How to get in the paddoc??

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
pompelmo

How to get in the paddoc??

I (we) know there are many "tricks" to get in the paddoc without paddoc-pass...Tips? anyone did it??..I know it happens allot;)

Venom

I got in via a fake pass :D
The trouble with the rat-race is that even if you win, you're still a rat.

zac510

Get a job as a journalist or marshal.

Phoenix

A fake pass? How did you manage to do that?

flynfrog

Phoenix wrote:A fake pass? How did you manage to do that?
its not terribly hard

Tom

In other events I've found if you look like your supposed to be there you can generaly just wonder in. F1 though is a higher class but if you can find/construct a replica pass it probably won't be closely looked at. Another option is to enter the area in a designated period and simply not leave and not get noticed.

But you didn't hear it from me.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Anybody who tells you they got into the F1 paddock, paddock club, pit lane, or grid with a fake pass (in recent history, anyway) is lying to you, pure and simple. I should know, I've been in the paddock club and pit lane for the US Grand Prix twice, and I have a large collection of F1 passes.

The passes that get you into these areas are:

* Impossible for an ordinary member of the public to copy (full color printed on thick plastic with large metal and/or plastic buckles, customised for the specific area and day you have access to, with embroidered neck straps that are also customised in the same manner)

* "Chipped" so that they can be read by turnstiles that are placed at every entrance - even the drivers themselves have to wave their passes near the machines to get in, so even if you managed to make a perfect looking fake pass, it would get you nowhere).

F1 security is also absolutely first-rate. They check every person entering the restricted areas, examine your pass carefully before issuing you a wristband that can't be removed without damaging it, and holepunching your card to show you've had your wristband issued (after which point, you can't give your pass to a friend). They also check everybody's bags carefully, and even pay attention to whether you're carrying beverages in with you (because those must be left outside - only sponsor beverages are allowed to be consumed beyond the turnstile). To suggest that you'd get past security with a fake pass is laughable.

Oh, and F1 security staff are the same at every race - they fly around the world with the rest of the F1 circus, to provide consistency and ensure they're familiar with the rules and procedures. Locals need not apply. ;)

I'd be happy to provide photos of some of my F1 paddock club passes as proof I know what I'm talking about here, and they're not even as fancy and complex as the ones that get you into pit lane, let alone the all-access passes.

As for getting in as a journalist, forget it. F1 journalists and photographers have to pass a very high standard of accreditation to get into a race, so unless you plan on starting a new career so that you can get into races a couple of years from now, that won't work. Marshalling will usually require you to have significant marshalling experience in lower formulae, and will get you access only to the areas that you as a marshall need to be in - which the paddock won't be.

If you want to get into the paddock club, you either need to become rich, or have exceptionally good contacts. If you want to get into the paddock / pit lane / grid, doubly so.

Edit: Here's two pics from 2005, showing the turnstiles set up in Monaco. The same equipment is used worldwide, though.

[IMG:577:385]http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/4615/stiles2hl3.jpg[/img]
[IMG:577:386]http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/954/stiles1gt6.jpg[/img]

I should also note that the turnstiles record the times that the bearer of each pass enters and exits, won't allow re-entry until an exit has been recorded (to prevent passes being handed through fences to get multiple people in), and AFAIK are capable of recognizing guest passes as children of a particular master pass, so that if the master pass holder doesn't show up, their guests aren't allowed in either.

furnik28

get in for free then get out in a paddy wagon and courts fines plus if you get cought with a fake pass berrine might do you for fraud or copyrite infringements. so dont bother
rok

zac510

gweilo8888 wrote:
[IMG:577:385]http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/4615/stiles2hl3.jpg[/img]
Especially with that guy in white protecting the gate! :lol:

Nice post, cheers.

flynfrog

at indy there was no turnstyle at the rear gate just an old women looking for passes around your neck

i doubt you coult get onto pit lane but you might get close

ive snuck into my fair share of restricted areas in my day

i once get a free dinner at a genral motors hospitality tent just by sneaking under a fence

flynfrog wrote:at indy there was no turnstyle at the rear gate just an old women looking for passes around your neck

i once get a free dinner at a genral motors hospitality tent just by sneaking under a fence
There might not have been a turnstile at the public side of whatever area you're referring to (where everybody congregates for photos / autographs is my guess, in which case the reason the turnstile isn't there is so they can drive a car through the gap in the fence and let the biggest VIPs out of their car where the public can't get near them), but once you got anywhere near to the paddock club, paddock, pit lane, or grid I can absolutely *guarantee* you there will have been a turnstile. You just couldn't see it.

flynfrog

gweilo8888 wrote:
flynfrog wrote:at indy there was no turnstyle at the rear gate just an old women looking for passes around your neck

There might not have been a turnstile at the public side of whatever area you're referring to (where everybody congregates for photos / autographs is my guess, in which case the reason the turnstile isn't there is so they can drive a car through the gap in the fence and let the biggest VIPs out of their car where the public can't get near them), but once you got anywhere near to the paddock club, paddock, pit lane, or grid I can absolutely *guarantee* you there will have been a turnstile. You just couldn't see it.
im sure you are right

i have also learned if you are wearing a fire suit you can go almost any where at a race track

this is espcialy true if there is a support series with the padock close to where you want to go simply walk in like you are suposed to be there

option b have a timing board with some watches on it and act like you are in a hurry

a radio head set works well for this

also try to learn a security gurads name maybe over hear some one talking to him

then as you walk by say Hi (name here) he will wonder where he knows you from long before you get stopped

not all of these will work with f1 but some of my ususal methods

Tom

I've used a few of those before aswell, rallying is much easier though. Going in the night before and not leaving also works, sometimes too well.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

flynfrog

Tom wrote:I've used a few of those before aswell, rallying is much easier though. Going in the night before and not leaving also works, sometimes too well.
also tracks are not built like bank vaults either there are tons of doors that may or may not have any one by them

fwa2500

another way is if you have 'connections'.....though, usually something stupid happens and you forget to ask them if they can hook you up with a pass.....for example, my dad happens to know Sam Posey (through architecture, not racing) and we completely spaced out on that link when we went to indy for the GP......oh well....