POLL: Do you think voting on posts should be open to all?

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.

Do you think voting on posts should be open to all?

Yes.
15%
Not to new users, until after a certain time or number of posts.
23%
No, it's fine as is.
35%
No. Voting & Reputation should be removed completely.
27%

Total votes: 92

Jersey Tom

Re: POLL: Do you think voting on posts should be open to all

I like the idea of using a background color or something to highlight "good" posts or threads or whatever.

I think in general the concept is good, to reflect value of content rather than volume.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

raymondu999

I agree that voting should be open to all. It doesn't take someone with good posts to recognise a fantastic post, IMO.

EDIT: IN proviso the guy has at least X posts. Otherwise someone could just create a phantom account to constantly upvote themselves.
Last edited by raymondu999 on 02 Jul 2012, 05:55, edited 1 time in total.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

xpensive

[...]
Last edited by Steven on 02 Jul 2012, 12:11, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Same old, same old...
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Steven
Owner

raymondu999 wrote:I agree that voting should be open to all. It doesn't take someone with good posts to recognise a fantastic post, IMO..
People are already saying it's already a system that sees people upvote posts they like. If open to anyone, this is likely to become the case even more.
Apart from that though, I don't think it's really hard to get to a positive reputation, it only takes a bit of effort. If that is too much to ask, then people should not be able to vote.

i70q7m7ghw

I think the point is though Tomba, votes are worth too much at the moment. 1 misplaced vote and suddently a fanboi post is rated the same as a brilliant technical post.

If it was open to all, a single vote would be less, and good technical posts are more likely to rise to the top. You could then maybe run a query on "this topics top posts" which would give people a good overview of a large topic, weeding out all the trash. At the moment if you ran this, you would get quite a distorted view.

Cam

As someone who joined this forum just before the voting system was launched, I got to see both sides from a relatively clean perspective. Prior to the voting, I had no idea who was good - now I can see which posts people respect and I take time to read those posts and those threads - it also means I can with some certainty, trust the information in that post.

I can vote and have had that ability since it started. I don't really use the votes unless someone makes a really great point or I learn something that I could not learn elsewhere. One must earn my vote.

The system is not perfect as I've seen down votes that are obviously personal attacks on an opinion or view that someone didn't like and that's a shame. I doubt that could ever be fixed. My ratings are not high and I doubt they'll ever be, however I hope that I can contribute some insights worthy of a vote from time to time and I would expect most reasonable forum members would form a similar view - it should be about adding value that brings rewards. If people are worried about it becoming a popularity contest, maybe they need to look inside themselves for the changes they seek.

The system is okay by me. I have faith that the Mods will review it from time to time and tweak if required. The fact they allow the system to be called into question at all should be enough transparency to appease the masses.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

smellybeard

I'm a webmaster on a few forums and have frequently been asked to add this feature. I don't moderate and rarely post on most of them. I'm resisting. As far as I can see, it's Trouble (with a capital T).

Jackuar

As a newbie here, I should say this site is one of the very few cleanest sites I've ever visited on the internet. Not many forums are properly monitored and moderated. When votings are removed, it leads to anyone posting their opinion. Everyone has got one.

I think the current system is very much fine.
Finishing second is being the first one of losers....

Pup
Pup

smellybeard wrote:I'm a webmaster on a few forums and have frequently been asked to add this feature. I don't moderate and rarely post on most of them. I'm resisting. As far as I can see, it's Trouble (with a capital T).
I don't know if it's caused trouble - you'd have to ask the moderators. But I certainly don't think it's added anything to the forum. I've been uninterested in the debate around it, but if the idea is to rate members based on their contribution to the community, I have to say that it looks like a failure to me. When I look at those with the most votes, sure I see some of the more respected members. But I also see the board spammers and trolls, and a couple who quite frankly I consider to be the village idiots. At first I saw it as a challenge to my preconceptions, but when you click through and take a look at the posts that get voted up - well, it all seems a bit silly, especially when the mods readily admit that they're fudging the points to make it work.

The board has definitely been calm of late, but I think the credit for that has far more to do with WB leaving, HS and I calling a truce on the Austin deal, and just general mid-season malaise.

bhall

Pup wrote:[...] and a couple who quite frankly I consider to be the village idiots.
Hey, I resemble that remark!

Pup
Pup

Nah, I didn't mean you.

Or did I?

:lol:

marcush.

I don´t give a pup on the points ... :lol:
seriously ,I´m surprised by my own count comparing to other much respected contributors .I rarely vote personally and would never downvote even realising I´m entitled to do so.
I think the system has not added value for me and I´m looking forward to times i will not even care about looking at the points count and make my own judgement on credibility of posters.
The system may or may not be useful for guys new to the forum -but as pup pointed out - I don´t consider myself as a reference really ...
don´t even thnk about opening the upvoting to anyone and forget about the downvotes
As a potential help it may be a good idea to put the mods view into the game.I see no reason why reprimands ,temporary banning or points docking should not be viewable in public.
As I understand sanctions are only given for repetitive abuse of the forum and unacceptable behaviour so at least for some time those members should wear a devils face or something until considered healed... :evil: :evil:

strad

OOOOH a red letter of shame....I like it....cept some would wear it with honor. :lol:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

xpensive

bhallg2k wrote:
Pup wrote:[...] and a couple who quite frankly I consider to be the village idiots.
Hey, I resemble that remark!
Me too, but I don't mind actually, neither to wear that scarlet letter!

xpensive

Oh my, last time I checked I had 21 votes, now down to 17 after losing 5 votes in 2 minutes last night, wonder who I offended this time?