Caterham F1 Team 2013

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
bill shoe

Re: Caterham F1 Team 2013

@raymondu999--> Interesting. You imply that if a team has spent little money on the car then they can get a lot of car speed with an extra $1 million, but a big team might struggle to get any extra speed from an extra $1 million. Classic diminishing returns. But I think the same thing applies to driver speed. A backmarker team can probably get a big speed gain merely by going from a crappy pay driver with a monster budget (Charles Pic) to a slightly less-well funded but more skilled pay driver (Senna or Petrov). In contrast, at the front of the grid if you currently pay your best driver $15 million per year then it's not clear that you'll get a better driver in the long run by offering $20 million. I think diminishing returns applies to drivers, so backmarker teams actually get relatively big bang for the buck with drivers as well.

Yes all this theory is probably irrelevant and the teams are doing what they have to for survival. I'm glad they're still around.

Lurk

bill shoe wrote:a crappy pay driver with a monster budget (Charles Pic)
Pic a crappy driver? You must be kidding. He was as fast as Glock for his first season and is better seen than Grosjean. Even Total switch their bet to him.

CHT
CHT

Lurk wrote:
bill shoe wrote:a crappy pay driver with a monster budget (Charles Pic)
Pic a crappy driver? You must be kidding. He was as fast as Glock for his first season and is better seen than Grosjean. Even Total switch their bet to him.
Now that Caterham has got rid of both their drivers, we will never know how quick Pic is relative to Petrov or Heikki.

NathanOlder

So when do we find out driver 2? have they set a date ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Woool2580

B. Senna is the new Caterham racer, official announcement comes out soon.

Official website B.Senna went into construction

Caterham removed the Russian sponsorship of your site!

Petrov will be confirmed by Marussia, and runs until 2014.

Questions? :D

bill shoe

Lurk wrote:Pic a crappy driver? You must be kidding. He was as fast as Glock for his first season and is better seen than Grosjean. Even Total switch their bet to him.
OK, I may be mistaken about how slow he is. I wasn't paying attention to qualy times at the back of the grid and if he outperformed Glock then congrats to him. I'm confortable suggesting he's still not one of the fastest 22 F1 drivers in the world. I remember him floundering around GP2 for a while until the faster drivers graduated.

It would be an interesting exercise for me to list the 22 best (current) F1 drivers regardless of financial backing. Or for anyone else to do the same.

Leendert82

Woool2580 wrote:B. Senna is the new Caterham racer, official announcement comes out soon.

Senna has to upgrade his site because he cant put the Williams sponsor up anymore. (He could also go to Marrusia)
Petrovs sponsors are end of contract, Caterham does not receive money from it anymore and therefore removes it.

Therefore, this does not proof amything.

NathanOlder

Leendert82 wrote:
Woool2580 wrote:B. Senna is the new Caterham racer, official announcement comes out soon.

Senna has to upgrade his site because he cant put the Williams sponsor up anymore. (He could also go to Marrusia)
Petrovs sponsors are end of contract, Caterham does not receive money from it anymore and therefore removes it.

Therefore, this does not proof amything.

I hope he is right though.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Woool2580

Photo posted on facebook of caterham

Leendert82

Woool2580 wrote:Photo posted on facebook of caterham
nicely photoshopped
Last edited by Richard on 28 Jan 2013, 16:24, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed image quoted from post above

Mika1

Van der Garde will drive for Caterham. Dutch NOS news reported that. He will give a press conference today.
The boss follows me on twitter.

pluisje

Caterham just twitterd a picture of a filled pressroom in Amsterdam: http://pic.twitter.com/2Wva2k2Y

And confirmation: http://pic.twitter.com/uOn1oRsY

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/02/01/g ... ms-lineup/

fritticaldi

Great news and well deserved for Dutchman, Giedo van der Garde.

KATO

bill shoe wrote:@raymondu999--> Interesting. You imply that if a team has spent little money on the car then they can get a lot of car speed with an extra $1 million, but a big team might struggle to get any extra speed from an extra $1 million. Classic diminishing returns. But I think the same thing applies to driver speed. A backmarker team can probably get a big speed gain merely by going from a crappy pay driver with a monster budget (Charles Pic) to a slightly less-well funded but more skilled pay driver (Senna or Petrov). In contrast, at the front of the grid if you currently pay your best driver $15 million per year then it's not clear that you'll get a better driver in the long run by offering $20 million. I think diminishing returns applies to drivers, so backmarker teams actually get relatively big bang for the buck with drivers as well.

Yes all this theory is probably irrelevant and the teams are doing what they have to for survival. I'm glad they're still around.
I think more the a budget they need to focus more on craftsmanship look at the Swiss the C-31 was simple extremely effective and well crafted.. Not a team with a huge budget...

But yes the driver plays a huge rol put it simple if yore drivers can take the car around the track smoother but with certain speed yore tire degradation will decrease compared to a less skilled driver in the same car and simple logic dictates you would gain more speed with better drivers.. I agree completely..
"Suddenly I realised that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension."
__Ayrton Senna

xDama

fritticaldi wrote:Great news and well deserved for Dutchman, Giedo van der Garde.
You have to be joking, right? What on earth did he do to deserve a drive, besides some scruffy FP-sessions? The only thing that got him that seat, is his sponsor money. Caterham has sunk real low to be honest. They started out good in 2010, but went slowly downhill. Last year was quite the disaster, and I predict 2013 will be even worse, especially with VDG.
"I race to win, and if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver." - Ayrton Senna