Setup Sheets

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
hardingfv32

Setup Sheets

This is a R30 Setup sheet from the Raikkonen test.

Roughly, what is the suspension layout?

There is an outer spring specified but no outer damper.
There are center dampers but no center spring. What is a center system?
There are roll dampers.

That is the possibility of a three types of dampener systems per each end of the car (not just three dampers). What would that look like?

Brian

gixxer_drew

Re: R30 Setup Sheet

Thanks for posting this, very interesting.

Center could be heave and outer is the individual wheel springs. If you break it down into two motions heave and roll two dampers can do it all.

For center (heave) you could have no spring if you had two outers to support the load (no heave specific spring) or if you were relying on gas pressure or even bump stop for ride, thats gotta be a nice bump rubber though. The stuff I use would melt or something...
My $.02

jordangp

I'm sure this is already discussed somewhere...

Found it : viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11687&start=15

hardingfv32

Yes discussed, but nothing really determined.

Brian

Owen.C93

Torro Rosso Setup sheet

I thought I'd share this setup sheet from Torro Rosso at Hockenheim.

Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

hardingfv32

Re: Setup Sheets

This looks more like a script for how the session will be run.

Brian

Owen.C93

hardingfv32 wrote:This looks more like a script for how the session will be run.

Brian
Yeah I don't know why I called it that.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

gato azul

yes, it's a test plan, not a set-up sheet per se, but interesting nonetheless - thanks for sharing

the most interesting information IMO perhaps
are the cold tyre pressures and the heating times and temperatures for the different tyres.
it also shows, that teams try to run as low as possible, see repeated "plank wear checks".

ESPImperium

That run plan sheet is very interesting, especially when looking at the engine block on the bottom right.

He was planned to run 74 laps on that engine, to leave 18 laps left on it by the end of the day, Riccardo (STR7-04) only ran 54 on it, a whole 20 laps short. This engine will be used in a FP1 or FP2 later in the season that is for sure. Looking at my data, Riccardo has an average of 2,220.027km on each of his engines, whitch is fantastic as all the Ferrari powered guys have an average of 2,117.595km on their allocation so far. Looks like the engine he started the season with to be totally honest.

mep

That setup sheet is the best F1 thing being leaked to the web since the Monaco telemetry data. That definitely deserves a point even though it happened a couple of months ago.
Very interesting is the aerodynamic balance of 40.59. I guess this is percent towards the front axle. Also interesting that they mention the wishbone angle (12deg). You would not think that this is a variable parameter for the setup.
However for me the most interesting points are PPS Actuator Area, PPS Accumulator and PPS Oil Offset. I wonder what PPS stands for? I have the strong feeling that it is related to the interlinked suspension. P could stand for pitch.
Actuator area could be the area of the cylinders in place of front and rear heave damper. The rear one is bigger which could compensate for the lower acceleration value than deceleration.
They could have a accumulator in the system with a linear spring stiffness of 100Nmm for 20mm. Which would reduce the stiffness of the link. However a stiffness of 100Nmm seems to be very soft for me.
I don't really know what could be meant by PPS Oil offset.

GSpeedR

mep wrote:Also interesting that they mention the wishbone angle (12deg). You would not think that this is a variable parameter for the setup.
Assuming that "wishbone angle" refers to the front-view angle from horizontal, it gives an indication of the lateral/vertical coupling (aka jacking coefficient). It isn't exactly equal to the jacking coefficient, but it is easily measurable on an actual car. Measuring the arm angles is a quick/easy way to confirm or compare geometric settings in their software to ensure things are how they should be. Suspension coupling certainly has important effects on roll moments and platform control. Looking at suspension geometries of some of the cars this year (like the Ferrari), the teams are using significant amounts of kinematic anti-roll.

bill shoe

The wishbone angles for front susp probably refers to the castor angle created by those wishbones. So those wishbones create 12 deg castor and the castor is (perhaps redundantly?) listed as 12 deg. This is a large amount of castor, street cars almost never go that high. This large castor angle explains why they need power steering on 1400 lb cars. Every time they turn the steering wheel they are pumping through a lot of damper stroke.

thisisatest

the label says "top wishbone" and "bottom wishbone", not wishbone angles. looking at the rear wishbones, theyre labelled Mk1 and Mk1/with Mk2 track rod. it's conceivable they would have wishbones that change other parameters, even slight wheelbase changes, kingpin offset (changing the upright too), and of course the monaco version that allows more steering lock.

mep

I know about jacking effects but keep in mind that the suspension pick up points on the chassis are fixed (very likely) so changing the wishbone angle in front view is very difficult to achieve. It probably requires a different upright which features different outboard suspension pickup points. Even then the possible changes might be very limited.
It is possible that it has something to do with castor or castor angle which is not the same. So castor might not be listed redundantly as one can refer to the angle and one to the measure of length.
Anyways what are the PPS values referring to?

GSpeedR

Even still, I wold imagine that teams do change uprights from time to time and the easiest way to confirm your current geometry is to measure angles. Though it also makes sense that they were refer to a castor angle (angle projection on ground is mechanical trail) they created together, keeping in mind both arms create a castor angle, so both would always have to be the same arm style. Anyway, no point in arguing since we will never know the answer.