Lotus E20 VD

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Websta

Re: Lotus E20 Renault

Radio transmission to Raikkonen during FP2: "The rear wing is doing what it did in Silverstone last weekend - we are losing downforce in the slow speed corners."

mike

looks like the flow in the pipe is too much so its sucking air from the high pressure areas of the rear wing at low speeds

bhall

I don't think this is an F-duct or a Daffy Duct at all. I think it's just a way to increase air flow over the wing that's having trouble in low-speed corners because there's not enough pressure in such corners to give order to the added flow.

Lurk

issues4 wrote:if you recall, merc was the only team that operated a passive f-duct back then..ie non driver operated later on.
McLaren was the first: Monaco 2009.

N12ck

bhallg2k wrote:I don't think this is an F-duct or a Daffy Duct at all. I think it's just a way to increase air flow over the wing that's having trouble in low-speed corners because there's not enough pressure in such corners to give order to the added flow.
I don't think it is anything to do with the rear wing at all apart from the DRS activation :lol:
try find an outlet for it....
Budding F1 Engineer

mike

bhallg2k wrote:I don't think this is an F-duct or a Daffy Duct at all. I think it's just a way to increase air flow over the wing that's having trouble in low-speed corners because there's not enough pressure in such corners to give order to the added flow.
if they are indeed adding flow then why is there a secondary pipe to allow flow to escape?

bhall

That only looks like a secondary pipe to allow flow to escape. I say it's just an optimized Red Bull-style "cannon" vent.

I think air is fed from the new airbox scoops to the new vents on the wing's main plane simply to provide added volume. That's not a bad idea if it works.

Blackout

I think It's very similar to Mclaren and Ferrari 2010 F-duct in some aspects. The airbox's addittional intakes feed the gearbox's radiator when the air isnt going to the rear wing... and the rounded 'monkey seat' helps the extrxtion of air out of the lower pipe...
Last edited by Blackout on 20 Jul 2012, 15:18, edited 1 time in total.

N12ck

The air is going through the duct to the rear wing, using the DRS as a signal for the duct, leading down the endplates for the signal, blowing over the top of the diffuser, :D
Last edited by N12ck on 20 Jul 2012, 15:27, edited 1 time in total.
Budding F1 Engineer

mike

rear wing is working at high pressure, do you think the pressure from the air scoops are higher than that of the rear wing??

bhall

How does the DRS flap act as a fluidic valve if it doesn't cover the new vents?

EDIT:
mike wrote:rear wing is working at high pressure, do you think the pressure from the air scoops are higher than that of the rear wing??
At low speed, sure.

mike

the wing is at high pressure so when is on normal mode the pressure stops the air from coming up from the holes, when drs opens the pressure is lower since there is only one profile working the air comes up and pushes the air from the top of the profile to the bottom stalling the wing.

N12ck

mike wrote:the wing is at high pressure so when is on normal mode the pressure stops the air from coming up from the holes, when drs opens the pressure is lower since there is only one profile working the air comes up and pushes the air from the top of the profile to the bottom stalling the wing.
it is blowing over the top of the diffuser that is where the outlet is I am sure :lol:
Last edited by N12ck on 20 Jul 2012, 15:18, edited 1 time in total.
Budding F1 Engineer

Owen.C93

N12ck wrote:
mike wrote:the wing is at high pressure so when is on normal mode the pressure stops the air from coming up from the holes, when drs opens the pressure is lower since there is only one profile working the air comes up and pushes the air from the top of the profile to the bottom stalling the wing.
it is not stalling the rear wing, it is blowing over the top of the diffuser
They could do that 24/7 if they wanted, no need to make a stupidly complex DRS system.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

N12ck

Owen.C93 wrote:
N12ck wrote:
it is not stalling the rear wing, it is blowing over the top of the diffuser
They could do that 24/7 if they wanted, no need to make a stupidly complex DRS system.
I might be wrong, but it looks like the ducts lead down to the diffuser area

@N15ck
Last edited by N12ck on 20 Jul 2012, 15:31, edited 1 time in total.
Budding F1 Engineer