Sauber F1 Team - Cutaway F1 Race Car

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
endless

Sauber F1 Team - Cutaway F1 Race Car

For the last two years the Sauber F1 Team mechanics have been using their downtime to slice a Formula One racing car lengthwise down the middle with the precision of true craftsmen. Chief Designer Matt Morris quite literally gets underneath the skin of the F1 car, pointing out where and how the individual components are located within the chassis. Everything is packed in pretty tightly. Sergio PΓ©rez is also on hand to demonstrate the driver's seating position.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wn1EFLa2C8[/youtube]

=D>

spacer

Re: Sauber F1 Team - Cutaway F1 Race Car

Amazing!

strad

Pretty cool
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

TheRMVR

Conveniantly not showing the engine, gearbox or whatever is happening at the back :lol: but still pretty cool to see.

majicmeow

not that there is much to hide, seeing as no part of that car is being used in the modern cars. Its too bad they chose an F1.08 though... they were so beautiful to look at. Why not use an older POS BMW? :)

Anyone have any still shots or closeups of this?

wrcsti

majicmeow wrote:not that there is much to hide, seeing as no part of that car is being used in the modern cars. Its too bad they chose an F1.08 though... they were so beautiful to look at. Why not use an older POS BMW? :)

Anyone have any still shots or closeups of this?
Agreed. Of all the POS bmws lying around they have to cut up the one that actually had beauty and speed.

PlatinumZealot

More teams should be like Sauber. They are very open. I really liked the days when I was a BMW Sauber fan...
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Fil

Yeah a fantastic video!

I'm fascinated why it took them 2 years to do that though.. surely they would've realised early on their angle grinder needed a new disc..? :D

The fuel cell baffles are interesting, I always expected them to be much smaller with more complex funnel-like patterns leading down to the pickup.
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

Ray

Fil wrote:The fuel cell baffles are interesting, I always expected them to be much smaller with more complex funnel-like patterns leading down to the pickup.
Same here. I've worked on F-18 Hornet fuel tanks and they have almost no baffles in them at all, but a shitload of pipes running every which way. I would've guessed they have some sort of box, so to speak, around the fuel pickup that would have kept as much fuel in contact with it as possible.

It's a real shame there aren't some really high resolution pictures to go with that video, I need a new desktop picture! It's still fantastic that they were so secret with doing this and then releasing it to the public. Absolutely amazing how tight everything is packaged in those cars. I knew the engine was low down, but it still boggles the mind how low everything is in the cars.

FW17

How did they cut it? has Sauber got a new toy?

The carbon monocoque is also so thin, about 6 to 9 mm in most areas. I was expecting it to be a lot thicker, at least 20 mm.

The aluminium honeycomb seems to form majority of the volume, while expected it to be more carbon

Also thought all these years that the nose cone was all carbon so that it can disintegrate. Wonder how CF fused with aluminium shreds into pieces at time of crash

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81PdN4Yuotk[/youtube]

Richard

I can't believe they only have that short overview after putting so much effort into cutting the car. Hopefully they'll use it to get more publicity and we'll see more detail in future.

A high res still shot would be perfect.

PlatinumZealot

Looks like it is going to be a museum display of some sort.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Lycoming

WilliamsF1 wrote:How did they cut it? has Sauber got a new toy?

The carbon monocoque is also so thin, about 6 to 9 mm in most areas. I was expecting it to be a lot thicker, at least 20 mm.

The aluminium honeycomb seems to form majority of the volume, while expected it to be more carbon
you can cut carbon fiber with a grinder, though it is slow and messy.

the honeycomb forming the majority of the volume is unsurprising as it is very efficient, like a composite I beam. It reduces the stress in the carbon by spacing it further from the neutral axis. Geometrically, its strength increases with height cubed.

FW17

Lycoming wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote:How did they cut it? has Sauber got a new toy?

you can cut carbon fiber with a grinder, though it is slow and messy.

the honeycomb forming the majority of the volume is unsurprising as it is very efficient, like a composite I beam. It reduces the stress in the carbon by spacing it further from the neutral axis. Geometrically, its strength increases with height cubed.

Quiet aware of strength of material, but explain how this configuration helps in axial compression with such a small cross section

ESPImperium

Its amazing how much detail they have in the car.

As for the geekyness of me, i put it into 1080p mode and got a clear enough pic that had the all important chassis plate for me. Chassis used was BMW Sauber F1.08-02. The chassis that spent most of the year as the unbuilt T Car. It has spent more time in a box than any other BMW Sauber F1.08.