2013 Chinese GP - Shanghai

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
i70q7m7ghw

Re: 2013 Chinese GP - Shanghai

rkn wrote:
Nando wrote:Probably the best track for racing. I quite like the layout as well, very technical but with some cool corners, especially T1.
Are you serious? Or is this continuation of your recent merc fanboyism? Name one legendary that took place there. Even with the long straight and DRS it's pretty difficult to overtake, as are all Tilke dromes.
Not that I disagree with you, but Lewis Hamilton Vs. Sebastion Vettel in 2011 for the victory.

rkn

In a calendar with classic races like Montreal, Suzuka, Melbourne and Spa that always produce good racing (list goes on) it seems pretty biased to name the only track where we know merc will have a chance as the BY FAR the best race of the season. Since you highlight the two Pirelli races that have taken place there as the best, does that mean the track produces good racing or the tyres?
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 25 Mar 2013, 21:54, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed off topic comments

Nando

rkn wrote:....

In a calendar with classic races like Montreal, Suzuka, Melbourne and Spa that always produce good racing (list goes on) it seems pretty biased to name the only track where we know merc will have a chance as the BY FAR the best race of the season. Since you highlight the two Pirelli races that have taken place there as the best, does that mean the track produces good racing or the tyres?

they had a chance last year yes. It was a different car with a different philosophy. You can´t go on past success and just assume they will be competitive in China again.

SPA and Suzuka does not produce that good races in reality.
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 25 Mar 2013, 21:54, edited 1 time in total.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

SamH123

I reckon Mercedes have a great chance of win
Their race pace was almost the same as RB in Malaysia and China looks an even better track for them. There's a feel that they're improving quite fast all the time so I don't think the 3 week break will harm them.

What with Rosberg's excellent pace so far it wouldn't surprise me that much to see Rosberg making it 2 in a row in China.
I also think Mclaren will have sorted themselves about a bit and Button will be comfortably top 6, maybe better.

rkn

Nando wrote:Obviously that was your intent.
Nope, I'm just curious to why someone would give the Chinese GP the great honour being BY FAR the best race of the season (IMO the season has much better to offer), but then it continues:
Nando wrote:SPA and Suzuka does not produce that good races in reality.
This makes it evident that the person doesn't have a clue of what he's talking about.

@SamH123

Merc looked strong yesterday until the last stint but I wonder if there pace was a little bit inflated, because they were a bit lighter than the rest (HAM said he was saving fuel from lap 25 onwards). But I do agree that Merc, McLaren and the rest will give us a better picture of where they are (if it stays dry) and that it will be clearer how the teams stand relative to each other.

Vasconia

China is Nico´s territory, he is always tremendously fast there so I expect him to fight for the pole and the victory, specially after having seen the surprisingly good long pace of Mercedes.

The pole will be something between RB and Mercedes with the Ferraris not very far.

I also expect a great battle between Nico and Alonso, who should be the hardest rival in this race.

Nice track by the way but I still prefer Malaysia.

Nando

rkn wrote:
Nando wrote:SPA and Suzuka does not produce that good races in reality.
This makes it evident that the person doesn't have a clue of what he's talking about.
You are quite hilarious and i wonder if you actually has watched the last couple of SPA and Suzuka races.

the most entertainment we have gotten from SPA in recent years was when Grosjean took out half the title-contenders.
Otherwise it´s the usual Kemmel straight pass with a sprinkle of entertainment from Vettel as he passed Rosberg in Blanchimont.
I would say the most interesting one would be SPA 2008 but of course that was rain, not spa that created that spectacle.

Suzuka i don´t even need to go into but it´s normal for people who think that because the tracks are considered some of the best, proper driver tracks that the racing is automatically better but if you actually watched the races there´s not that much going.

Last edited by mx_tifoso on 25 Mar 2013, 21:55, edited 1 time in total.

Dyanxx

Some people claiming China is Nico's territory, have you not seen Hamilton's record there? he is also very strong here, it will be a great battle between the two drivers.

AnthonyG

Dyanxx wrote:Some people claiming China is Nico's territory, have you not seen Hamilton's record there? he is also very strong here, it will be a great battle between the two drivers.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

McMrocks

Isn't this a too agressive attitude from a few people here? :D

back to topic:
The track is nothing special like Monaco, Spa and so on. But it is not a bad/boring (are boring tracks bad tracks?) track like Valencia Street Circuit. As we know for many teams it is important to race in China because China is a growing market place. =P~
The long straight is long enough to overtake and as someone mentioned one really thrilling race took place there. But there weren't many visitors in the last years IIRC.

raymondu999

Dyanxx wrote:Some people claiming China is Nico's territory, have you not seen Hamilton's record there? he is also very strong here, it will be a great battle between the two drivers.
Both are very strong to be honest. Perhaps we might even see a 1-2? Maybe "Multi 3-4" calls? :lol:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Nando

2007 - Pole Position (went off in the race)
2008 - Pole Position, Fastest lap, Win.
2009 - Started 9th, came 6th (Heikki did a much better job)
2010 - started 6th, ended 2nd, Fastest lap
2011 - Started 3rd, Win
2012 - Q 2nd, started 7th, ended 3rd.

windtravels

Nando wrote:
2007 - Pole Position (went off in the race)
2008 - Pole Position, Fastest lap, Win.
2009 - Started 9th, came 6th (Heikki did a much better job)
2010 - started 6th, ended 2nd, Fastest lap
2011 - Started 3rd, Win
2012 - Q 2nd, started 7th, ended 3rd.
I would say thats a pretty strong record. Should be an interesting battle.

rkn

Nando wrote:Otherwise it´s the usual Kemmel straight pass with a sprinkle of entertainment from Vettel as he passed Rosberg in Blanchimont.
I would say the most interesting one would be SPA 2008 but of course that was rain, not spa that created that spectacle.

Suzuka i don´t even need to go into but it´s normal for people who think that because the tracks are considered some of the best, proper driver tracks that the racing is automatically better but if you actually watched the races there´s not that much going.

Ait, before I remind how F1 history goes back more than just a couple of years, I'll start off with these two non-Kemmel goodies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yScLDcxTtrk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYN-4E_w2wg side by side through corners at speeds of 250-300kph.
some history
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foiswIS44AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcIktUlUMqQ Iconic moments in F1 motor racing history
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9f8B5HDuRU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE-aR9cK7w8 possibly one of the best overtakes ever.

There's more where that came from.

Nando

snippets from what is one and half hours of racing.
If one or two overtakes makes a whole race then i would agree.

China to me has produced entertainment from the word go until the checkered flag.
Trains of cars overtaking each other, some people making mistakes falling back 8-10 places, great side by side action etc etc.

Anyway it´s clear we disagree so let´s agree to disagree. You have your opinion and not mine, and i have my own hopefully.