Caterham F1 Team 2013

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Leendert82

Re: Caterham F1 Team 2013

Gascone sais that Kovaleinen did not show repect to Caterham in 2012 and therefore has probably no seat for 2013. Do you guys agree?

raymondu999

From the short term view, I agree. Heikki is driving a car and being paid for it. He's driving probably the best of the worst 3 cars, making him look good, because he practically has only 5 (realistically, 3) competitors to fight for what can be considered a "Group victory" - ie making him the LMP2 winner in LeMans.

But on the flipside - looking at the history since 2010, and the promises made by Fernandes (which you have to say Kovalainen, somewhat understandably naive to this point, believed) and about having a long term plan of something like winning their first GP in their 5th year - is probably more guilty of this.

Either way, in hindsight, both were guilty of underestimating the task ahead back then. Both are probably frustrated, somewhat understandably so. Heikki for the team not filling up to their extravagant promises; Caterham that Heikki is frustrated though they would probably be doing their best. To Caterham, Heikki's attitude could make them uneasy, because they are trying their best, most probably. It's just that they overestimated themselves.

Difference is Heikki has only one mouth, Caterham many. Heikki can't badmouth a team, as it burns a bridge and makes a commitment to pass the point of no return, which would mean he would never return to Caterham, and could mean no F1 seat. With the politically correct climate of current day F1, Heikki's demand would dwindle - while there is forever a young hotshot driver looking to enter F1.

Both are justified concerns, in a way. I can understand why there is mutual frustration. IMO it's that no understanding is communicated between the two parties. The rapport that Heikki has built over the last three years seems to have faded, judging from Gascoyne's comments. To a point - Heikki will have to weigh up what's the better option - potentially leaving F1 but recharging away from an atmosphere which seems to be negatively charged towards him, or to stay driving, but in an unhappy working environment.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

PlatinumZealot

I personally believe petrov is the better choice. Just as good as heikki but with money and future oportunies when f1 goes to Russia.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

CHT
CHT

n smikle wrote:I personally believe petrov is the better choice. Just as good as heikki but with money and future oportunies when f1 goes to Russia.
Petrov claim that their negotiation with Caterham has stalled.

I am not sure what they are trying to hint here. Restructuring?
"At the moment there are a lot of unanswered questions," Kosachenko is quoted as saying by R-Sport. "There are too many nuances that need to be sorted out. We're at the waiting stage, which is linked to the team's restructuring. We completely depend on them and can't speed anything up."

Leendert82

CHT wrote:
n smikle wrote:I personally believe petrov is the better choice. Just as good as heikki but with money and future oportunies when f1 goes to Russia.
Petrov claim that their negotiation with Caterham has stalled.

I am not sure what they are trying to hint here. Restructuring?
"At the moment there are a lot of unanswered questions," Kosachenko is quoted as saying by R-Sport. "There are too many nuances that need to be sorted out. We're at the waiting stage, which is linked to the team's restructuring. We completely depend on them and can't speed anything up."
Petrov has apparently the lowest budget in sponsership compared to Giedo van der Garde, Bruno Senna and Luiz Razia. He is still looking for more sponsership, however its not easy to find at the moment.
Gascoine already mentioned in an interview that Caterham is looking for a young talent...
Senna at 29 is not a young talent anymore.
v.d Garde is 27 not driven in F1 before so can be considered as a talent in F1 terms, and has sponsership.
Luiz Razia is 23 is young and a talent, but does he has the backing of sponsership? not too sure about that.

KATO

Senna has more talent and money then Petrov I feel. So between then I don't think I could chose Petrov even if I liked him. However Luis Raiza Vs Senna or anyone else... Might have a chance if they are looking for a young talent..
"Suddenly I realised that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension."
__Ayrton Senna

Leendert82

KATO wrote:Senna has more talent and money then Petrov I feel. So between then I don't think I could chose Petrov even if I liked him. However Luis Raiza Vs Senna or anyone else... Might have a chance if they are looking for a young talent..
Reason for Caterham to chose for Petrov over Senna would be because he has driven there last season and therefore knows the team.

stefan_

Caterham to launch its 2013 Formula 1 car just before first test
Caterham will unveil its 2013 car at the Jerez circuit in Spain shortly before the start of pre-season Formula 1 testing.

The Leafield-based outfit announced on Monday that the CT03 - the first car to have been produced at its new factory – will be revealed in the pitlane just minutes before it is due to hit the track for the first time.

Charles Pic is the only confirmed driver for the team so far, with the outfit still considering its options for the second seat.

Bruno Senna, Vitaly Petrov and Luiz Razia are believed to be the leading contenders for the vacancy, which is one of three remaining in F1 for the 2013 campaign.

Marussia and Force India still have to finalise their line-ups.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

bill shoe

Heikki was already unlikely to retain his Caterham seat, but now that Marussia has confirmed they'll do two pay drivers there is absolutely no reason for Caterham to keep him. I would think the remaning seat at each team will go to the high bidder.

Actually, it would make sense if those two teams had done their own "RRA" of sorts, where they agreed to only take pay-drivers. It's conceivable that Caterham even paid a bit of Timo Glock's exit fee from Marussia. Regardless of that conjecture, it seems likely that the two "new" teams agreed to not compete with each other on drivers.

Interesting trend overall. At the front of the grid, increasingly equal cars actually increase the value of driver speed (I think McLaren doesn't understand this yet). In contrast, at the rear of the grid, there is apparent consensus that driver speed is irrelevant compared to money.

Neno

it would be good for everyone if caterham and marussia quit f1, this type of behavior and culture is unforgivable in highest motosport competition.
This behavior will contribute to the breakdown of Formula 1 as we know it. for couple of years, talented drivers will wait their chance and fight for 3rd seat, and couple of untalented idiots, for their fun and hobby will drive f1 because they are loaded with money.

CHT
CHT

Neno wrote:it would be good for everyone if caterham and marussia quit f1, this type of behavior and culture is unforgivable in highest motosport competition.
This behavior will contribute to the breakdown of Formula 1 as we know it. for couple of years, talented drivers will wait their chance and fight for 3rd seat, and couple of untalented idiots, for their fun and hobby will drive f1 because they are loaded with money.
I can fully understand Marussia position as they have lost 10th place last season. As for caterham, they got Charles Pic money, they got the 10th place prize money, and now they are going to stop paying driver salary??

Looks like the team is financially very tight.

Leendert82

CHT wrote:
Neno wrote:it would be good for everyone if caterham and marussia quit f1, this type of behavior and culture is unforgivable in highest motosport competition.
I can fully understand Marussia position as they have lost 10th place last season. As for caterham, they got Charles Pic money, they got the 10th place prize money, and now they are going to stop paying driver salary??

Every team get paid drivers, is that not why McLaran signed Perez? Are they also a tight team?
Almost every driver comes with sponsor ship even the top drivers like Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel.

beelsebob

Leendert82 wrote:
CHT wrote:

Every team get paid drivers, is that not why McLaran signed Perez? Are they also a tight team?
No, Perez is being paid by McLaren. It's also likely that his sponsors will have to leave, due to conflicts with McLaren's existing sponsors.
Almost every driver comes with sponsor ship even the top drivers like Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel.
Actually, while Hamilton was at McLaren he was banned from having his own sponsors. This was one of the things he's stated he considered better about Merc's offer – he could get his own.

turbof1

Leendert82 wrote:
CHT wrote:

I don't think Ferrari gets more sponsor money from Santander then they have to pay Alonso on salary. Santander is only title sponsor in name; the biggest sponsor isn't one from the drivers. Philip Morris International is. Just saying; Ferrari didn't took Alonso for the sponsors he bought. Perez the same: McLaren only needed a driver to replace Perez; they can happily life without the support from Telmex. IMO, a pay driver is somebody who depends on his financial backing to get into a team.
#AeroFrodo

raymondu999

bill shoe wrote:Interesting trend overall. At the front of the grid, increasingly equal cars actually increase the value of driver speed (I think McLaren doesn't understand this yet). In contrast, at the rear of the grid, there is apparent consensus that driver speed is irrelevant compared to money.
The cars at the rear, to be fair - are less "equal" than the cars at the front of the field. Hence that money is worth more to them in development, etc than driver speed.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法