Abuse on the rating system

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
hollus

Re: Abuse on the rating system

So let me see if i get this clear, the person that upvoted that post was indeniably right to do so, but the person that downvoted it was undeniably wrong to do so?
Or are you complaining because a post identical to one from two pages back, containing exactly no text, context or explanations, gets a total rating of zero?
No, there is nothing wrong with reposting, it was to the point and probably helpful to the discussion, i just didn't think it guaranteed any extra recognition, since i remembered that the exact same information had been posted very recently in the same spot. I don't think that a post with a rating of zero should be interpreted as a punishment, and that was not my intention either.
And FYI many members here do go back to read the last X posts of any thread (X >> 30) before posting there. That is what allows an inteligent discussion not to be drowned in noise. To me that's just respect to the readers.
Rivals, not enemies.

Nando

Only upvotes would be great.
Posts out of line has a report button that allows mods to handle it.
The only way the system can be abused is through upvotes and that´s really not that bad.

"This post is not useful" / "Rate this post as valuable and informative"

The first one could be applied to 99.9999% of all posts ever made on F1T.
The other one seems to only be given to technical posts and if they are not then most likely someone will downvote it, or neutralize it which is another interesting thing as you are essentially pressing "This post is not useful" when neutralizing the post and not a "neutralize post" button.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Nando

raymondu999 wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
ringo wrote:Sad to say; but this car is on another planet design wise.
They are going to be champions this year again. :lol:
What makes you believe that? Which technical aspect of the car tells you that?
Quite simple really - ellipses :mrgreen:
Ringo gets downvoted because he has an opinion right or wrong. Perhaps OT.

I would say the two comments after that would fall in the exact same category....well except they don´t have an opinion, one has a question the other makes a really bad joke.

So...why don´t they have downvotes? Could it be that the two people who downvoted his post is also the two who reacted to his post? I think it might be.

Edit: and judging by the post below the argument has failed on the other side.
Last edited by Nando on 22 Feb 2013, 01:16, edited 1 time in total.

mx_tifoso

Zzzzzzzz
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

zoro_f1

this is confusing situation... you only see only by yourself.

let me explain: i am posting a pic, later someone can edit his post which was earlier than mine (few pages before) and he can put the same pic. you are a visitor now and how can you know which one is published first or second? you only see the number of the pages, but also everyone can edit their post any time they want.

you want me to write words!? have you've heard somewhere this phrase: ["A picture is worth a thousand words"]?

so you wanna say... if someone edit his post, I must do the same with deleting the content? are you serious man? Image

and that's the moments when you can see intelligence on a person? Image
hollus wrote:So let me see if i get this clear, the person that upvoted that post was indeniably right to do so, but the person that downvoted it was undeniably wrong to do so?
Or are you complaining because a post identical to one from two pages back, containing exactly no text, context or explanations, gets a total rating of zero?
No, there is nothing wrong with reposting, it was to the point and probably helpful to the discussion, i just didn't think it guaranteed any extra recognition, since i remembered that the exact same information had been posted very recently in the same spot. I don't think that a post with a rating of zero should be interpreted as a punishment, and that was not my intention either.
And FYI many members here do go back to read the last X posts of any thread (X >> 30) before posting there. That is what allows an inteligent discussion not to be drowned in noise. To me that's just respect to the readers.
Image “The force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded”: [Obi Wan Kenobi]

zonk

zoro_f1 wrote:this is confusing situation... you only see only by yourself.

let me explain: i am posting a pic, later someone can edit his post which was earlier than mine (few pages before) and he can put the same pic. you are a visitor now and how can you know which one is published first or second? you only see the number of the pages, but also everyone can edit their post any time they want.
You can see at the bottom of the post that it was edited, how many times and date, time.
Last edited by zonk on 21 Feb 2013, 23:45, edited 1 time in total.

zoro_f1

Downvotes and upvotes are not useful when someone can edit post's any time they want. Maybe my situation is a example of that. It has to be some kind of limit when you can edit your post or not. 15 minutes is quite a reasonable time for that.

Downvotes should be removed. Only upvoting would be good and it is more easier for everyone.

I don't know if this is a first situation of this kind but i think that when you implement some kind of a model on a forum, firstly it's good to make a test... like every engineer do his work.

ps - i don't see any information where someone made edit or not... not even how many times.
Image “The force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded”: [Obi Wan Kenobi]

zonk

Look up.

zoro_f1

you want me to say that i must search for the times when someone edits his posts? if someone edits his posts than everyone should do the same because of him... if others does not do that, the conversation can easily be ruined! and the situation is clear... downvoting will go on because lot of members are not searching for edited post rather than new.

folks, are you deadly serious? Image

zonk

Zoro be a man, stop complainig start contribute and someone somewhere will appreciate it.

Nando

Nice insult.

zonk

@Nando so far You are the one getting week bans for insulting others on the forum.

Richard

This thread is getting nowhere. It is stuck talking about just one or two debatable votes out of the hundreds cast very day.

Yes, there are a few mistakes or questionable votes as we go along, but that's human nature. I've not seen any examples of "abuse" of the system, just occasional human fallibility.

What we do know is that the very best threads are highlighted, and the members contributing the most are also visible. We're talking about members and threads with over 100 votes.

Zoro's pic ended up neutral, that's right for a pic we'd already seen with no commentary or discussion.