Its been a while since my last update, there has been a bit of a pause whilst we are getting some more much needed funds together. It looks like a race car we've had up for sale for a while is now finally moving on to a new owner. The proceeds from this sale will enable us to get a move on, and hopefully finish the project.
We have now found a working gearbox solution, which is somewhat different to the original plans. When I have some further development and photos of this, I will post it here.
Meanwhile, Racecar Engineering have finally published the first of four consecutive articles in the Aerobytes
section of the magazine. It was back in February this year we went to MIRA for a windtunnel test, and the first of the four articles are in the November issue, which came through the door today. I promised the magazine editor not to upload anything prior to the publication, but as the mag is now on the street, I am free to post my photos and video.
Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fan6s/sets ... 719672043/
Here's a little video from the session. Quite rare to see footage of a full scale GP car in a wind tunnel. Apologies for the at times unstable camera. It was really tricky to stand still, even at relatively low speeds, 30-35 MPH. Any faster, and it would swept us away.....The fans in this tunnel maxed out at 80 MPH, not the most powerful of windtunnels, but enough to uproot large old oaktrees!
Many thanks to Simon McBeath, a brilliant aerodynamisist. We learned so much about the car from this session.