How is the forum rating system doing?

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Steven
Owner

Re: How is the forum rating system doing?

adam2003 wrote:Hi why have you changed my font back to black? It gives you the option to change it on here, you would have disabled it otherwise?

Also I understand what you are saying. But I want to vote on people who give good information. Unfortunately I am not very technical so no one will ever give me a +1 unless i crack a joke. Just feel im being left out
Adam, cracking a joke will not lead to a +1, at least it should not be given the intention of the rating system
Secondly, font colours and bold are helpful to put focus on some words, but when you colour your entire post, it's useless
Third, posts also get rated for being correct and helpful. If someone asks something and one can help with the relevant extract of the regulations, than that would be considered helpful and will likely get rated by someone. It's a matter of helping each other.

adam2003

Tomba wrote:
adam2003 wrote:Hi why have you changed my font back to black? It gives you the option to change it on here, you would have disabled it otherwise?

Also I understand what you are saying. But I want to vote on people who give good information. Unfortunately I am not very technical so no one will ever give me a +1 unless i crack a joke. Just feel im being left out
Adam, cracking a joke will not lead to a +1, at least it should not be given the intention of the rating system
Secondly, font colours and bold are helpful to put focus on some words, but when you colour your entire post, it's useless
Third, posts also get rated for being correct and helpful. If someone asks something and one can help with the relevant extract of the regulations, than that would be considered helpful and will likely get rated by someone. It's a matter of helping each other.
Thats the point the system only works if people can be bothered to vote for their help/information they have been given. You could give fantastic posts but nobody can be bothered to vote for you its a pointless system.
You cant force people to vote can you no matter how good information is

Anyway leave it at that i have no more i wish to add

Thanks

zonk

My idea to get up voted would be reporting off topics.

mx_tifoso

Zonk, you think that we would up vote you because you reported an off topic post? :?

And Adam, on the contrary, if you make a lame joke in a technical thread you just might end up getting downvoted. This has been very prevalent and it's very in line with the intended use of the system.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

zonk

:idea: I though that could be a way to earn reputation for the less technical members.by helping mods

Dragonfly

My impression (not necessarily correct) is that most of the votes of many people here are for posts way too far from pure technical.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

zonk

Indeed

Steven
Owner

Dragonfly wrote:My impression (not necessarily correct) is that most of the votes of many people here are for posts way too far from pure technical.
Which is why voting is now disabled in race threads.

Also, it doesn't have to be purely technical. Posts that are factual, correct and informative can be rated as well.

zonk

Team threads should too (mercedes);)

WhiteBlue

zonk wrote:Team threads should too (mercedes);)
I have supported that move for a long time. The team threads are not technical nevertheless they probably add the bulk of reputation points for very many people with huge reputation scores. When you look where they got this rep you find it is mainly for sympathy in discussions that do not meet the criteria of f1technical. People who easily got a reputation score that way then use it frivolously to down vote proper content.
Team threads should be treated exactly the same way as race threads and certainly any thread that is by nature not adding value to the site. I'm talking about the endless threads where people only discuss the merits of certain drivers over others. If f1technical wants to promote such discussions by offering reputation it would not promote the purpose of this site. Fanbois can still have discussions of the greatness of their heroes but they should not be rewarded for it.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

adam2003

WhiteBlue wrote:
I have supported that move for a long time. The team threads are not technical nevertheless they probably add the bulk of reputation points for very many people with huge reputation scores. When you look where they got this rep you find it is mainly for sympathy in discussions that do not meet the criteria of f1technical. People who easily got a reputation score that way then use it frivolously to down vote proper content.
Team threads should be treated exactly the same way as race threads and certainly any thread that is by nature not adding value to the site. I'm talking about the endless threads where people only discuss the merits of certain drivers over others. If f1technical wants to promote such discussions by offering reputation it would not promote the purpose of this site. Fanbois can still have discussions of the greatness of their heroes but they should not be rewarded for it.
Couldn't agree more mate

WhiteBlue

Where do we currently stand on down vote privileges? Is it still 25 points?
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

tok-tokkie

I too would like the team threads to be excluded from the scoring. They do however serve the very useful purpose of being a place for the fanboys to congregate so the technical threads are spared their inane posts.

Dragonfly

This rating system is actually inviting the fan-boys.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

WhiteBlue

Dragonfly wrote:This rating system is actually inviting the fan-boys.
If you have exploited the race threads and the team threads and you are a mindless fan boy with little technical knowledge and interest you can have easily 60-80 reputation points. There are enough people around to prove my opinion. And those people have no problems whatsoever to abuse their negative voting powers. I have been down voted often enough simply for unpopular opinions to know that. The system is not meant to down vote opinions that you don't like. It is meant to judge the quality of the postings. I invite all of you to check the posts that I have made and that were down voted. I bet it is hard to justify two or three of the down votes let alone the 35 down votes that I have received. It shows the reputation system is a simple popularity contest and not the quality system that it was meant to be. If it were about quality I could easily have 60 points even with my short participation here. I have been away from F1technical because I had disagreements with the way the forums are moderated. I have not noted that the reputation system has re attracted some of the more valuable technical posters that we have lost over the years. So clearly it has failed to do the main thing that it was supposed to do.