Setup Sheets

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
MadMatt

Re: Setup Sheets

Thanks a lot everybody for these nice documents ! Very interesting data ! :)

ubrben

olefud wrote:...

3) They call for floor flexibility test and tyre weight. Is tyre weight a wear measurement?
I'm not sure here, speculating, but it should be related to grain and blistering - to what extent the tire degradation and potentially the pieces that would fall off will affect the total wear of the tire. This is related to floor flexibility, because rules changed, and the deflection tolerance is smaller.

[/quote]

Just speculating; but could tyre weight be vehicle weight at the tire? Uneven tyre weights while probably not desired would also crank a bending load into the floor.[/quote]

Are we sure the tyre weight and floor flex test have anything to do with each other.

Just looks to me like that's two (unrelated?) things to do along with presumably a set-down. Floor flex test for legality and then tyre weight to look at tyre wear.

Like I said no reason to suggest they're linked.

Ben

olefud

I certainly don’t know. It seems that using the new tire (and wheel?) as the tare weight and measuring the weight loss for wear is rather awkward. With all the rubber and other debris that gets picked up, it would be a slow process to scrap things down before determining wear. Wear indicators on the tire can be measured immediately.

If, after adjustments are made, a wheel is carrying more weight, this will feed stress into the chassis and could flag a resulting strain in the floor –assuming the floor is stressed.

This is obviously speculation of the whole cloth variety on my part.

bigpat

That Renault sheet is so informative!!!!!

The amount of castor is staggering at 12 degrees. Looking at this, and the static ride heights shows how "mechanical" today's cars are, rather than solid aero platforms. You can see how much they roll in corners, unlike the 2000's.....

I'm comparing this to flat bottom F3000's, where we had 20 & 45mm ride heights, and between 4-8 degrees of castor. We actually took castor out at high speed tracks to reduce the jacking force of the inside wheel, as we ran monoshock front ends.

The number of dampers and springs show just how much movement the cars have, which means you can employ means to control it. Roll dampers are interesting, whether they are a standard, or an inertial damper....

Forza

A bit older data sheets & Fia legality check for comparison with modern F1. They were already posted by @timbo and discussed in this Thread F1 setups. Thanks to benjabulle from TGF.

Prost Peugeot AP03
Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari Imola

Prost AP04 Acer-Ferrari
Barcelona