F1Technical updated. What's new?

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
bhall

Re: F1Technical updated. What's new?

What do the number listed beside the topics on the front page represent? At first I thought they were the cumulative "reputation" of participating members, but I've seen the numbers change seemingly without regard to anything else.

ArchAngel

Just wanted to give a 'thumbs up' for the effort made towards refreshing the site. Perhaps the logo could be next? :idea:

As for the issue on reputation/voting rights, I'm not too perturbed about it, although I can see why this has elicited the reaction it did for some. But for me, it won't really affect how I decide which topics I wade into, and I certainly don't intend to summarily dismiss any posts from whoever just for lack of rep points. I don't see this particular feature being advantageous to me personally since my posts lack the technical depth that the engineering-types & mechanically-inclined amongst us are adept at contributing. But if my 0 rep won't prevent me from tossing in my $0.02 in the discussions every once in a while, then I'm still good. :mrgreen:

Let's give it time. I'm sure we all signed up in here to discuss, share & learn matters relating to F1, rather than to earn reps/creds/bragging rights. Peace! :)

zonk

mx_tifoso wrote:So you prefer to whine about the 0's instead of contributing to the normal discussions? That's a good way to go about it.
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

xpensive

zonk wrote:
mx_tifoso wrote:So you prefer to whine about the 0's instead of contributing to the normal discussions? That's a good way to go about it.
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
If the objective is to drive away members of a differing opinion, infantile posts like these two is the right way to go I guess.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

mx_tifoso

We've given plenty of information to try and help the situation but it has not sufficed, so there is little point in going to such lengths to appease such arguments when nothing will change as of now. Time is what we ask for, until then we simply as for everyone to just post as usual and contribute positively.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

myurr

ArchAngel wrote:Just wanted to give a 'thumbs up' for the effort made towards refreshing the site. Perhaps the logo could be next? :idea:

As for the issue on reputation/voting rights, I'm not too perturbed about it, although I can see why this has elicited the reaction it did for some. But for me, it won't really affect how I decide which topics I wade into, and I certainly don't intend to summarily dismiss any posts from whoever just for lack of rep points. I don't see this particular feature being advantageous to me personally since my posts lack the technical depth that the engineering-types & mechanically-inclined amongst us are adept at contributing. But if my 0 rep won't prevent me from tossing in my $0.02 in the discussions every once in a while, then I'm still good. :mrgreen:

Let's give it time. I'm sure we all signed up in here to discuss, share & learn matters relating to F1, rather than to earn reps/creds/bragging rights. Peace! :)
Have to say that I mostly agree. For me the reputation points are something that I'll mostly ignore, as I think the way in which they'll work will lead to the points going to good technical posts (which is a good thing) and those that support the 'group think' (a bad thing). Dissenting opinion, no matter how valid, will end up being voted down by the in crowd who are most active on the board.

As long as that doesn't mean anything or stop people from being able to post then I can live with just ignoring those numbers. I understand what the mods are trying to achieve, and support that aim, I just don't think this particular implementation will be successful. Hope I'm wrong though.

strad

So you prefer to whine about the 0's instead of contributing to the normal discussions? That's a good way to go about it.
Every time either of you post on this, you show how you just don't get it.
I'd rather not have this popularity contest feature , which is what it will turn into, but rather the rub is that out of ALL the active members only a chosen few have been anointed to vote on the rest of us. How in the world do you figure that was fair?
Forget me...what about the hundreds out of the 10,000 who you in effect have said their opinion doesn't matter...or at least not until one of those you have deemed worthy in turn deems them or their post of value.
The only fair thing would have been to give all active members a 1 and let it sort itself out from there.
But since you're dead set on this course, and it is in fact a dictatorship, we who deign to disagree have been told to shut up or leave. Nice choice.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

mx_tifoso

We never said or implied that anyone should leave, we simply ask for patience and understanding. Carry on as usual.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Richard

strad wrote:The rub is that out of ALL the active members only a chosen few have been anointed to vote on the rest of us. How in the world do you figure that was fair?
No, the rub is that you continue to ignore the fact that Tomba picked a handful of posts to test the system. It is a test and Tomba has said the coding isn't working yet.

i70q7m7ghw

So after the testing phase are you saying your going to apply some sort of formula to all members to allocate rating, perhaps something including length of membership and number of posts?

For the record, I really don't care about mine or anyone elses rating. I'm more concerned about the rating of an individual post and how it's not really going to be a real metric. If I see a spam post suddently getting a +1 rating there is nothing I can do about that. I think what your going to end up seeing is more replys to posts with simply "+1" or "-1" as the reply.

djos

djos wrote:Mods, im still not get email updates for PM's or new posts in subscribed topics and I cant find anything wrong with my settings?
So any chance of this being looked at? [-o<
"In downforce we trust"

RB7ate9

Apologies if this has been mentioned already, and mods: please remove if that is the case...

The pre and post-clicked links look too close in color to one another, it makes it hard to discern what has been clicked and what has been updated with new, unclicked material.

Otherwise, the upvoting system has no bearing on my use of this site.

rjsa

strad wrote:
So you prefer to whine about the 0's instead of contributing to the normal discussions? That's a good way to go about it.
Every time either of you post on this, you show how you just don't get it.
I'd rather not have this popularity contest feature , which is what it will turn into, but rather the rub is that out of ALL the active members only a chosen few have been anointed to vote on the rest of us. How in the world do you figure that was fair?
Forget me...what about the hundreds out of the 10,000 who you in effect have said their opinion doesn't matter...or at least not until one of those you have deemed worthy in turn deems them or their post of value.
The only fair thing would have been to give all active members a 1 and let it sort itself out from there.
But since you're dead set on this course, and it is in fact a dictatorship, we who deign to disagree have been told to shut up or leave. Nice choice.
What part of "the thing is broken" did you fail to understand?

strad

@rjsa
And there is OBVIOUSLY something here YOU don't understand!
If you don't care fine, but stay out of it if you ain't got a dog in the fight.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

xpensive

And what do you know, I'm all of a sudden on the board, guess the last idiot ain't born yet, wonder how I'm going to handle all this trust?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"