POLL: Do you think voting on posts should be open to all?

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.

Do you think voting on posts should be open to all?

Yes.
15%
Not to new users, until after a certain time or number of posts.
23%
No, it's fine as is.
35%
No. Voting & Reputation should be removed completely.
27%

Total votes: 92

i70q7m7ghw

POLL: Do you think voting on posts should be open to all?

Sot his vote system has been in for a while now. I don't feel it's work. The system should be free and open, much like other post weighting systems, such as those used on YouTube comments.

Reputation is a waste of time, it just splits users in to classes and promotes snobbery. Scrap it, and just open the votes out to all. If you must limit it so users greater than a month old or over a certain post count can vote.

That's my views anyway.

Now, please vote for your right to vote :)

mep

Re: POLL: Do you think voting on posts should be open to all

hahahahah
I think it is fine as it is. Especially when we see that some apparently have trouble to use it. I mean you just need reputation 1 and you are able to vote. What more do you want?
There are not even enough technical relevant posts coming up to use a single vote a day. I could even live with a single vote a week. It is good that not everybody is allowed to vote especially because I noticed that some use the system to down vote comments they don't like or persons they don't like. At least if the reputation of these people drops to zero they can't do that anymore.

i70q7m7ghw

What your saying only works if people only use their votes on technical posts. There's no way to control that, people are going to vote on anything.

The scale is also complete off. With the current system, if a post gets a single vote it's suddenly classed a masterpiece? or even just 2 votes? A post should get 20 votes before it's considered "excellent" and only then should that user get a +1 reputation point. +1 vote = +1 reputation point is just wrong.

mep

I agree with you that the people don't receive their votes for post which are technically particular valuable. This becomes obvious when you notice that topics about a GP have much more votes than technical topics. Therefore I think it should not be possible to vote in non technical sections of the forum.
What is interesting is that so far I have not seen a comment receiving more than 1 point of reputation. Therefore it is not about the amount of votes a comment receives it is just about the reputation a certain user has. A few of the users here have already build up a quite high one which then does represent in some way the contribution of those users.

bhall

What difference does it make? Does the number under my name make me that much less full of ---? I think not.

flynfrog

mep wrote:I agree with you that the people don't receive their votes for post which are technically particular valuable. This becomes obvious when you notice that topics about a GP have much more votes than technical topics. Therefore I think it should not be possible to vote in non technical sections of the forum.
What is interesting is that so far I have not seen a comment receiving more than 1 point of reputation. Therefore it is not about the amount of votes a comment receives it is just about the reputation a certain user has. A few of the users here have already build up a quite high one which then does represent in some way the contribution of those users.
or if you vote up a non technical post you lose your voting rights.

strad

I voted option 4..I think the whole thing is downright stupid.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Steven
Owner

flynfrog wrote:or if you vote up a non technical post you lose your voting rights.
There is this possibility for mods to revoke a user's voting permissions, no matter what their reputation is.
I can tell you we're checking almost daily at what gets voted up or down, and there are trends appearing. We're watching that to prevent abuse. So far this is not used and we prefer not to, but we are voting on posts constantly, just like you guys are ;)
As the tooltips say, the voting system is there to vote valuable posts. Not necessarily things that you agree with. People misusing this will be handled with as we see fit.

Also, rep = votes is a correct system as applied almost everywhere where similar systems are implemented. At least now people know what reputation is. I know a few sites though who increase rep by a certain amount when users reach some rep, just to underline the user's value. Perhaps we will need this too, but it's not present atm.

Opening up the system for everyone is also not going to happen, no matter what are the arguments. One rep to be allowed voting is a simple and small requirement which every reasonable user can easily reach. Many users have already reached this and are voting post they find useful.

As said before though, the voting system is not a fixed item, and we're all open to suggestions for changes.

PS: Voting in off-topic chat and this forum has been disabled btw.

Belatti

IMHO the system is well implemented and works ok. The results reflects the members contributions and the valuable threads. I dont care if its a little bit snobish as long as it doesnt conduct to a rat race behaviour between members.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

CMSMJ1

I don't think it works too well to be fair.

I am a relatively old member and do not get involved in the fan boy and tit for tat posting rallies that go on.

In fact, I probably don't read some of the posts by some of the newer members as it is 80% tripe. :o

20% quality of course...but I digress.

I tried to vote on a totally useless, vindictive post the other day First time I tried a vote..and it did not work. I huffed a touch...and then thought sod it.

The uber posting clique will not allow any variation of votes - the posts will all become the same and posters with a view contrary to the clique will end up leaving/not posting.

For what it's worth - I miss people like Conceptual, Islamatron, 747heavy and Ciro. All the new school bleaters have not on fifth of thw quality, comedy or intelligece of these posters..

Perhaps it is time for me to bugger off too- that was a proper moan eh?

@ Steven, Principessa and Mods - you do a great job in ballache circumstance. Well done =D>
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

bhall

Tomba wrote:PS: Voting in off-topic chat...has been disabled btw.
Outstanding. That was my lone concern.

Steven
Owner

bhallg2k wrote:
Tomba wrote:PS: Voting in off-topic chat...has been disabled btw.
Outstanding. That was my lone concern.
Your concern, yet you found the need to upvote posts in this section... anyway it's better now I think.

Any votes in the vote-disabled forums will be undone, just to keep consistency.

bhall

This isn't off-topic, though. I think views here are valid.

EDIT: Knowing who votes where is a bit undemocratic, don't you think?

Also, there's one member of the forum aside from moderators who can downvote anything, yet there are many, many downvotes. It's one thing to moderate; it's quite another to pass judgment and control votes.

Once you give away the "right" to vote, the votes don't belong to you anymore.

So, hey, turns out I have more than one issue. Who'da thunk it?

Steven
Owner

@bhallg2k, complaining about the voting system while abusing it yourself is not the way to go...

Anyway, we're three mods and one guy who can currently downvote. That would still not outweigh 40 upvotes from other members on a post. It's a democratic principle and I see no problem in that. I vote up or down as I deem fit, no matter if a post was voted on before. If should be like that for everyone.

i70q7m7ghw

How is a post ever going to get 40 upvotes? At the moment a single down vote hides the post...