Aaaah ... I could see the controls to vote, so I had assumed it was letting me vote ... I just hadn't tried.

Now, I've actually tried voting and it didn't work, so I see where I went wrong.

Sorry for the assumption, but I hate it when I'm shown controls that I can't actually USE =/
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

raymondu999

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Of course Tomba has his reasons, why change for the hell of it?
I wasn't talking of why he changed - I was talking of why he made the rules such that only those with votes can vote.
It's an upside down pyramid voting system. In the end, it will be pretty much the same as if everyone had a vote from the start....in time.
Most will, maybe. But I don't think everyone will get one if I'm honest. I think some people won't get a vote. Remember - to get a vote through natural selection (as it is at the moment, rather than everyone getting one) you'd have to actually qualify for it by a post which at least remotely well written and/or informative.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

i70q7m7ghw

I will say simply this. A voting based system can only work if everyone has an equal opportunity to vote. At currrent, that equality does not exist.

Perhaps if you want to manage the new users and prevent people creating accounts purely to vote posts up etc. you could manage the voting ability based on how long the account has been active, or how many posts it's made.

This 'seeding' concept in my opinion is not very fair.

mx_tifoso

It's not about equality, at least that was never the point that came across to me. If you give quality information on a consistent basis you have the right to vote for others who do the same. It's not for some random person to be able to up or down vote a mediocre post in a team thread.

Give this more time.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

mx_tifoso wrote:It's not about equality, at least that was never the point that came across to me. If you give quality information on a consistent basis you have the right to vote for others who do the same. It's not for some random person to be able to up or down vote a mediocre post in a team thread.

Give this more time.
I'm prepared to wait it out, but what is happening is elitism based almost entirely on whom is deemed worthy.Take Ray999 for example, probably posted a few hundred posts in the last couple of weeks, yet has no vote. I'm sure one or 2 of those hundred posts would be deemed worthy of a vote.

Does that mean we should give less credence to what he posts, and more to that of someone like say Marcush, who I notice has 2/3 votes, despite not being able to upvote another users post?
Or is this just an anomaly of a system that will come good?
David Purley