Williams F1 Team 2013

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
zoro_f1

Re: Williams F1 Team 2013

Toto Wolf was not a engineer or designer. He is a man with a (money) bag. The car is in final phase but in a long term it will affect the team prospect.

Also Peter Windsor makes huge mistakes predicting the future. I wonder if he has any sense of talking for F1 anymore. Image
Image “The force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded”: [Obi Wan Kenobi]

timbo

zoro_f1 wrote:Toto Wolf was not a engineer or designer. He is a man with a (money) bag. The car is in final phase but in a long term it will affect the team prospect.
Sure, and I think in current climate having a competent manager with some backing is probably better than having a "star" designer (of course it's best to have both). I wonder whether there was something which we don't quite know which affects people. Maybe it has to do with IPO?

FW17

Wonder what Frank gets in return for Toto, sure he is not leaving without any stings attached.

Wish Ross and another of the top engineer would be back at Williams as part of the deal.

FW17

Susie Wolff to debut Williams FW35 at Idiada

Speaking about Susie’s continued role with the team Mike Coughlan, Technical Director, commented: ‘’Susie has proved herself to be a valuable addition to our driver roster and her feedback during simulator sessions is second to none. As a result we will be stepping up her role this year and I’m looking forward to the progress we can make with Susie’s input in conjunction with that of Pastor and Valtteri.’’
Women by nature speak more (3 times as much as men), devote more brainpower to chit-chat could be an attractive quality in a development driver.

Cam

WilliamsF1 wrote:

Speaking about Susie’s continued role with the team Mike Coughlan, Technical Director, commented: ‘’Susie has proved herself to be a valuable addition to our driver roster and her feedback during simulator sessions is second to none. As a result we will be stepping up her role this year and I’m looking forward to the progress we can make with Susie’s input in conjunction with that of Pastor and Valtteri.’’
Well now, I'm confused. 2012 saw Valtteri Bottas as reserve and test driver. When exactly did Susie get enough miles in the FW34 to have "second to none" ability to feedback the simulator compared to the real thing?

This kind of smacks as a PR stunt. Bottas arguably had more simulator experience combined with actual FW34 time than Susie did and probably more simulator time than both Maldo and Senna. In fact, just how often did Susie drive the FW34? You'd think feedback of a simulator would only be good if you had the real thing to compare it too. Or am I missing something here?
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

FW17

Simulator must be/hast to be doing a lot of things these days as track testing is gone. As long as sufficient feedback is being given by the sim driver between parts and setup changes and this is confirmed by the race drivers then sim driver can be said be doing a god job.

FW17

WilliamsF1 wrote:

Women by nature speak more (3 times as much as men), devote more brainpower to chit-chat could be an attractive quality in a development driver.

I don't see why this post was downgraded as "not useful".

Probably people here don't know what a development driver does.

Sevach

WilliamsF1 wrote:Williams departures: Mark Gillan, Tom McCullough (to Sauber) and Mark Barnett (to Force India).
Apparently, despite Windsor talking about new guys coming, the restructuring has been done in house, Xevi Pujolar, who was Pastor race engineer, takes a senior job on the pitwall (pretty much Gillan's function), Pastor and Valteri get new race engineer.

Kiril Varbanov

The finance of the team also seem solid - the have renewed the contract with Randstad, and have acquired new partner - Experian
I'm actually proud to work for Experian - apparently the hard work has paid off and we are in a good position to sponsor this legendary team.

Vasconia

Cam wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote:

Well now, I'm confused. 2012 saw Valtteri Bottas as reserve and test driver. When exactly did Susie get enough miles in the FW34 to have "second to none" ability to feedback the simulator compared to the real thing?

This kind of smacks as a PR stunt. Bottas arguably had more simulator experience combined with actual FW34 time than Susie did and probably more simulator time than both Maldo and Senna. In fact, just how often did Susie drive the FW34? You'd think feedback of a simulator would only be good if you had the real thing to compare it too. Or am I missing something here?
Hi is only giving some nice comments about Susie´s work in the simulartor, no more no less, he says nothing about driving the actual car.

Forza

stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

zoro_f1

maldonado begins to be more controversial off the track. on winter testing he said that the car was a step forward compared to 2012, but today on saturday on qualifying on Australian GP he said that the car is "undriveable".

maldonado quoted:
"I think we're back to the condition of two years ago in the team," said Maldonado. "We need to work very hard to solve the problems. The car is undriveable at the moment and we need to work. That's it."

Maldonado believes the main issue is Williams failing to get the right set-up for the Albert Park track. "For whatever reason, we didn't adapt our car to this track, whatever the conditions," he said.

"In the wet we were slow, in the dry as well." The Venezuelan is slightly more optimistic about his race prospects. "The pace for tomorrow seems to be much better but qualifying pace is really bad," Maldonado said.

the [source]
this is very different issue comparing to winter testing. i am begining to wondering, is it the car or is the driver!?

also, Bottas outqualifyed his team mate in his debut Q1 session.
Image “The force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded”: [Obi Wan Kenobi]

Sevach

It certainly is a very different story than the one he was telling during testing.

zoro_f1

Bottas has finished his debut race at Australia, but Maldonado went out... it looks like it was his error.

I hope that there will be available video very soon... :roll:

Maldonado quoted on official teams site:
Pastor Maldonado: It was a disappointing end to a difficult weekend for myself and the team. The car was not responding as we hoped in the conditions today and unfortunately I lost the back end and ended up in the gravel. We need to work hard to solve the problems in the car to be ready for the next race in Malaysia.
Valtteri Bottas was a little more adaptive to his car. He said:
Valtteri Bottas: I had a good start from my grid position and it felt great to be back racing again. A small mistake a few laps in cost me some places though. We got the maximum performance we could from the car today and although the pace isn’t there yet, there are still some positives to take away. The next race is only a week away, so we will work very hard to prepare as best we can and try to score our first points of the season.