2013 Chinese GP - Shanghai

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
iotar__

Re: 2013 Chinese GP - Shanghai

strad wrote:there is nothing new about it,,,It's just been codified..Whenever an opponent has his front wheel up to your cockpit you must leave room. It's called an overlap.
No, not 'whenever', context matters, direction, speed, placement and circumstances, point about defending is a valid one.

Imagine the situation when one driver outbreaks another one kamikaze style in a position where he can't make the corner at any reasonable speed. But his front wheels are where the rules say about leaving room. Do the other driver have an obligation to suddenly disappear? Of course not.

PABLOEING

Massa out of Ferrari now......the overtake of Vettel to him is a shame.....

Dragonfly

PABLOEING wrote:Massa out of Ferrari now......the overtake of Vettel to him is a shame.....
Same applies to Vettel tho, he simply let Alonso past :) (and was instructed to do so over the radio)
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

f1universe

Dragonfly wrote:
PABLOEING wrote:Massa out of Ferrari now......the overtake of Vettel to him is a shame.....
Same applies to Vettel tho, he simply let Alonso past :) (and was instructed to do so over the radio)
Massa almost never put a fight against other drivers, he only defend hard against Alonso, not a reason to fire him but maybe the team needs to tell him that Alonso is not his only rival on track.

anon16

I keep hearing that Shanghai is a front limited circuit which suits the Ferrari, where as Bahrain is rear limited which should give RBR & Lotus an advantage. To what extent was the Ferrari's (Alonso's) advantage here due to the track?

raymondu999

anon16 wrote:I keep hearing that Shanghai is a front limited circuit which suits the Ferrari, where as Bahrain is rear limited which should give RBR & Lotus an advantage. To what extent was the Ferrari's (Alonso's) advantage here due to the track?
That China is a front-limited circuit is a given. Whether (or how much) that helped Ferrari is anyone's guess.

It's a bit tough to extrapolate any such thing out at the moment. The two front-limited circuits we've seen so far have also been run in cold weather, whereas the rear limited circuit we've seen so far has been in hot weather - leaving us guessing as to whether it was the front/rear limitation or the heat/cold that was doing the changes to the pecking order.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

PABLOEING

f1universe wrote:
Dragonfly wrote:
Massa almost never put a fight against other drivers, he only defend hard against Alonso, not a reason to fire him but maybe the team needs to tell him that Alonso is not his only rival on track.
100% WITH YOU..... :evil:

Vasconia

Mika1 wrote:It's Hamilton's second podium in 3 races for Mercedes, not bad imo.
Now it seems that Schumacher´s mechanics are working for Nico, poor guy. :?

Anyway, Lewis drove very well, he is taking the maxium from the car.

Alonso´s drive was superb, he was super fast, consistent and very intelligent in the overtakes, which were clean and very wel done.

CHT
CHT

actually should Vettel have pitted for option tires 1 or 2 laps earlier, do you guys think he would have over taken Lewis?

turbof1

Vettel said if he had one more lap he would have finished the job. I think if he pitted 1 lap earlier, but not 2, he would have made it. If he made it 2 laps earlier I think his tyres would have gone off and Hamilton would had passed Vettel again.
#AeroFrodo

turbof1

I think he would have made it. If there was another lap Vettel would definitely passed Hamilton on the start-finish straight. Then he could just ease off, with his next and final lap 2 seconds slower.
#AeroFrodo

foxmulder_ms

Maelstrom wrote:I would agree that Raikonnen was faster and had slightly better tyre degradation. Hamilton admitted that Alonso and Raikonnen were faster. But while Ferrari was much faster, the gap between Lotus and Merc was not that vast. I think they can catch up.

Yeah but Raikkonen car was damaged and had terrible start so the gap was more than what we saw.

beelsebob

foxmulder_ms wrote:
Maelstrom wrote:I would agree that Raikonnen was faster and had slightly better tyre degradation. Hamilton admitted that Alonso and Raikonnen were faster. But while Ferrari was much faster, the gap between Lotus and Merc was not that vast. I think they can catch up.
Yeah but Raikkonen car was damaged and had terrible start so the gap was more than what we saw.
I think the conclusion I draw is actually simply that the Merc is terrible on a heavy fuel load, but excellent on a light one. Ferrari seem to have maintained their heavy fuel performance since last year, and Lotus seem fairly evenly balanced throughout the race. It appears Merc need to take pole by about 0.4 seconds to have a race pace good enough to take the win as it stands. Maybe even 0.6 against an RBR.

oT v1

Anyone else just completely surprised RB didnt go for a more conventional quali and race plan??

Really glad for kimi (and the championship for that matter), really looking forward to Bahrain and other cars coming to the forefront.
The Power of Dreams

Hail22

Leweis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso side by side / Comparative lap:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQbqeyNaU7I[/youtube]

Felipe Massa / Smedley Radio comms:

Felipe Massa during FP3:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnGHMkuWTQk[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65M0SYaLRNY[/youtube]

Van Der Garde onboard lap:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK3BGiABRVM[/youtube]

Kimi Raikkonen Angry about Perez's rookie driving:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPjcG9IR7Bw[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwjKPdqEda0[/youtube]

Button Surprised about Ricciardo making it to Q3:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzPzOlxSRcA[/youtube]

A constant theme in the radio chatter between Smedley and Massa are tires, Alonso did a 38.0 to which Smedley said "He was scared of the tires"...wow talk about giving up being the best...its all about preservation of shonky tires.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve