FEATURE REQUEST: Ignore Functionality

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
i70q7m7ghw

FEATURE REQUEST: Ignore Functionality

I want to be able to ignore users and all posts they make.

So for example, I clearly identify a user whose posts I find of no value and do not wish to see them. I want to be able to click and ignore button on that user, and all of their posts will be hidden from my view.

What do we think?

wesley123

Re: FEATURE REQUEST: Ignore Functionality

Sounds like a pretty good idea. But instead of completely removing the post from the view that you see maybe posts from that person could be collapsed, that would still give the possibility to view this post, even if it is hidden by default.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

gridwalker

I believe it would be hard to implement this in such a way as to also ignore all replies to that post. Thus, it would cause some issues with threads appearing disjointed and you couldn't guarantee that you would be able to completely ignore the post at the end of the day due to the possibility of other users using the quote function.

Nice in theory, very difficult to implement in a practical way.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

wesley123

Auto Hidden isnt a hard to implement feature, it is already present here, so I doubt auto hide of the user post would be complicated. However removing these posts from the users view is a bit harder and I doubt it is positive for the users read through the topics.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

gridwalker

wesley123 wrote:Auto Hidden isnt a hard to implement feature, it is already present here, so I doubt auto hide of the user post would be complicated. However removing these posts from the users view is a bit harder and I doubt it is positive for the users read through the topics.
For individual posts, sure, but replies and quotations will still be shown (unless the site also implements threaded replies) ... this makes completely ignoring a specific user a practical nightmare.

If replies created a nested conversation thread, ignoring users would be much simpler in practice. As things stand, you may be able to ignore specific posts you will still see other users interacting with the person you wish to ignore.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

Kiril Varbanov

Nice one, I've already shared similar thought a while ago - http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 20#p411620

i70q7m7ghw

I would be happy if it could just be done on a per user basis for now. Anything that gets quoted would be fine, the problem users tend to only quote each other :lol:
wesley123 wrote:Auto Hidden isnt a hard to implement feature, it is already present here, so I doubt auto hide of the user post would be complicated. However removing these posts from the users view is a bit harder and I doubt it is positive for the users read through the topics.
Whether it's positive or not is purely my choice. I choose to ignore the users posts, I no longer see them, everyone else can carry on as normal.

CMSMJ1

Agree with Diesel - the improve my signal to noise ration by blocking some users would improve my experience here at F1T
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

Steven
Owner

Do we agree that the best possible way to implement this is to hide posts from the threads, as if they would have a low rating? This would allow you to expand the item and still read it.

There is however an issue with this, as it might interfere with the voting system. Say we allow voting on "foes", would that not lead to abuse? (perhaps not, because now nobody has foes anyway).
If we'd block voting on posts by foes, this could mean that there will be less downvotes on posts, as users will not be reading posts made by their "foes".

Thoughts?

WhiteBlue

It could potentially lead to less confrontation. If one particular user's posts have a tendency to upset you it could bring out the worst in you. I would see the negative impact on the voting system as secondary to the sanitation that the ignore function would bring. Ignored posts in quotations are also not such a big problem IMO. They will probably leak single digit percentage of what would normally nag you. I say go ahead with it.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

bhall

It's called "self-control," people. It's not always easy, and you won't always have it. But, it's far better than relying on a digital nanny to keep you out of trouble.

Free discourse is just that.

blokkie

gridwalker wrote:I believe it would be hard to implement this in such a way as to also ignore all replies to that post. Thus, it would cause some issues with threads appearing disjointed and you couldn't guarantee that you would be able to completely ignore the post at the end of the day due to the possibility of other users using the quote function.

Do you know how to code ? Or even know about simple db-schema's ? Prolly not
Takes about 1 hour to do it roughly , 1 hour to make it pretty :)

On a site like this ..
every user have a unique user_id (UID)
every topic has a unique id (TID)
every comment has a unique id (CID)

so ... in the user preference field , add a simple field that does a querry on that :)

sql querry would be something like " select PID and CID from table where UID is (replace by user-number) "
unless there is a abstraction layer for db-querry's .. which makes it even easier :)

just my $0,05 ...

Steven
Owner

blokkie wrote:
gridwalker wrote:I believe it would be hard to implement this in such a way as to also ignore all replies to that post. Thus, it would cause some issues with threads appearing disjointed and you couldn't guarantee that you would be able to completely ignore the post at the end of the day due to the possibility of other users using the quote function.

Do you know how to code ? Or even know about simple db-schema's ? Prolly not
Takes about 1 hour to do it roughly , 1 hour to make it pretty :)

On a site like this ..
every user have a unique user_id (UID)
every topic has a unique id (TID)
every comment has a unique id (CID)

so ... in the user preference field , add a simple field that does a querry on that :)

sql querry would be something like " select PID and CID from table where UID is (replace by user-number) "
unless there is a abstraction layer for db-querry's .. which makes it even easier :)

just my $0,05 ...
Actually blokkie, he was pointing at filtering the posts that were quoting the posts of ignored users. That is a totally different story than what you are saying :)

flyboy2160

:D I know this will get me in trouble, but I can't resist: maybe add a running poll option on "most ignored" users. :D

flynfrog

Tomba wrote:Do we agree that the best possible way to implement this is to hide posts from the threads, as if they would have a low rating? This would allow you to expand the item and still read it.

There is however an issue with this, as it might interfere with the voting system. Say we allow voting on "foes", would that not lead to abuse? (perhaps not, because now nobody has foes anyway).
If we'd block voting on posts by foes, this could mean that there will be less downvotes on posts, as users will not be reading posts made by their "foes".

Thoughts?
it might prevent a user crying to mods to reupvote them.

But I do agree it will eliminate the down votes for the users that probably deserve them the most. On the other hand I think id rather have an ignore function rather than the voting system.