Abuse on the rating system

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
mx_tifoso

Re: Abuse on the rating system

Cam wrote:...

If you choose to lock any thread that isn't purely 'technical' or not deemed worthy enough, you could isolate a vast majority of members. We're not all engineering guru's - and some of us prefer to post comments on various other aspects of F1 - some of those comments people like and vote for (or against too)...
Cam, we're not taking the easy way out nor are we disabling all non-technical threads. WB made a good point in mentioning that threads that have a ying-yang tendency will automatically be disabled, for example; the Caption Competition, or something like "which helmet is the best in 2013"? I hope you now have a better understanding since it's not a black and white issue, and I'm sure that it won't harm anyone.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Dragonfly

Scrape the voting system at all and you'll save a lot of trouble and headache. The more you try to modify and tune it, the more it'll backfire. If you lock certain parts and threads, ultras minded fans will come to the unlocked ones and eventually drive them off-topic.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

Kiril Varbanov

Dragonfly wrote:Scrape the voting system at all and you'll save a lot of trouble and headache. The more you try to modify and tune it, the more it'll backfire. If you lock certain parts and threads, ultras minded fans will come to the unlocked ones and eventually drive them off-topic.
+1 if this is really such a problem or a headache. Then clear / scratch all user ratings achieved so far. Or just hide them and make them visible upon clicking on the personal profile, but don't show them in threads.

Option two is to create an ability to 'hide' certain post and remember the preference - if I think that this post is, well, irrelevant, I will simply click on this 'hide' Javascript button and I will not bother again with it. Problem is that the state, from a purely programmatic point of view, will be maintained only for my login / cookie, but it will visible to the rest of the world.
Here, the mods can just send a warning to this user. Elaboration - select number of people to do that - extended list of moderators taking care of the content. If a moderator warns a user for inappropriate content, the post will be simply tagged with "The user has received a warning for this post".
This little pointer should tell the unregistered users to take the post with a grain of salt. Just a rough idea.

Raptor22

All these rules is starting to make participating in the forum tedious.
Watch the length of your quotes.
trim this,
don't attack that

Its starting to be more stimulating starting a group on Linked IN

wesley123

Dragonfly wrote:Scrape the voting system at all and you'll save a lot of trouble and headache. The more you try to modify and tune it, the more it'll backfire. If you lock certain parts and threads, ultras minded fans will come to the unlocked ones and eventually drive them off-topic.
On one side I agree, on the other I dont.

An rating system is something that can really outlight an post made. However, as with everything mankind does, it is possible to abuse it.

Therefore a lot of places implement a rating system that allows every user to up and downvote, and with downvotes based on opinion. The plus on this is that the only abuse is one asking for +1's, there isnt really a true downside in that. It is based more on what people like to read rather than what is good or not. The latter is one reason why it wont fit here, because the goal is to show what is good or not, not what people want to read(i.e. a commonly shared opinion).

Then, such rating systems are more used on comments, rather than actual topics(see disqus for example).

Also, such rating systems tend to order the posts by rating. Posts(or better said reply) with the highest rating are shown first.

Therefore such a rating system would not work in this environment.

But with that said, I got an idea, an idea that is completely irrelevant to this topic, but what might just work.

As a change in the rating system, one could maybe only given the positive option, for example someone could earn stars.

EDIT:
A possible replacement for the -1 could be that the users can hide a post for themselves.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

bhall

What about a system whereby only posts receive numeric ratings and posters receive generic "+" or "-" ratings based upon the total votes their posts have received?

Hail22

We only need to go into the 2012 Japanese Grand Prix thread for up/down vote abuse.

I believe there was an exchange of about 12 downvotes over a period of one day and it had to do with the whole debate about Alonso/Raikkonen and Vettel/RBR.

I agree that only the technical section(s) should be open to voting (aero, engine sub-sections included) But race weekends etc...eh They really don't need the voting system as 7 times out of 10 its a discussion about who is fastest on a particular day which in turn rattles the troll squad because "their" driver is being criticised and so on.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

zonk

I have a suggestion for users with down vote rights to punish users going constantly off topic in car treads.

Nando

"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

zonk

Yes. That is abuse. His post was valuable in my opinion.

hollus

You mean the picture of the nose with a cable hanging from it in page 51 of the F138 thread?
That was me, I donwnvoted that one (note: back to zero, which is very different from downvoting it down to -1).
It is a re-post, or a copy, of the very same picture which was in page 49 of the very same thread, some 30 posts upwards.

Do we really want positive votes for copying a picture? To each his own, but I'll continue to occasionally neutralize bogus +1 votes.

Nando, you still haven't answered exactly which of your posts that got downvoted (or was it re-zeroed?) was so undeserving of it. Examples, please?
Rivals, not enemies.

zonk

Ok. Fair Enough.

Steven
Owner

Thanks hollus for pointing that out.

As I have explained before as well, one should consider the rating of a post when judging if the rating is correct, rather than checking what votes were cast. I have seen many downvotes (including some of mine) issued to negate some strange upvotes. Such is not abuse, as long as posts end up with a reasonable rating. If would be abuse if:
- a valuable/normal post ends up with a negative rating
- some members issue only downvotes and don't bother voting up useful content

There is a reason why everybody is allowed x upvotes per 24 hours, but a lot less downvotes during that same timespan ;)

Nando

hollus wrote:Nando, you still haven't answered exactly which of your posts that got downvoted (or was it re-zeroed?) was so undeserving of it. Examples, please?
Missed that one.

Let´s just say both Tomba and Leeds has upvoted plenty of my posts back to 0 because of abuse.
Obviously some i had it coming but to deny there´s no abuse going on is absurd.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

zoro_f1

first of all... did you took that picture? are you the author of the picture? does that picture have rights not to be published on other site's/ thread's/ forum's :?:

second, when i published that pic i don't see any pic on the same thread. maybe it is was link or maybe it is edited later, but there was not visible picture. picture's can be visible if you use tag IMG. i don't look or search for the links (since im not baba vanga) and that picture was on other site, i took that information and post it on F139 thread. it's quite simple. i didn't took from other post... and you don't have evidence for that and this is abusing the system of voting!!! my post is useful for someone... that is a fact, but your opinion is very different from other members.

third, think before you vote! i am not guilty if other members cannot see others picture's. it's not our's problem, it is your's or other's!!! no one saw that post.

for the last... you have one original file on you computer and you make a copy of that file. what are the difference's? there is no difference... two files are identical and original. that is a power of computer technology... you have no evidence which pic is original and which is not original or copy!!!

Administration, please tell me is this fair enough to see pic's like they are... :shock:

Also, this system of downvote/upvote is quite unique... on other forums caused similar problems and later that system was removed. Now usually members can only upvote or "like" posts which can be found on XenForo forum software. All members can use "likes" on post which they think it's useful and bellow the post it's creating a list of members which likes that posts. Simple is that. :)
hollus wrote:You mean the picture of the nose with a cable hanging from it in page 51 of the F138 thread?
That was me, I donwnvoted that one (note: back to zero, which is very different from downvoting it down to -1).
It is a re-post, or a copy, of the very same picture which was in page 49 of the very same thread, some 30 posts upwards.

Do we really want positive votes for copying a picture? To each his own, but I'll continue to occasionally neutralize bogus +1 votes.

Nando, you still haven't answered exactly which of your posts that got downvoted (or was it re-zeroed?) was so undeserving of it. Examples, please?
Image “The force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded”: [Obi Wan Kenobi]