POLL: Do you think voting on posts should be open to all?

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.

Do you think voting on posts should be open to all?

Yes.
15%
Not to new users, until after a certain time or number of posts.
23%
No, it's fine as is.
35%
No. Voting & Reputation should be removed completely.
27%

Total votes: 92

Steven
Owner

Re: POLL: Do you think voting on posts should be open to all

@Diesel: Posts are only hidden when the posts' total rating with all its votes is negative. An upvote and a downvote together will result in a rating of 0, hence the post will not be hidden. I think atm that is correct behaviour, but that value may be adjusted of course.

Also, hidden posts can be shown and upvoted by anyone... I don't see what you're complaining about.

i70q7m7ghw

Tomba wrote:@Diesel: Posts are only hidden when the posts' total rating with all its votes is negative. An upvote and a downvote together will result in a rating of 0, hence the post will not be hidden. I think atm that is correct behaviour, but that value may be adjusted of course.

Also, hidden posts can be shown and upvoted by anyone... I don't see what you're complaining about.
I didn't understand your example of 40 posts, it makes sense now you've explained it.

I think that setup is probably correct, but it still gives those the power to downvote alot of power, most of us are pretty powerless to upvote a post. One topic in the cars forum and I've usually used my votes up for the day.

bhall

That's sort of my point. The only way to "abuse" the voting system is to somehow have more daily votes, or whatever, than I should have. Otherwise, my vote is my choice, just as your vote is your choice. That's what voting is all about.

(It should also be totally anonymous. There's a reason why truly democratic elections are by secret ballot.)

However, the problem lies in that the power to vote is inherently a popularity contest/power play. Only +25 members, the popularity contest, and moderators, the power play, can downvote. I've seen tons of stuff I'd love to downvote but can't because I've not yet been deemed worthy by the masses; just as, I'm sure, other have seen tons of my stuff that they'd love to downvote, but they can't for the same reason.

Beyond that, what does it really change? For example, my "reputation" is identical to xpensive's, even though his technical posts are light-years beyond mine. Does that make sense?

Voting reflects little more than who likes who and for what reason.

That last point pretty much negates the others, because this whole thing is really quite meaningless. I'd just like to see it implemented logically if it's going to be implemented at all. (I don't intend that to be a personal criticism of you or anyone else.)

And, please, call me Ben. I'm think I'm going to have to start going the Brian route here, because I think we're beyond the "username" formality at this point.

strad

My point from the beginning...It's really quite lame. i.m.o.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

mep

Well one thing I was wondering about is if it could be possible to see who gave somebody a vote?
I know this can cause some trouble if two people start to fight against each other. However on the other side it allows to monitor who gives votes.
It could be show on the users recent reputation changes.

Red Schneider

bhallg2k wrote:For example, my "reputation" is identical to xpensive's, even though his technical posts are light-years beyond mine. Does that make sense?
From what I've seen x is being punished for having a sense of humor. I think he deserves to be treated better than that.

strad

=D>
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

xpensive

Red Schneider wrote:
bhallg2k wrote:For example, my "reputation" is identical to xpensive's, even though his technical posts are light-years beyond mine. Does that make sense?
From what I've seen x is being punished for having a sense of humor. I think he deserves to be treated better than that.
Thank you Red, but I'm afraid that my shrinking votes has more to do with the animosity from a certain mod. :wink:

@bhallg2k;
When this forum is technical in name only, I don't think the technical level of a member's posts matter much in that respect?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

bhall

Well, the flip-side of the of that coin is that you are a pain in the ass. But, since I'm also a pain in the ass, I naturally don't have a problem with it. In fact, if there have only been 30-something downvotes, most of those are probably to our (dis)credit. I know I've lost more than I actually have. But, whatchagonnado?

strad

AS I said...some are too close to the forest to see the trees and are so happy with their toy that they can't or don't want to see any flaws.
SInce I don't much care what my reputation is I guess I shouldn't care and let time tell the story.
I think this is gonna do exactly the opposite of what they think.
Sir Stirling Moss

xpensive

When the mods are the only ones with the right to downvote and they use it to police and penalize, what's the point?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

hollus

Let's not let the perfect be the enemy of the good. I don't think anybody said or thinks that the system does not have any flaws.

I see most of the cream of this forum, the posters that make me come back, slowly floating to the surface of the reputation ranking. X, you were second in that ranking for a while, which means that you actually posting numbers and calculations is appreciated and valued (I miss Ciro).

The system is only getting kick-started, but look at who already has reputations of 5 or higher:
Rep ranking
With more people voting, in a month or so most of that first page will have the right to downvote as well as to upvote and the system will look much more democratic, won't it?

It is new. Give it sometime, but the names in the linked page tell me that the voting system it is not doing an awful job.
Last edited by hollus on 02 Jul 2012, 01:37, edited 1 time in total.
Rivals, not enemies.

Belatti

Whats the rating you must have to downvote?

X, I like many of your posts, your sense of humour and your engineerish pragmatism. However, [...] The thing is, I try to moderate myself arround here, even more than in my "real" life (please allow me to put it that way) because everyone has different levels of reading comprenhension (understandable when English is not our mother tongue) and we really dont know each other, face to face I mean.

Im telling you this because initially I found yourself as a rude poster, till I got your ways. Im sure thats what may cause the "animosity".
Last edited by Steven on 01 Jul 2012, 19:15, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed personal comments
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Dragonfly

strad wrote:
My point from the beginning...It's really quite lame. i.m.o.
Mine is the same.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

wesley123

I voted; No. Voting & Reputation should be removed completely.

The idea is okay, but it adds nothing at all. You ust click +1 and after that you only notice there are a few good posts in that topic because it got a 5 behind it while 90% of the topic is still crap.

aybe if you could 'praise' the posts which were uprated, for exaple by a different background color, it would help. Otherwise only the -1 option is useful since that actually hides the post.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender