F1Technical updated. What's new?

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Steven
Owner

Re: F1Technical updated. What's new?

flynfrog wrote:yes but when I click on the Banner at the top of any page it doesn't take me there.
Do you want "active topics" to be added as a a subitem to the "forum" item in the menu?

xpensive

Since this voting thing was introduced, I was first elevated to 12, then gradually reduced to 5, how does that happen?

How many members have 25 votes, the minimum amount to be able to downvote someone?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Steven
Owner

@xpensive: We first spawned reputation on posts that were also made a while ago, all valuable. It seems that you have made some interesting contributions in the past. This allowed a lot of members to start voting after we got some evaluations done (during which some were complaining about the lack of voting rights).

Unfortunately, some posts that appeared more recently were less interesting, as you have declared yourself before as well. These were consistently downvoted, hence your decreasing reputation.

flynfrog

Tomba wrote:
flynfrog wrote:yes but when I click on the Banner at the top of any page it doesn't take me there.
Do you want "active topics" to be added as a a subitem to the "forum" item in the menu?
its more just the way I use the forum. I click the banner on the top of the page rather than go back in a topic.

xpensive

Again, how many members of F1T has the right to downvote another member, you said it took 25 votes to get that?

Steven
Owner

Again, there's a memberlist where you can see user reputations
memberlist.php?mode=&sk=z&sd=d#memberlist

xpensive

So, there's only one member with that right, who downvoted my at least 7 times, do you think that's a fair system, Steven?

Steven
Owner

Again, all mods can downvote as well.

strad

I find 1...Dave W

So the Mods can take a dislike to someone and slaughter them?
Last edited by Steven on 29 Jun 2012, 20:24, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged consecutive posts
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Steven
Owner

That mods have the possibility to up and downvote was clear form the beginning. And we're not slaughtering anyone. If you feel like that, you need some time off me thinks.

Finally, for completeness, so far there have been 451 upvotes, 30 downvotes

strad

If you feel like that, you need some time off me thinks.
Ah...Now we're not entitled to an opinion....interesting.
I think you're so close to the forest you can't see the trees.
I think that because some people don't like what you think is a great idea, you're pissed.
And if you think that warrants some time out, so be it.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

xpensive

Tomba wrote:Again, all mods can downvote as well.
Is that a fact, well that xplains a thing or to, doesn't it? Do you consider that a fair system, Steven?

Steven
Owner

Guys, it has been said from the very beginning that mods can vote as it they have reputation infinite. The mods are the mods because they are willing to take the time to check things, to handle reports and to be able to correct stuff when it's needed. Hence, they can upvote posts the think are valuable, and downvote posts that do not add anything. And that is exactly how we are using it as well. From the mods at least there is no abuse whatsoever, so yes it is a valid system.

Also, strad, why do you think I'm pissed? I am doing my best to reply to all answers here, both in this topic as well as through PMs. I am nonetheless baffled to read that you think the mods are here to slaughter people they don't like. I think history shows that we are very patient and are putting in a lot of PMs before even thinking about enforcing a temporary ban. Is there any reason to think that is not the case?

xpensive

So, votes to a member doesn't really mean much, might just be reflecting his relation with the mods, interesting to know.

Steven
Owner

To put things in perspective: from the 60 most recent votes, 10 were made by me and 3 by other mods.
In this period, 4 of the 60 votes were downvotes.