2013 Australian GP - Albert Park

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
n_anirudh

Re: 2013 Australian GP - Albert Park

Autograph session stage:

http://www.grandprix.com.au/event/off-t ... raph-stage

Schedule

11.30am Lotus Renault
12.30pm Williams
1.00pm Red Bull Racing
1.30pm Vodafone McLaren
2.00pm Ferrari
3.00pm Force India
3.30pm Marussia
4.00pm Toro Rosso
4.30pm Sauber
5.15pm Mercedes
5.30pm Caterham

Hail22

Fernando Alonso arrived in Melbourne 5 hours ago :)

https://twitter.com/alo_oficial
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Hobbs04

raymondu999 wrote:IMO he can't take title pressure and goes too conservative or too aggressive (depending on his mood). Also, he seems very bad on all Tilke circuits. I wonder... Is it something in the way Tilke designs his circuits? Or perhaps a manufacturing thing, eg Webber doesn't like the type of asphalt Tilke's contractors use?
On paper Australia is a tad bit more twitchy of a circuit with flicks of the wheel hard braking and on and off throttle compared to most Tilke style tracks. I find hitting the braking zones in Australia is the secret to this track much like Monaco and Brazil both Webber has been above average of late. Anyone remember Webber's first race in Australia, 5th if I'm not mistaken.

n_anirudh

Hail22 wrote:Fernando Alonso arrived in Melbourne 5 hours ago :)

Hez definitely staying at Crown across the yarra river. Some pre-race events include RBR at Fed SQ

Hail22

n_anirudh wrote:
Hail22 wrote:Fernando Alonso arrived in Melbourne 5 hours ago :)

Hez definitely staying at Crown across the yarra river. Some pre-race events include RBR at Fed SQ
Spot on mate, I'm at Crown towers in Southbank so hopefully if time permits I can catch up with some F1 Technical members whilst in Melbourne!
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Pandabeer

Hobbs04 wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:IMO he can't take title pressure and goes too conservative or too aggressive (depending on his mood). Also, he seems very bad on all Tilke circuits. I wonder... Is it something in the way Tilke designs his circuits? Or perhaps a manufacturing thing, eg Webber doesn't like the type of asphalt Tilke's contractors use?
I find hitting the braking zones in Australia is the secret to this track much like Monaco and Brazil.
Definitely. There are quite a few braking zones where you need to be spot-on. I just think about Turn 1,6,9,13,15. Braking too early and you lose so much time, braking too late and you just understeer around the corners. I know it's the same with every corner, but Melbourne is less forgiving.

StrikeForceF1

Hail22 wrote:Live blog with Daniel Ricciardo is now open!

http://www.news.com.au/sport/motor-spor ... 6594801320

Turn 1 this morning, 9:27am local time and its already hot here! Tipped to be 37 degrees Celcius today!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 0200_n.jpg

Ricciardo replies to the question about Pirelli's tyres:
Daniel Ricciardo:
Hi Hail, they proved quite a challenge in winter testing. I think we're gonna have to wait till racing starts to see how they perform. But they have changed since last year and should provide more excitement. I expect quite a few pit stops!
He has his loyalties in check :) I admire that:
9:30

Comment From Hail F1Technical
If you were given the option for a seat at the following: Infiniti Red Bull Racing, Scuderia Ferrari whom would you sign with

Daniel Ricciardo:
Infiniti Red Bull racing
Hi Hail.....Well done and thanks for sharing =D>

raymondu999

Hail22 wrote:He has his loyalties in check :) I admire that:

Comment From Hail F1Technical
If you were given the option for a seat at the following: Infiniti Red Bull Racing, Scuderia Ferrari whom would you sign with

Daniel Ricciardo:
Infiniti Red Bull racing
No offense mate, but with him contracted to the Red Bull family, nad having a much more direct (and more likely) path to Infiniti Red Bull Racing than to Scuderia Ferrari, did you expect him to say any different? Even if he did prefer Ferrari deep down, he'd have said Red Bull.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Pandabeer

Someone had to ask this. :lol:

KATO

raymondu999 wrote:
Nando wrote:Q

1. Vettel
2. Raikkonen
3. Hamilton
4. Button
5. Alonso
Wow. Interesting. Don't think I've seen a prediction for a while that doesn't feature teammates at all. In the name of curiosity, Nando - are they by any chance, your top 5 drivers too? ie the drivers you consider the "5 best" of the grid.

For my own predictions:

Qualifying
1. Lewis Hamilton - I don't think the Merc is the fastest car, but IMO it's a car that could very well suit the one-off demands of Albert Park.
2. Sebastian Vettel
3. Nico Rosberg
4. Romain Grosjean
5. Jenson Button
6. Kimi Raikkonen
7. Mark Webber
8. Fernando Alonso
9. Nico Hulkenberg
10. Felipe Massa

I'm predicting Checo to struggle in his first ever qualifying session with a top car - my guess is around mid-Q2, ie 13th/14th.

Race:
1. Sebastian Vettel - who takes the lead through the pits as it turns out the Mercedes has to do a stop more than Vettel.
2. Jenson Button - plays a smart, canny race with tyre preservation and shines in a front-limited circuit.
3. Fernando Alonso
4. Kimi Raikkonen - hounding Alonso for the podium though
5. Lewis Hamilton
6. Nico Hulkenberg
7. Mark Webber - having cold feet at Albert Park as always
8. Romain Grosjean
9. Felipe Massa
10. Nico Rosberg

Unfortunately I think Checo will struggle in the race too - trying to repeat a one-stop and it turns out that he's not such a great tyre manager without a tyre-friendly Sauber...

Strategy predictions... Giventhat in qualifyng, top cars generally run prime (Q1), option Q2 and option Q3, they generally have 2 new primes, and 1, or no, new options (if they run two laps in Q3).

As such I think some will go oPP (lowercase denotes qualifying-used, uppercase denotes new tyre set) - or some going more flat out and going ooPP. Basically - the two strategy choices we saw in China 2012.

I can't say Sergio will win the race (as my own prediction I dare not make a prediction ) but I will point out last season he had a Sauber qualified 14th and finished 8th now he has a McLaren. So I really don't know. But I wouldn't count him out..
"Suddenly I realised that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension."
__Ayrton Senna

Nando

Pandabeer wrote:There are quite a few braking zones where you need to be spot-on.
Like all other tracks,
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

raymondu999

KATO wrote:I can't say Sergio will win the race (as my own prediction I dare not make a prediction ) but I will point out last season he had a Sauber qualified 14th and finished 8th now he has a McLaren. So I really don't know. But I wouldn't count him out..
Yep. Precisely why I think he won't be able to repeat his one-stop "heroics"
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Juzh

quali predictions

if 30+°C
1. vettel
2. hamilton
3. rosberg
4. webber
5. alonso
6. grosejan
7. button
8. raikonnen
9. massa
10. perez

if colder temps ~15°C
1. hamilton
2. vettel
3. rosberg
4. alonso
5. webber
6-10. same as above.

RicerDude

Rain forecast for Saturday now not Sunday.

stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985