My F1 car - LegendaryM

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CottrellGP

Re: My F1 car - LegendaryM

Hey LegendaryM when are you going to be updating ? :D
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

LegendaryM

A quick update, i've been very busy lately with Ucas and other things, and i actually did this update a while ago. It's the nose and front wing of the 2012 car, the front wing is not completely finished aswell.

MRVC: Tolo Racing

shelly

Nice work! What CAD do you use for it?
twitter: @armchair_aero

aleks_ader

shelly wrote:Nice work! What CAD do you use for it?
Depend on the picture that is Pro Engieneer Wildfire 3.0/4.0/5.0?
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Tozza Mazza

LegendaryM wrote:A quick update, I've been very busy lately with Ucas and other things, and i actually did this update a while ago. It's the nose and front wing of the 2012 car, the front wing is not completely finished aswell.
Just applied myself, busy times, got one offer already though!

Looking fantastic dude, loving the front wing design, however, I think the nose cone may be illegal.

At the Front Chassis bulkhead, no point can be over 550mm above the reference plane.
If it meets this, I apologize!!!

Really looking forward to seeing the whole thing!

To the question about software, I'm fairly sure it's solidworks.

jusho

did you guys use the FIA dimensions for the design.

LegendaryM

So the 2012 car, albeit rather late:
The new car is designed completely from scratch, which is the main reason it has taken so long. No parts are carried over from last year.

Starting at the front, the front wing is a development of the one a posted in December.
Its a fairly conventional front wing, and i plan to update it soon, but its also the first front wing ive made which fully complies with 3.75 and 3.4.2, which relates to thickness in the outer section of the wing.

Ive copied williams/sauber and have incorporated the brake ducts into the blade. The lower front suspension also mounts onto the wheel higher to reduce blockage from the front wing

The sidepods are more conventional on this car, although i think the old ones where unrealistically small. There is a cooling exit on top of the sidepods. I plan to update the pod-vane by making it curve over the top of the sidepod like sauber.

Although the front of the floor is not in any way revolutionary, it is much more refined than previous designs I have done, especially where the leading edge meets the splitter.

The airbox is conventional, with a fairly large undercut. This is the first car ive designed which fully complies with 3.8.4; a minimum 75mm radius is maintained all over the areas needed, whereas on the old car sometimes i had to reduce it to 50mm

The exhaust exits as far forward as possible and quite wide out. I designed the exhaust position after doing the sidepods as i dont think compromising the airflow to the rear of the car as much as sauber is worth it. That said, the exhaust is aimed to blow towards the area inside of the rear of the tyre, although i would have to do cfd to see if it actually was.

I have also incorporated the rear brake ducts into the blade. I have added alot of winglets onto the rear of the brake duct and the top rear suspension members are at a much more realistic angle. The drive shaft is also at a less extreme angle, although the rear of the car is still very low

Here you can see how low the rear impact structure is to get the best possible flow under the beam wing, and the second cooling exit. I have incorporated the a limited ddrs into the car, though at the moment it only stalls the beam wing

The rear wing is fairly conventional, ive copied ferrari style cutouts. You can also see how thick the rear wing endplate is to house the tubing for the ddrs

The diffuser is not radical, but refined in my opinion. It exits partly to the side in a similar fashion to lotus. I also have a small cutout in front of the rear wheels which i also had last year. I dont have a hole for the gearbox starter hole yet ala red bull as i plan to do something involving the ddrs in this area.

The main innovation/ trick on the car is the last bit of the exhausts.
5.8.3 states that the last 100mm of the tailpipe must have a maximum diameter of 75mm and point at least 10 degrees upwards. This is problematic as I want the exhaust gases to go downwards. What' ive done is nozzle the exhaust before the last 100mm and make it horizontal so the exhaust gases should exit horizontally and not 10 degrees upwards, making it easy for the downwash effect to work
Side view:
Rear view:

MRVC: Tolo Racing

MIKEY_!

Great job, truly a masterpiece! Do you know what the benefits are of using those cutouts in the rear wing flap? Very clever exhaust solution as well, so simple but i suspect very effective. It was well worth the wait. =D> =D>

Cuky

wow!! I like the amount of details you put in on your car.

Only thing is, I didn't really get what you are trying to achieve with this kind of exhaust pipe.

RicME85

I would assume he was trying to achieve something like this

Holm86

Looks fantastic. I really envy you guys who are able to draw those cars :)

And great idea with that exhaust :)

PlatinumZealot

You are pretty good. What modelling method do you use? block modelling or surface modelling?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Tozza Mazza

This one is crazy good.

astracrazy

Holm86 wrote:Looks fantastic. I really envy you guys who are able to draw those cars :)

And great idea with that exhaust :)
ye me to. I've tried so many times, just can't get the body right at all

cdsavage

Are you by any chance using NX, or are you still using Solid Edge?