New pitcomplex of Spa

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
BMW.WilliamsF1 Fan

New pitcomplex of Spa

I got them from pitstop.tv:http://pitstoptv.belbone.be/nieuwsberic ... wsid=12482. the article is in dutch[/img]

Principessa

Looks cool! Hopefully it's al ready in time :wink:

Steven
Owner

Well if I'm not mistaken, that last corner before the finishline is also new.

Also, that new grandstand will, according the the images, replace a current stand. I suspect it will probably involve better working areas for the media people.

It's however not very clear to me where the pitlane entrance will be. Maybe the same place as today?

zac510

Yes, the busstop has been totally changed.

I don't know how they intend for those trucks to reverse off of the platform there doesn't appear to be enough space.

And judging by the colours of those trucks Ferrari will be coming 6th :D

Ciro Pabón

@Tomba: the pit entrance seems to be at the end of the horribly narrow chicane you mention, in the last photo posted. It is in the same position it is today.

I do not like the architecture of the pits: I find hard to understand the purpose of those white cones on the roof, identical to the ones that exist in the back stretch... are they the same?

However, I like the "second floor" parking for trucks, visible on the second photo. Maybe they could allow you to park your F-1 car in front of the podium. :wink:

Are there such high drops at the side of the track as the ones shown in the model? I know Spa is in a valley, but it seems an extremely dangerous drop (or a mistake in the model).

The last curve (the right hander part) on the chicane mentioned by Tomba seems to be four or five meters above the level of the two white roof "houses" or structures, on the foreground to the right. It seems that if a car goes off the track it will land on the roofs! The same drop seems to exist on the straight before the chicane. This could be a mistake of the model or simply an exageration of the topography. Look at the same curve (from the opposite direction) today:

Finally, if you google for "Spa racetrack renovations", you find the Wikipedia article on Spa. The link given in the Wikipedia article to find information on the renovations, points to an article in this forum. :D
Ciro

Tom

Looks expensive and it seems a shame to change that final flick, that was a great corner to watch and there was no reason to change, except perhaps the new pit entrance.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

fwa2500

Tom wrote:Looks expensive and it seems a shame to change that final flick, that was a great corner to watch and there was no reason to change, except perhaps the new pit entrance.
ya......no more battles flying down into La Source out of the old busstop.....

i also hate all the paved run-off......it really takes away the penalty for careless ness, instead of getting bogged down in the sand, you just turn back on course....not to mention how hidious it looks (see the Fuji Speedway to get my point)...it really kills the visual feeling of the track and can also confuse when at high speeds as it sort of blends with the actual track surface (the new Tilke designed version of Fuji is a prime example)....

Saribro

fwa2500 wrote:ya......no more battles flying down into La Source out of the old busstop.....
Huray for battles out of the new busstop then ? :p
According to wikipedia, busstop will move a bit earlier, and the hairpin a but further down, making the home straight longer. Without more information or better views/plans of the relayout, I find it hard to make conclusions.

DaveKillens

x
Last edited by DaveKillens on 02 Sep 2009, 05:10, edited 1 time in total.

must be designed by the same architect as the Antwerp Courthouse :lol: