VW group's unique platform sharing architecture

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
ds.raikkonen

Re: VW group's unique platform sharing architecture

Oh, pretty cool. The M3 or even the 330 Sport both are raw cars, wondering whether they ll come out with a new CSL? The previous one was absolutely jaw dropping, made angry noises as well 8) loved its 'bareness', just like the 997 GT3 RS. The S4 sure is a smooth operator, one who has its face held up high, dripping with superiority and is above all these things such as track days :)
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

raymondu999

Personally I think the S/RS line of Audi is a road car that is made sporty. ie. it's closer to the saloon side of the hybrid combination. The M3 and Porsche are very definitely a lot more purebred.

I have personally done track days before several times - but never in my Audi. Heck not my ponies either :lol:

The Audi - to me - feels a lot more like a road saloon than it does a track vehicle built for speed. I have tried it with ASR and ESP off though - and it definitely feels racier, but nothing close to my other, more "raw" purebreeds.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ds.raikkonen

Well I would nt know, I own a humble VW, but it sure can provide entertainment whenever I want to! How does your Audi feel on the expressways, ? Some owners have converted their AWD Audi to RWD :shock: I ve heard that BMW's active steering works rather well. Any such thing in your Audi?
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

raymondu999

What's active steering?

My Audi is indeed a quattro. Again I've never brought it to the track, but on in the expressways, in the corners, slow, quick, etc... steering wise it actually feels alright, despite being an AWD car. From what I understand it Audi quattro systems throttle the drive from the front to the back progressively when they corner, to kill off understeer.

I have an S350 (albeit 9 years old) and the steering on the Audi feels a lot better than the S350. Maybe it's a personal preference thing, but somehow with the Merc the car feels like it's "floating." There's something that I can't place that really irks me about it. It's like there's a disconnect between the steering input and the car. The reaction time between the two is good, it feels happening at the same time, but it's a bit surreal - like, "am I really turning the car? It doesn't feel like I am." It feels like you're just coincidentally turning the steering wheel where the car is going at the right time. And this is cruising for a Sunday drive, not pushing in any way shape or form. I hope I haven't confused anyone! :lol:

Note: I don't, and probably won't ever again, own a BMW - that thing has caused me too much trauma in the past! :lol:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ds.raikkonen

raymondu999 wrote:What's active steering?

...From what I understand it Audi quattro systems throttle the drive from the front to the back progressively when they corner, to kill off understeer.

..It's like there's a disconnect between the steering input and the car. The reaction time between the two is good, it feels happening at the same time, but it's a bit surreal
Active steering was developed by BMW, which made the steering more responsive at low speeds for more maneuverability and less responsive at higher speeds for more directional stability. The system uses a variable gear ratio via a planetary gear set and an electric motor.
Yes, Audi's quattro system with the Type C centre differential gives a 40:60 front-rear split and can adjust it according to the feedback from on-board sensors like ABS and steering wheel to improve handling and is more of a preventive system rather than reactive as in the case of a Haldex system.
The S350 indeed floats on its pneumatic AIRmatic suspension system and I believe it has an electric power steering as well? After all, it is a luxury barge, you should have considered it's driver involvement before buying it mate :)

raymondu999

I have a button on the dashboard where if I press it, I have a small screen inside the speedo which goes "Airmatic: Vehicle rising." I never turn that on though - but I don't know if that just turns off a certain mode on the suspension, or if it actually turns it completely off.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ds.raikkonen

If I recall correctly, in one of Autocar's issues, there was an article on the S320. It said that, for city conditions, the S rides on its air suspension for enhanced comfort and at higher speeds i.e. on expressways, it lowers the ride height for more stability. Have you experienced that happening?

raymondu999

To be honest I don't pay much attention! :lol:

The last S320 was with the W220 chassis I think. Then when they did a facelift of the W220, they replaced it with the S350 - which is what I have.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ds.raikkonen

Quite understandable, when you re cocooned in the luxury of an S350, you tend to forget about what's going on outside :) inside too, if you re not driving it (which is what it is meant for :wink: ) The W220 chassis was used till 2006 right?

raymondu999

I think they introduced the W221 in 2005 but it started selling to other locations later on - like around end of 2006?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法