Quoted message

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Caito

Quoted message

Since some threads go way too fast, I believe it would be nice to get some notice when somebody quotes you. Maybe somebody asked a question or whatever and sometimes I just miss them because I never got to read that far back, or because it was a week later after I originally posted.

I know it's feasible, just don't know how hard it would be. Also if it's worth the effort. Is is just me.. or do you think it is a good idea too?
Come back 747, we miss you!!

N12ck

Re: Quoted message

I do think the idea has potential, because I have been accused before of ignoring posts back to me because it was pages and pages back, so it would be nice to say 'You have had a reply on the F2012 thread' or something into your inbox :D
Budding F1 Engineer

Cam

In your account preferences theres this option:

Board Preferences -> Edit Posting Defaults -> Notify me upon replies by default: Yes No.

What does that do? Is yours on or off and maybe can we test it?
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Jersey Tom

I like this idea.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Cam

For the Mods - try this -> http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=2119291

Edit: Actually - I think this is more what you're after. A method to display who has 'quoted' you on a post?

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=2098508

Or this seems to be a mod already setup to do something similar:

http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/who_quoted_me/
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

hollus

N12ck wrote:I do think the idea has potential, because I have been accused before of ignoring posts back to me because it was pages and pages back, so it would be nice to say 'You have had a reply on the F2012 thread' or something into your inbox :D
Do you mean that when you post in a thread, and days later you post again, you do not read all the posts in between?
Rivals, not enemies.

raymondu999

The forums at macrumors.com has a quote notification - I get a notification whenever someone quotes my message.

Also, I've seen another forum (admittedly vBulletin) that used an "@" function - just like Twitter, and it gives you a notification too.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Steven
Owner

Interesting idea.

The @ function like twitter is something I have been after for a while, but so far haven't seen a reliable implementation (and currently I'm prioritising other new things if I have to do it myself)

N12ck

hollus wrote:
N12ck wrote:I do think the idea has potential, because I have been accused before of ignoring posts back to me because it was pages and pages back, so it would be nice to say 'You have had a reply on the F2012 thread' or something into your inbox :D
Do you mean that when you post in a thread, and days later you post again, you do not read all the posts in between?
I do most of the time, but if its a rapidly developing thread and I am busy, I wont have time to read 10 pages of posts
Budding F1 Engineer

N12ck

Tomba wrote:Interesting idea.

The @ function like twitter is something I have been after for a while, but so far haven't seen a reliable implementation (and currently I'm prioritising other new things if I have to do it myself)
thats exactley what we need! :D
Budding F1 Engineer

hollus

N12ck wrote:
hollus wrote:
I do most of the time, but if its a rapidly developing thread and I am busy, I wont have time to read 10 pages of posts
But that is exactly how those threads get 10 pages of posts so quickly, and how the same arguments get repeated every 3 pages of those 10. Note also that replies and counterarguments won't necessarily include a quotation.
If a poster thinks his post deserves to be read by the others, one should give the same treatment to the other posters.
Rivals, not enemies.

N12ck

hollus wrote: But that is exactly how those threads get 10 pages of posts so quickly, and how the same arguments get repeated every 3 pages of those 10. Note also that replies and counterarguments won't necessarily include a quotation.
If a poster thinks his post deserves to be read by the others, one should give the same treatment to the other posters.
true, I do check normally, however there has been once or twice that I have missed a post back to myself (very rare) which is why it would be better if we had the @ system
Budding F1 Engineer

bcoxa

It’s more an issue with the one dimensional threads structure of current forums. I don’t know the solution but there has to be a better model than structuring threads purely based on time.

Although this is source control it’s the kind of things I'm thinking of, caters for the main thread, branches off topic and pure comments on the topic. Anything deemed relevant could then be committed to the main stream.

I'm not an engineer, just an experiment.

Cam

hollus wrote:...and how the same arguments get repeated every 3 pages of those 10. If a poster thinks his post deserves to be read by the others, one should give the same treatment to the other posters.
bcoxa wrote:Anything deemed relevant could then be committed to the main stream.
That's where the votes come in. Good posts get a vote - worthy of a read. Perhaps the mods and the down voting capable users need to be a bit harsher and -1 a bit more of the tripe. The posts are still there to be read, however they're hidden so as not to add unwanted non-relevant information.

Having a method to see just who's quoted you probably takes away from the overall experience. Although I can understand having a filter to see that, the whole point of a forum is to read the entire discussion and participate. I can't help but feel some people will mainly use only this and skip the rest, leading to stupid questions and/or comments simply because they haven't taken the time to absorb the entire thread.

Edit: Typos
― Socrates