F1Technical updated. What's new?

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
strad

Re: F1Technical updated. What's new?

Seconded...
Tomba..You think the mods are immune to carrying a grudge or dislike of a certain member..not necessarily meaning me...and down voting them unfairly?
Boy..I don't trust anyone not to be capable of just downright disliking somebody...hell sometimes without even a reason.
Perhaps slaughter was strong, but they can certainly express their disdain by cutting a guy down,,,anonymously btw...from behind a veil.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

xpensive

But as for those seven downvotes on me, I'm pretty sure they were 100% from the mods, one in particular at that... :lol:
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Steven
Owner

@xpensive: I did my part

@strad: mind you that even when a mod downvotes, it counts for -1, exactly the same as someone else would vote a post down. If something is very valuable, the community's upvotes would easily compensate for this as well.

xpensive

Doesn't matter now Steven, my faith in this voting is zip from now on, even if I have suspected as much for some time.

But hey, even if the forum has lost technical moderation, crispness and voting credibility, it's still great fun! =D>

strad

Tomba this should have simply been a discussion but as with most things here it turns into an argument..All I am saying is that the only qualification for being a Mod is to have volunteered. There's no assurance, which you seem to assume, that a guy won't misuse his power just because he doesn't like somebody, or has quarreled with him in the past. You now have a situation where you're in effect asking members to curry favor with mods so they won't be downgraded.
Now these are my opinions and worth what was paid for them, but they're mine and I hold them.
I thought about just PMing this but we should be able to discuss it in the open.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Steven
Owner

@strad: I'm not asking anyone to "curry favor" with a mod, but some basic respect for the people who put their time into this forum is the least I hope to expect.
I also understand that people may have histories before becoming a mod, or may get into arguments with some user while being a mod. I am aware this may influence judgement slightly, but I have yet to find an issue that makes someone's moderation position impossible. mx_tifoso and richard_leeds are both doing a great job, and while I know some people are unhappy, you just cannot make everybody happy.

@xpensive: getting back to your downvoting recently. Have you actually taken the time to look at which of your posts have been up or downvoted? It could be an interesting lesson.

Finally I want to spur you on to vote on valuable posts. While you are both whining about the influence mods have on the voting system, that power will rapidly diminish when more people use their voting possibilities.

xpensive

Tomba wrote: ...
@xpensive: getting back to your downvoting recently. Have you actually taken the time to look at which of your posts have been up or downvoted? It could be an interesting lesson.
Whatever for Steven, you said it yourself that they were not downvoted by a fellow member, but rather penalized by a zealous mod and I don't need to look up which posts to have a pretty good idea who that might be?

As strad suggested above, perhaps the only qualification for a mod is that he has volunteered?

Steven
Owner

@xpensive: Of course I did not expect you to check which of your posts get downvoted. What was I thinking? :wtf:

As for mods qualification: mx_tifoso and richard both proved their worth to this forum long before they were mods. And they're still proving that day after day.

i70q7m7ghw

@Tomba: are mods only down voting 'useless' posts by members that have high reputation, or are mods simply down voting all 'useless' posts. It would seem to me users with higher reputation get scrutinised more heavily, is this fair?

flynfrog

I think that if the same criteria were being applied to all users we would have a bunch with neg. totals now. X seems to be singled out because he rose to a high number quickly. I had one of my posts voted down that I didn't feel should have been vote up in the first place but not quite worthy of a down vote either.

xpensive

@Tomba: I think I'm getting the hang of tihs now, my votes are climbing!

Steven
Owner

xpensive wrote:@Tomba: I think I'm getting the hang of tihs now, my votes are climbing!
It surely does seem like it :)
However, please don't ask for votes on your own posts, not in the post and not through PM's. It's against the forum rules.

Can I also add that of the last 50 votes, only 1 was made by a moderator. It is nice to see people more actively use this system!

Caito

Didn't know where to put it, a new thread would be a waste.

Under "Board Preferences", Edit Reputation Settings appears twice.
Come back 747, we miss you!!

Steven
Owner

Some updates:

- redesign of the page that keeps track of reputation votes: rep.php?mode=list
- possibility to see only your own votes: rep.php?mode=list&filter=self
- possibility to cancel your votes made in the last 24 hours (on the page showing your own votes)
- immediate display of your reputation in the dropdown on your username (in the header of each page, aside of the search box)
- improvement of the page layout to print news articles and forum topics
- added submenu items under 'forum' in the site menubar