Overtaking in 2012: statistics and analysis

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
bhall

Re: Overtaking in 2012: statistics and analysis

mbvinnie wrote:I agree that they are not definitive, and I have said several times that we can really only take some broad generalizations, but the analysis is kinda fun and interesting, and there is some limited usefulness. I agree that there is some bias, so let's look at how we can improve it rather than dismissing it.

I couldn't agree more about the 'correlation not equaling causation' thing. That's essentially my job is.
But that doesn't mean statistics can always be dismissed, or
Sometimes things are so inherently flawed that they can't be improved. You've just got to blow 'em up and start fresh. I believe this to be one of those cases.

The original data itself is flawed, and it just goes downhill from there. The "analyst" appears to be aware of that, which is why my questions concerning a justification for the many lapses of objectivity contained within his "analysis" remain unanswered. Instead, he obfuscates the issue entirely with things that have nothing at all to do with the discussion.

See?
mnmracer wrote:Ok, so be a doll and say, list the youngest drivers to take pole, win a race, win championships etc.
And then see how you feel about yourself for quoting simple facts.

The fact you want to find bias behind everything that doesn't fit your agenda, is your problem.

Nando

mnmracer wrote:Really?
Show me, where did I say something factually untrue?
The whole first post is a lie because it does not represent the truth on actual overtakes this season.
It only displays cherry picked overtakes.

I can play this game as well.

Alonso is world champ this year
- what?
- Yea we can´t count the races where the Ferrari was a dog, obviously..
- no no you have to count all the races....
- no i don´t, my friends company did their own study and they have the same results as me.
- ehhh....

Edit: naaww someone is actively trying to make sure i get no thumbs up. Now that´s sad.
Had it been neutral nothign would have happened but since it was upped, something had to be done.. sad.
Last edited by Nando on 02 Dec 2012, 20:54, edited 1 time in total.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Nando

mnmracer wrote: Those charts show that Hülkenberg overtook Alonso in lap 5.
It doesn't show that Nico overtook while Fernando was off-roading.
Ergo, not a valid source.
Do you only read your own stuff?

I said you can use it to check where position changes happend then watch the race.

mbvinnie

bhallg2k wrote: Sometimes things are so inherently flawed that they can't be improved. You've just got to blow 'em up and start fresh. I believe this to be one of those cases.
I agree that the original poster is biased and his subsequent posts/analysis are flawed.
However I don't agree that the data is so inherently flawed that it can't be improved or that it has absolutely no meaning. Happy to disagree on this.

bhall

And that works for me, too. :)

Cylinder

mbvinnie wrote:
bhallg2k wrote: Sometimes things are so inherently flawed that they can't be improved. You've just got to blow 'em up and start fresh. I believe this to be one of those cases.
I agree that the original poster is biased and his subsequent posts/analysis are flawed..
Thats good enough for me, Im done with this thread.

Infact id go as far as to say the original poster himself is flawed, not just the analysis. :lol:

PlatinumZealot

mnmracer wrote:
Nando wrote:Could you list the people Vettel overtook on track in Abu-Dhabi?
Could you list the people Alonso overtook on track in Valencia?

It's sad how you can't go one topic without an agenda as you know the answer to said question.
These are the numbers and the context. Take it or leave it.
If you're not someone that thinks it's interesting, there's no one forcing you to read (or comment).
MnM.. Are you bipolar? :lol: You must have two personalities under those shades. Because looking at the part in bold, this thread is exactly that.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Nando

That´s the word i was looking for! Thanks! :)

Richard

*Sigh*

This went wrong on page 1