POLL: Do you think voting on posts should be open to all?

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.

Do you think voting on posts should be open to all?

Yes.
15%
Not to new users, until after a certain time or number of posts.
23%
No, it's fine as is.
35%
No. Voting & Reputation should be removed completely.
27%

Total votes: 92

Richard

Re: POLL: Do you think voting on posts should be open to all

Posts such as this one have lost their vote ...
xpensive wrote:At this point Norby the Hutt barges in on the conversation;

"Can you alzo rremember who put you in zat stopid Irishman's car at Spa in 1991 and how we f*cked him ze same night, ja?"

rjsa

I got a vote for a smart a** post and then got it demoted. Perfectly fair IMHO. =D>

i70q7m7ghw

Which now means the mods are wasting time reading every post that gets voted =D>

It should just be open, it's self policing then in my opinion. The law of averages will prevail.

xpensive

richard_leeds wrote:Posts such as this one have lost their vote ...
So there it is in black and white, at the end of the day it's up to the mods to decide which posts are valuable or not? #-o
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

strad

Like I said all along.Get on their bad side and you're f--ked.
I said I thought it was stupid and unfair and I've seen nothing to change my mind.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

marcush.

:| To me the voting should help get a clearer picture of the credibility of the forum members -the voting is solely for the members and not a means of preference or punishing of members by the mods .At least that was my idea of it ..i have not tried to find the rules or who is entitled to downvote other than those who have those 25 upvotes.
the tools in hand for mods should be reprimand ,temporary suspended membership ,banning .
I ´m all for it to make this visible to all --wall of shame -maybe.
But I have difficulty to see x s credibility docked for his sense of humor .
Sorry to me it is VERY funny to read his posts and I find it hard to be robbed of it .
I´d say a thread like the Mercedes Abyss should not be valid for up and down votes really .It´s offtopic ..so there is no contribution in terms of technical items anyways.It´s a platform to release our frustration with Mercedes GP and their apparent inability to make up ground enough to justify all the expenses and effort.

strad

There will be no laughing here at F1Technical!! There is NO sense of humor here and none is allowed.
It's much that the pages be filled with altercations and endless attempts at self-aggrandizement. :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Richard

marcush. wrote:I´d say a thread like the Mercedes Abyss should not be valid for up and down votes really .It´s offtopic ..so there is no contribution in terms of technical items anyways.
Good point. Moved to off-topic.

Nando

Maybe increase the "you get to vote" bar from 1 star to 5 or 10?
Otherwise soon everyone will be able to vote and it kinda takes some away from it.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

megz

I was surprised to find that voting wasn't available to all users when I first noticed the change, but not at odds with the reasoning.

What I think it may hurt is users similar to myself with low post counts who generally lurk and only add comments when able to add something useful or to request information from those in the know and otherwise keep out of trouble. Due to the low post count I'm far less likely to receive votes but that doesn't mean my ability to judge another point or opinion as good or a waste of other forum members' time is effected. I'm on here at least once a day and have been for almost 5 and a half years. We've seen posters good and bad.

I like the idea of being able to reduce the amount of fangasm and conspiracy in threads through voting but as pointed out those who can vote are low in number. Regardless - the mods do a darn good job around here and if the voting doesn't work so well, means I have to skim read half of all threads, then so be it.

Nando

xpensive wrote:
So there it is in black and white, at the end of the day it's up to the mods to decide which posts are valuable or not? #-o
woah you probably lost 5-6 stars in one day ;)

And i would also love to see how you would classify your post as valuable..
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

SeijaKessen

Why even have voting?

It's idiotic at best and turns everything into a popularity contest.

Maybe it can be explained to me why everything in the Merc-Brawn topic got whacked, and I see plenty of posts that have no technical value at all of remaining with a plus 1. God forbid xpensive and I should express any sort of sense of humor around here.

Not for nothing, shouldn't the voting be about GOOD posts or someone making a point you agree with regardless of it being technical in nature?

Not everything has to be technical in nature to be qualified as a post worthy of being up-voted.

Or better yet, if this is still going to be subjective to what the moderators feel is a worthy post, then why are there posts in the other F1 tech forums (tires section) that are nothing more than one-liners getting upvoted and nothing is done about that?

I think the entire nature of the voting system while good in theory is not good in the long run.

As a long-standing member of another forum --10+ years-- we've never implemented such a thing because it would serve no purpose.

Caito

Haven't read all the thread. What I do know and feel is that the posts that have a relatively high amount of likes 10+ or so, are ussually worth reading. That, to me, indicates that the system is working. The fact that votes are not spreading in the hundreds is a good thing to me.

The fact that you need to get an upvote to vote seems like a good idea, it might encourage people.

---
SeijaKessen wrote:.....

Not for nothing, shouldn't the voting be about GOOD posts or someone making a point you agree with regardless of it being technical in nature?

Not everything has to be technical in nature to be qualified as a post worthy of being up-voted.

Or better yet, if this is still going to be subjective to what the moderators feel is a worthy post, then why are there posts in the other F1 tech forums (tires section) that are nothing more than one-liners getting upvoted and nothing is done about that?

I think the entire nature of the voting system while good in theory is not good in the long run.

As a long-standing member of another forum --10+ years-- we've never implemented such a thing because it would serve no purpose.
To me an upvote is something worth reading, not necessarily technical or whatever. A story as one of those like Ciro used to write would get upvotes even though it could be non technical.

Give the system a chance, let's see how it works. We can also try to educate forummers to use the system responsibly, since I believe that this forum has far more respect than I've seen in most others.

Mods want the best of it as we all do, if it doesn't work they will remove it.
Come back 747, we miss you!!

Shrieker

I got downvoted for calling alonso a horseface. So much for technicality.

So the next time I get an upvote, i'll just start upvoting remarks which praise Hamilton and downvote the ones which bash alonso, since it's the norm.

Same goes for everything i like/dislike. I think I haven't voted on anything without technical content (I'm not %100 sure on that though) so far, but the next time i'll just grab the opportunity since it looks like I've been doing a mistake.

[/rantover]
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Pierce89

xpensive wrote:
This is my problem with the current situation also. I had built a few points, but now I'm at 1 . Its totally arbitrary, but only for those in "power". Why should X lose points(or myself) because once a mod created a forum with a title that invited some humour, some people had fun joking around. Other people thought it was funny and entertaining, so they gave many upvotes. Alas, this offended the delicate sensibilities of a certain mod. Lo and behold, the mod that invited the joking to begin with, tears through there downvoting "bad" posts. Nice.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher