22 best (current) F1 drivers

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
bill shoe

22 best (current) F1 drivers

If money played no role, only talent, who would race F1 in 2013?

A's-
Hamilton
Vettel
Alonso

B's-
Raikkonen
Webber
Button
Rosberg
Schumacher

C's
Hulkenberg
Sutil
Massa
Kovelinen
Juan Pablo Montoya (higher level with better fitness and focus)
Grosjean

D's
Di Resta
Robin Frijns (potential to move up)
Jules Bianchi (potential to move up)
Buemi
Bottas
Perez
Gary Paffet
Sebastien Bourdais

Didn't make cut but almost-
Petrov
Alguuersuari
Kobayashi
Maldonado
Ricciardo

OK, there's 22 that made the cut. Don't worry about the exact level. If you add one to the list then you have to remove one. I think I'm missing too many non-F1 drivers such as DTM, Sports Cars, etc.

Just_a_fan

Re: 22 best (current) F1 drivers

To be honest, any world champion must be in the A group. Even the dubious one like Button.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

wesley123

Just_a_fan wrote:To be honest, any world champion must be in the A group. Even the dubious one like Button.
I dont think so. The group A of what bill shoe posted are those that are simply the best, a driver that is consistently better than the rest, and honestly, Button is no way in that class. He is a very good driver, but more like a Webber, he is good and can win a world title when he would be able to, but is in no way damned quick in every possible situation.

With that said, that makes Vettel's ranking in the A's a bit doubtfull. Yes he has been quick, and damned quick. But was it the case when his car was lesser(like early 2012)? To me no, he is quick when his car is, unlike Alonso or an Hamilton, who are always quick, and can drive around problems they are having.

I agree with most of bills choices, however I dont think Grosjean should be in the C. Also we could put Hulkenberg in B(people praise him, dont ask me why, and I dont really agree with it).

Also Paffett? no not really, also Bourdais is doubtful. Paffett has pretty much only simulator experience and his last open wheel race is at least 10 years ago(?).

Perez in D too, no way. Perez has had its ups and downs and will grow, so should at least be a C or maybe even a B.

I'm not going to pick my 22, simply because it is not possible. I am confident there are a crap load of drivers out there(in GP2 for example) that are as quick as Massa for example.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

xDama

Raikkonen & Schumacher in B-class, but Hamilton in A.

:lol:
"I race to win, and if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver." - Ayrton Senna

f1316

What about Valsecchi? Looking like becoming first GP2 champ not to make it into F1 (because of a lack of money)...

Neno

f1316 wrote:What about Valsecchi? Looking like becoming first GP2 champ not to make it into F1 (because of a lack of money)...
Valsecchi is "strangle plant", maybe is GP2 champ but he dose not have other "results" behind him to put him immediatly in F1 car without money, it's good for him he get Lotus 3rd seat, it will be good for him to learn from Kimi, also Lotus have new simulator and unlike time from he spend in Caterham this is step further in carrer. If Grosjean fuc* up again, maybe he will get a chance to drive E21.

I dont know if Maldonado would get his chance in Williams without sponsorship money.

zafhos28

Schumaher, Montoya, Buemi and Bourdas did lose their seat for different reasons. Not because they have sponsorship problems. So even if "money played no role, only talent" they would not be here.

Javert

bill shoe wrote:If money played no role, only talent, who would race F1 in 2013?
D's
Di Resta
Robin Frijns (potential to move up)
Jules Bianchi (potential to move up)
Buemi
Bottas
Perez
Gary Paffet
Sebastien Bourdais

Didn't make cut but almost-
Petrov
Alguuersuari
Kobayashi
Maldonado
Ricciardo

OK, there's 22 that made the cut. Don't worry about the exact level. If you add one to the list then you have to remove one. I think I'm missing too many non-F1 drivers such as DTM, Sports Cars, etc.
:lol: Gary Paffett and Sebastian Bourdais are very bad drivers, no way you can consider them D's when you leave out Maldonado, Ricciardo, Kobayashi, Algersuari

wesley123

xDama wrote:Raikkonen & Schumacher in B-class, but Hamilton in A.

Yeah because Raikkonen can drive around problems, and deal with a car not fully with his liking. Wait...he cannot. He is quick, but not always quick like I stated.

Also Schumacher in B is way overrated.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

motorloon1993

Maldanado isn't the most popular driver in the paddock and he's a maniac but you can't deny that he is a helluva quick driver on the odd occasion.

Pandamasque

Javert wrote: :lol: Gary Paffett and Sebastian Bourdais are very bad drivers......

Nando

xDama wrote:Raikkonen & Schumacher in B-class, but Hamilton in A.

Well Hamilton is definitely an A driver but i do agree on Kimi being in B. That´s a bit ridiculous frankly.
He has re-defined the word consistency.

Gotta love that Frijns is mentioned but not Da Costa.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

bill shoe

Raikkonen is deadly consistent but maybe not an A due to slight lack of qualy pace. I think that is the reason the 2012 Lotus "raced better than it qualified". Grosjean outqualified Raikkonen frequently. When Raikkonen was at Ferrari, Massa outqualified him frequently. I think this lack of n-th degree qualy pace costs points compared to the A-group.

I think 2013 will prove my Hamilton-is-currently-better-than-Schumacher opinion. Schumacher was roughly equal to Rosberg (the control driver in my experiement). I predict Hamilton will be comfortably and consistently quicker than Rosberg, in roughly the manner he was consistently quicker than Button.

Maldonado, yea, can be very quick, but his consistency was no better than Grosjean's. Maldo's points total last season in the Williams was a crime. That's what counts. Hard to say what group he should be in, but if you think on the grid then OK. We'll have a better idea after a few races vs Bottas.

I add Will Power, Indycar driver, as someone who is probably quick and consistent enough to make the grid. I'll terminate the imaginary employment of, oh, Di Resta. I'd rather include high-risk maybe's than proven mid-level talent like Di Resta.

To anyone who mentioned a driver I've never heard of: you are probably right.

CHT
CHT

checking in before it gets locked. [-o<

Gerhardsa

Top 22....
Excluding injury as well and current?
No particular order, just off the top of my head.

1 Alonso
2 Vettel
3 Hamilton
4 Button
5 Raikkonan
6 Maldanado
7 Kubica (if not injured)
8 Perez
9 Heidfeld
10 Webber
11 Kovalainen
12 Grojean
13 Rosberg
14 Hukenberg
15 Kobayashi
16 Schumacher M
17 Massa
18 ....
hmm..... the last couple are tought...
some help?
I do think that given the exact same car, these chaps would be pretty close with Hammy, Alo, Kimi and Vettel leading them just just...