F1Technical updated. What's new?

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Richard

Re: F1Technical updated. What's new?

rjsa - Yes, you are correct, the coding wasn't working. However it does seem to be creeping back to life... fingers crossed.

rjsa

strad wrote:@rjsa
And there is OBVIOUSLY something here YOU don't understand!
If you don't care fine, but stay out of it if you ain't got a dog in the fight.
I did care, but never to the point of arguing. I read the explanations and it seemed fair enough. Tomba just just seeded the board but it didn't spread.

There was no intended segregtion, the thing just didn't work.

One thing you got right though, this is not a democracy, there is a self appointed full life term boss. And it's not or 'right' nor 'duty' to be here. So if you don't like the rules you can just leave.
Last edited by rjsa on 26 May 2012, 23:11, edited 1 time in total.

rjsa

I do have a question: someone who got a + and a - netting 0 loses the right to vote? Because that can be a problem, with one guy voiding a lot of people in these early stages. And also the possibility freeze the guy with the odd opinion.

strad

And also the possibility freeze the guy with the odd opinion
TADA
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Kiril Varbanov

My Internet connection is usually fast, here's a sample of the loading times of the forum:
Load timings (ms)
Event Self time Cumulative time
Redirect 0 0
DNS 0 0
Connect 0 0
Request -5 -5
First response 0 -5
Response end 11 6
Content loaded 64 87
DOM complete 200 287
Load event 4 291

Kudos once again for the speed pursuit - this is rarely seen recently ... These are the stats upon clicking on "User Control Panel" page.

myurr

Kiril Varbanov wrote:My Internet connection is usually fast, here's a sample of the loading times of the forum:

Kudos once again for the speed pursuit - this is rarely seen recently ... These are the stats upon clicking on "User Control Panel" page.
Yeah, good job. Forum is running a lot more smoothly now with really good page load times, for me at least. There are a few things that can be done to make it even better (and improve SEO as well as Google does judge a site based on it's loading and rendering speeds).

https://developers.google.com/speed/pag ... bile=false

If you click on the mobile button at the top right of the page then you'll get some more suggestions. Most are quick fixes.

One thing that I would have liked to have seen, but fully appreciate that it's a big job, is a reactive page layout so that the site works more effectively across a wider range of monitor sizes. I have large high resolution monitors and a 17" laptop and the site feels like it's only using a narrow slice of the screen as it's been designed for the typical lowest common denominator. A reactive layout would have allowed you to design for a higher resolution screen but still have the site scale down to smaller screens - even all the way down to mobile. There's several frameworks and helper libraries for doing this, my personal preference is http://cssgrid.net/. If you fire up their website and start resizing the window you can see it dynamically re-layout the website depending on how wide you make the window.

Richard

You should be able to see which posts are getting points in two ways....

- By seeing the list of posts with points rep.php?mode=list

- By going to any users profile and click on "View user’s reputation changes". Then you'll see a page like this ... :arrow:
rep.php?mode=viewcomments&u=6708

Do post a message in here if those links are not working.

Thinking of strad's point, I was wondering if the points should only be shown on posts & threads but the user's total would be hidden? That gets around the popularity contest problems but does allow good technical threads to get a higher profile?

Steven
Owner

Another small update just pushed on server:

- Added a notification number in the header when you have PMs to make that more obvious
- Further improvements to performance (Google pagespeed now indicated 89/100)
- New layout of "related topics" underneath the viewtopic pages
- Slightly increased contrast between the brighter and darker background color for posts
- Reduced font size for signatures

Steven
Owner

djos wrote:
djos wrote:Mods, im still not get email updates for PM's or new posts in subscribed topics and I cant find anything wrong with my settings?
So any chance of this being looked at? [-o<
This is indeed being looked at. I'm running some tests as well as querying the hosting company. I do however get email messages, so are you sure yours are not in the spam folder?

Richard

Tomba wrote:- Added a notification number in the header when you have PMs to make that more obvious
Looks good!

I'm also getting the email notifications about PMs

mx_tifoso

I've been getting the PM notifications through e-mail the whole time. :?
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Just_a_fan

Just a couple of feedback points:
1. Getting funny screen colour bands. Sometimes I see what I assume to be the intended look which is a block of colour (well, a beige type colour) for each post with a white surround to each. Most of the time each post has a seemingly random block of "beige" but is otherwise white. This is on two different systems: one IE9 on Win7 64bit and one on IE7 on XP 32 bit. Works fine in the Android browser in ICS however.

2. I have received a PM about a reputation change (I note that others have problems with this).

3. I am unable to vote even though I have a positive rep score. Assume this is the issue discussed over the last couple of pages and is, in fact, working as intended at this stage.

Keep up the good work!
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

djos

Tomba wrote:
djos wrote:
djos wrote:Mods, im still not get email updates for PM's or new posts in subscribed topics and I cant find anything wrong with my settings?
So any chance of this being looked at? [-o<
This is indeed being looked at. I'm running some tests as well as querying the hosting company. I do however get email messages, so are you sure yours are not in the spam folder?
Thanks Toomba, Im still not getting any F1T emails and they always worked before the forum upgrade.

EDIT: I've just checked my Outlook spam filter and my ISP's spam filter and nothing from F1T is being caught by either filters. :?
"In downforce we trust"

PlatinumZealot

I need the post counts back... I really used it to size up..., er, see who are the new members are so I can welcome them to the forum.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

djos

n smikle wrote:I need the post counts back... I really used it to size up..., er, see who are the new members are so I can welcome them to the forum.
Motion Seconded. 8)
"In downforce we trust"