POLL: Do you think voting on posts should be open to all?

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.

Do you think voting on posts should be open to all?

Yes.
15%
Not to new users, until after a certain time or number of posts.
23%
No, it's fine as is.
35%
No. Voting & Reputation should be removed completely.
27%

Total votes: 92

mx_tifoso

Re: POLL: Do you think voting on posts should be open to all

This was the post that was upvoted and downvoted, as a direct result of Raymond calling me "darling". :lol:

viewtopic.php?p=364247#p364247
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

=P~

So that's how you get higher votes!!
More could have been done.
David Purley

SeijaKessen

Cam wrote:@SeijaKessen - you're still trying to ask for a democratic and balanced system in a Forum which is not. I understand where you're coming from, but what you complain about is a moot point. Also, trying to compare your votes against someone else's is also moot - no matter how unfair or one-sided you believe it to be. It's list trying to figure out why the guy who started after you got a promotion - you'll have your views but will never really know. Maybe you're right, maybe your wrong. You can't change it, so just concentrate on what you can achieve and do that really well.

From time to time, I do look at the reputation changes for some people, just to see what kind of posts get up voted and there is a clear pattern. It's not 100%, but it is clear enough. No system is perfect and I'm sure the mods discuss this system between each other. Look at the highest rated people and tell me they are not really knowledgeable and have contributed great information.

Just do the same and you 'may' get a vote up. You have to be in the zone to attempt a touch down.
If I were in fact asking for a democratic system, I would be asking that every upvote be considered by the community as a whole, which rest assured, I most certainly am not.

I don't view this akin to a promotion at work in the manner you described.

While I do appreciate the sentiment behind such a voting system, I think it is largely pointless. You could figure out the quality posters without it, so I'm not sure why such a thing needs to be done. Every message board I have posted on over the years, you can easily discern who the quality posters are without a voting system being in place.

rjsa

It get's me wondering why so much bitching about this.

From where I look it works quite nice. I'm refraining from adding smart ass coments and taking a more time to compose the posts.

I'm far away from being a pop star from my score and have no budies pushing me up, I'm just glad to add positive contribution.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

rjsa wrote:It get's me wondering why so much bitching....and have no budies pushing me up
So you noticed the glaring flaw then? :wink:
David Purley

rjsa

Oh I think it wil go away. The whole thing is too new and the counts too low. On the long term these maneuvers should matter no more. That's how I see it will unfold.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

rjsa wrote:Oh I think it wil go away. The whole thing is too new and the counts too low. On the long term these maneuvers should matter no more. That's how I see it will unfold.
I think it will persist. And not only that, but lead to a fractious forum. I haven't seen the pattern of votes but I'm very certain it's happening. Could the mods show such things? :twisted:
David Purley

Richard

I'm slightly underwhelming as far as evil dictators are concerned. Mods don't have super powers on this, we only have one up or down vote. :?

xpensive

richard_leeds wrote:I'm slightly underwhelming as far as evil dictators are concerned. Mods don't have super powers on this, we only have one up or down vote. :?
Ah, just like when I lost five votes within a minute the other night, must have been five busy mods I guess?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

marcush.

Maybe Charlie Whiting is policing the voting system???? :wtf: :wtf:

SeijaKessen

xpensive wrote:
richard_leeds wrote:I'm slightly underwhelming as far as evil dictators are concerned. Mods don't have super powers on this, we only have one up or down vote. :?
Ah, just like when I lost five votes within a minute the other night, must have been five busy mods I guess?
I lost 7.

You know, the sad thing is I almost upvoted your post, but I didn't want to anger anyone.

marcush.

ANY CLARIFICATION?

beelsebob

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:@beelsebob

It's not my place to point out, but your last few posts on this thread appear to have been written on some god like pedestal.
X has his moments when it comes to being mischievous, but as technical poster, he has you licked.
I don't mean this as nasty, but I clicked on your name, and found you post mainly in the GP threads. There be the place near totally devoid of technical discussion! I cant Click on the "vote history" icon, sadly. But will it show me these 20 posts of yours that where deemed technically useful? It's an observation, and one not intended to insult, but for perspective as some people have more polarised opinions, and are then subject to more downvotes, even if they are a more technical poster.
Sorry if I'm sounding like I'm on a pedestal on this, but I have some experience with running online forums/games/all kinds of things, and this thread smacks of nothing more than a bunch of people on the internet whining because, you know... people on the internet like to whine about stuff.

strad

Anyone who has ever run an online service will understand where the mods are on this
I have run sites,,I have been a Mod on others...NEVER have I seen the need to tamper with a forum on a constant and intrusive manner.
Government that does the least works the best.
There is only a need for about 1/100 the moderating that goes on here.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

SeijaKessen

strad wrote:
Anyone who has ever run an online service will understand where the mods are on this
I have run sites,,I have been a Mod on others...NEVER have I seen the need to tamper with a forum on a constant and intrusive manner.
Government that does the least works the best.
There is only a need for about 1/100 the moderating that goes on here.
Whoops...almost upvoted that too.

I upvoted you in spirit strad, I hope that means something.